2005 Focus ST 30,000 mile review

oldracer

The newer people here may not know that as a former racer, (oldracer..duh), that I despise FWD cars generally.

That being said I have just turned 30,000 on my 2005 ST and felt a fair review was in order.

I have a Steeda CAI, SCT2 premium fuel custom tune, Steeda short shiftter,(amazing improvement), Mobil 1, tint and BFG G-Force Sport tires at this time.

On order is a Focaljet upper tie bar from Hector @ Central Florida Motorsports and then FRPP springs. Car already has SVT struts/shocks & 4 wheel disc brakes & ABS from the factory.

Factory Options are: Moonroof, T&T steering wheel, pw, pm, traction control, heated seats, Sony Audiophile system, steering wheel audio controls and cc, and Leather & velour type seats. 2.3 L DOHC and 5 speed trans.

First let me list all the problems, A/C compressor seal was leaking at delivery, promptly fixed.

OK that has been all the problems so far......

I drive 100 miles/day to KSC and run 65-80++ and with my A/C on constantly since Feb, my mileage for the last 5000 miles is averaging 27.9 mpg. Best ever was 32.6 mpg, worst was 22.9 mpg...hammering it all week and 125+ mph several days in a row....

The tires and shifter made a bigger impact than the power increase in fun to drive, it turns in like our SVT Focus, but with more roll of course until I put the springs and upper tie bar in it.

This car has been trouble free and reliable every day for the 18 months since I got it new, (Feb 06), and while I bought it as a throwaway commuter car, it has earned my respect as a fun little ride. I still don't like the FWD handling over RWD, but it can be hustled if some skill and sense is used.

The sad part is, of course, Ford will not be making these after 2007, and my dealer said they sold so poorly that they don't even order them anymore.

Mine sat from Oct 05 until I finally bought it in Feb 06 @ X-plan. MSRP was $20,490, I paid $16, 218 +TTT for a total out the door of

$18,253.

Resale like all Fords, sucks, so I am adding a 100K mile, $0 Ded Warranty fronm the Credit Union for $1,469 and throwing at away at 100,000 miles.

I have to give this car credit, it gets the job done with a high level of fun included.

Highest praise I can offer, is that I would buy another one if I'm still commuting that distance.

We drive it on weekends sometimes instead of the Mustangs because it really is a fun car.

I can see why Focus sales are up, imagine if we got the good one from Europe!!!! :stirpot:

Edited by oldracer

+1

I'm just an old guy, not an old racer but he's right on. I owned an 05 ST with all options. Traded it for an 06 Mustang (pony package). The Focus was much more fun to drive. I too never had one problem with the Focus during the year I drove. Wish I had it back.

My wife has an 07 SES auto with everything but a sunroof.

We BOTH love it.

So much so that I have been thinking about picking up a used one to tweek and mod and run around in.

Good quickness, driving dinamics and a real solid sticky feel on the road.

Maybe even entertain building a NASA SPEC FOCUS for a little extra money.

Anyway - I have told people they are a real steal.

Shop and negotiate and go away happy with one.

Oldracer,

My Liquid Grey 2005 Focus ST was ordered new from the factory in July, 2004. I have almost 9,000 miles on it and a few mods including the Steeda CAI. Problems have been nil, and it have delivered as high as 32 mpg with the A/C on @70+ mph. The 2.3L engine has big block torque and makes a great sound at 6750 rpm.

It is a shame that the 2.3L is discontinued for the 2008 Focus as it works very well with the automatic transmission too.

Dayna2.3

I've had my ST for almost 2 years now. Had to have the parking brake adjusted when I first got it. (engaged way too high). That's been

it. It's been a great little car. Granted it's not like driving the Mustang when I want to play, but I love it. For a FWD, it's actually kinda fun. When I bought it all I wanted was a 4 dr sedan w/stick and a/c. Ended up with the ST model. Good karma I guess! LOL

On a side note: My Mach 1 now has a rear license plate frame that says:

SCREW YOUR PRIUS

THIS CAR GETS SMILES PER GALLON!

closserd,

The SCT2 tuner allowed me to remove the 112 mph speed limiter and raise the redline to 7000. Tried 7200 - no power added, no point to leave it there

Raising the redline enables me to hit 60 in 2nd....with the 93 tune it will pull from 1200-7000 with no flat spots or hesitation.

I am considering an exhaust, but I don't want it any louder...I may do a Cosworth header....and Borla setup if the noise is tolerable, but I'm not feeling the need, it runs great, it sounds good...so no problem leaving it alone so far.

I toyed with the idea of putting in a Mazdaspeed 3 driveline, but its smarter to just go buy the car new.

I have tired 3 brands of fuel: Sunoco, BP & Exxon with the following observations;

I drive the same route every day and pretty much the same speed 55-100 mph range...God bless my Passport 8500!!!

Exxon = 25-28 mpg

BP = 27-30 mpg

Sunoco = 27-32+

All are 93 octane and always purchased at the same stations, I have no clue why there is a difference other than additives...I guess it just likes the Sunoco best.

Same type of results with the 3 Mustangs, just much lower #'s DUH!!!

I can keep up with our 2002 SVT Focus, also SCT2 tuned with a Steeda CAI & Mobil 1, I just cannot do it over 85ish and cannot pass him...its a fast little bitch..and 6 speed helps too...

1 of these days when we aren't tuning the Mustangs at the strip, I will run it just to see what it has...I would guess low 15's/90ish on a good air day...but who knows???

Mine is also Liquid Gray and the only option missing is the side airbags....everyone who drives it always says the same thing: wow way better than I expected and quick too....for a Focus... assholes!!!

My Civic owning neighbor (2005 LX), said if he drove this car, he would of bought it instead of the Civic..

He was stunned at the content and transaction price, he paid less than a $1000 under what I did and he has: no power, no moonroof, no leather combo seats, and no premium stereo, no heated seats and no 6 disc.......but he gets 33-35 mpg not a tradeoff I would make...

We just put Nitto Neo Gen's on the SVT, they are even better than my BFG G-Sport tires, next time I may put them on, although these BFG's have 15K on them with minimal wear and as I keep inflated to 34 psi and the alignment is perfect they are wearing evenly.

With FWD rotation & balance every 5000 miles is essential to get any wear out of the tires.

I am going to get it aligned shortly as it has never been done...I will also dump the brake/clutch fluid, coolant and PS fluid.

I do all my cars/trucks once a year, the heat here destroys fluids, interiors and paint quickly.

Maintenance is cheaper than repair & downtime...

I love the seats, with my back issues, the heated seats and the great comfort make for a great package for long rides.

closserd,

The SCT2 tuner allowed me to remove the 112 mph speed limiter and raise the redline to 7000. Tried 7200 - no power added, no point to leave it there

Raising the redline enables me to hit 60 in 2nd....with the 93 tune it will pull from 1200-7000 with no flat spots or hesitation.

I am considering an exhaust, but I don't want it any louder...I may do a Cosworth header....and Borla setup if the noise is tolerable, but I'm not feeling the need, it runs great, it sounds good...so no problem leaving it alone so far.

I toyed with the idea of putting in a Mazdaspeed 3 driveline, but its smarter to just go buy the car new.

I have tired 3 brands of fuel: Sunoco, BP & Exxon with the following observations;

I drive the same route every day and pretty much the same speed 55-100 mph range...God bless my Passport 8500!!!

Exxon = 25-28 mpg

BP = 27-30 mpg

Sunoco = 27-32+

All are 93 octane and always purchased at the same stations, I have no clue why there is a difference other than additives...I guess it just likes the Sunoco best.

Same type of results with the 3 Mustangs, just much lower #'s DUH!!!

I can keep up with our 2002 SVT Focus, also SCT2 tuned with a Steeda CAI & Mobil 1, I just cannot do it over 85ish and cannot pass him...its a fast little bitch..and 6 speed helps too...

1 of these days when we aren't tuning the Mustangs at the strip, I will run it just to see what it has...I would guess low 15's/90ish on a good air day...but who knows???

Mine is also Liquid Gray and the only option missing is the side airbags....everyone who drives it always says the same thing: wow way better than I expected and quick too....for a Focus... assholes!!!

My Civic owning neighbor (2005 LX), said if he drove this car, he would of bought it instead of the Civic..

He was stunned at the content and transaction price, he paid less than a $1000 under what I did and he has: no power, no moonroof, no leather combo seats, and no premium stereo, no heated seats and no 6 disc.......but he gets 33-35 mpg not a tradeoff I would make...

We just put Nitto Neo Gen's on the SVT, they are even better than my BFG G-Sport tires, next time I may put them on, although these BFG's have 15K on them with minimal wear and as I keep inflated to 34 psi and the alignment is perfect they are wearing evenly.

With FWD rotation & balance every 5000 miles is essential to get any wear out of the tires.

I am going to get it aligned shortly as it has never been done...I will also dump the brake/clutch fluid, coolant and PS fluid.

I do all my cars/trucks once a year, the heat here destroys fluids, interiors and paint quickly.

Maintenance is cheaper than repair & downtime...

I love the seats, with my back issues, the heated seats and the great comfort make for a great package for long rides.

Oldracer,

Thanks for all the updated information on your ST! Actually the speed limiter is set for 120 mph, but I have never been over 90 mph. Second gear is good for 57 mph.

I run 100% Shell 87 octane. The way to check on the best brands is to go to www.toptiergas.com which lists recommended brands. I use Motorcraft 5w 20 semi-synthetic.

I kept the Pirelli P6s with NOS Ford Contour SVT wheels. The ride is too good to mess with.

My ST has factory options such as front side airbags, moonroof, 6cd changer with trunk mounted subwoofer, and the leather/suede seats. I got a $2K factory rebate and then paid $100.00 below invoice.

I like all the Cosworth upgrades but I don't want to void the factory warranty. The exhaust is fine as is as. Texas has the same issues with fluid breakdown.

We also have a 2003 Focus ZTS with the 2.3L PZEV auto. And an old Corvette.

Dayna 2.3

closserd,

My P6's were noisy, harsh and started to separate around 15,000 miles....I never liked Pirelli's anyway but thought I would run out the OEM rim protectors before I upgraded. In fairness to them I hit a piece of broken cinderblock that fell off a landscape truck that I simply could not avoid with the R/F side...it trashed both tires and I replaced them immediatly, they still held air and all, just killed the tire integrity.

Regardless of the early demise,(YEAH!!!) I would have never even considered them as a replacement based on their performance for 15K miles.

I wish I had done it the day I brought it home after feeling the improvement.

All I can say is if you think P6's ride good, wait until you put real tires ON!! You will be astonished at the change.

I found the P6's had road noise that was excessive and traction was poor wet or dry, plus compared to the BFG's they did not ride well either....really a quantum difference with this upgrade.

I personally have had poor experiences with Pirelli, Continental and Goodyear both on the street and on my race cars.

We were offered free Dunlop or Pirelli for the 4 bike race team as sponsors, we paid for our Michelins...they worked better.

The BFG's are smoother, quieter, ride better and as a bonus, turn in is much sharper too.

The BFG's are a performance tread design, but handle our torrential downpours excellently, with no hydroplaning up 80 ish even, (I tested them!!)

I kept the stock 5 spoke ST wheels and the stock 205/50/16 size tires for now.

I also used to be a Porsche, Audi, VW Service Mgr for 5 years and I am primarily a Michelin fan for most applications.

Performance tires are so good these days that they really do it all.

Tires are the only part of your car that is supposed to touch the ground, be picky, it won't be $$$ wasted for sure.

I wish I could get you to drive my car, the minor changes/upgrades transformed an already fun and zippy piece into a joy to drive anytime, and I'm not done yet...

As a disclaimer; all my miles are generally highway, between 55-90 where noise, harshness, and a tendency to hydroplane are very pronounced.

If most of your driving is city or not at a 30 mile sustained run at speed that may explain why they seem better.

The recommended inflation of 34/34 made them unbearable for me and they were ugly too!!!! J/K, that would be shallow....

Edited by oldracer

Glad to hear you've enjoyed your 2005 ST. I just bought a used 2006 ST about 2 weeks ago for my daily driver. Pitch black, w/ the cloth red inserted seats. Picked it up with roughly 15,000 mi, got it out the door for $12,281 (tax, title, liscencing included). Figured it was a good deal given it would cost another $6-7k to replicate it on a 2007. Had one problem so far, and it was due to the fact of my sensitive hearing. A spash gaurd on the drivers side rear wheel well was missing a fastener to hold it down. Consequently it rattled, but I was lucky to isolate it, and put another screw in it. Believe it came from the factory that way, but with that fixed no problems. Drives quiet, has alot of pep (lets say 1st to 2nd shifts are a blast ;)) Been getting around 27-28mpg on my mixed city/highway driving. Salesman said they too had problems selling it because it had a stick, but the clutch and shifter throw is decent in my opinion, better than the mustangs.

• 2 months later...

35,000 mile review as of today.

No problems, continues to get 27-30 mpg highway and the only change, (besides new Mobil 1) is an upper strut tiebar form Focaljet by way of CFM.

Tightened up the front end some more.

I got to get to the springs and anti-roll bars, just short of time as usual.

We drove our C230 Sport to Boston and back averaged 28.1 for 3,047 total miles and 59 mph average speed.

Very nice road car, way more comfortable than our 2007 Sport Trac was as far as seats go...those hard seats do you right on long trips.

First day was 920 miles to Aberdeen MD....even my bad back was fine....

The seats in my ST are damn close to the same comfort level, although we haven't driven it on any long trips yet...

I will probably run it up to Asheville this fall to give it a good "Italian tuneup"

Still impressed except for the FWD thing, this is one great little car, I could not live with a Honda Civic or Corolla for this task...

nowhere as fun and powerful..............

• 4 weeks later...

This is the 36,000 mile report.........No problems, no issues.

I will write again at 40,000 I expect I'll have time to do some upgrades, (17" SVT wheels, Turbo form a Mazdzspeed 3 maybe, struts and shocks, SS brake lines etc.)

I decided to push the envelope a little....resale is poor anyway, why not have some fun.......

• 1 month later...

40,000 mile update......turned 40K today.

No problems other than the tires are going to need replacement shortly after 25,000 miles of abuse...

No time to do any changes to the car, maybe brake upgrade will be done in the next 2 mos or so...still have original

brakes and rotors, wearing well.

Put 10K miles since Nov and it sat for 2 weeks over Christmas vacation, we drove the Mercedes all the time and the '93 LX 5.0

of course.....

I'm looking into a Bullitt if they can be had.......sure would like one...

• 1 month later...

Well, I replaced the tires with the same BFG G-Trac Sport Comp's I had....car returned to silent, comfortable ride again.

I will turn 42,000 miles tomorrow and will replace Mobil 1 and Mobil synthetic filter again this weekend.

The car will be 2 yrs old Sat Feb 16th

Still no failures, issues or concerns despite the sporty use it sees.

The SCT2 tune continues to be flawless andf is delivering 27-30 mpg w/o A/C on.....and that is running 75-90 mph everyday

on the highway for 25-30 miles of my 48 mile 1 way commute.

I am Mustang hunting again, as we want one for a toy for club and weekends....I'm leaning towards a 2008 GT or a 2004 Terminator.

Either one will get mods, the '08 has the advantage of the A/T for my bad back and legs.......plus we can order it the way we want it.

"Fred" as I call my ST will be around as a commuter/extra car until the end of my 100K aftermarket warranty.....no sense in taking

the $$$ loss by selling or trading it...it is the Anti-Ricer and still new to me.

The new Focus is Fugly to me and with no 2.3 or meaningful power...no sale here.

I could see a Fusion V6 maybe if I am still commuting when this goes, but when I get the shop....Mustang will be driver then.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. This car would have sold better if Ford hadn't destroyed the interior with the refresh.

As for the GeForce Sports, I have some on a Mazda Protege5. They turn in very quickly, reducing perceived understeer quite a bit.

The downside of this is that they follow the crown of the road more than the average tire. These tires really want to turn, and look for every opportunity to do so.

Mine started out quiet, but have gotten much noisier with age. I think I'm about halfway through them.

If you don't mind this noise, and do want sharp turn-in, these tires are a great buy for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

44,250 miles still no problems/issues.

I am researching whether a Mazdaspeed 3 driveline will be a difficult swap or not...the thought intrigues me........

I might have to just buy the Mazdaspeed 3......great little car....

I will update from time to time......

Edited by oldracer

44,250 miles still no problems/issues.

I am researching whether a Mazdaspeed 3 driveline will be a difficult swap or not...the thought intrigues me........

I might have to just buy the Mazdaspeed 3......great little car....

I will update from time to time......

It makes much more financial sense to buy the MS3. If you just install the drivetrain in a Focus, you'll spend thousands and end up with a car worth less than the Focus is worth stock.

• 3 months later...

50,000 MILES!!!

I had the brake/clutch fluid changed Sat, the Mobil 1 and they added 5 oz,s of R-134..

I still haven't done the brakes, dealer said I have 5K left, same as the last visit 8,000 miles ago.

Boring to say, but no issues or problems yet.......

I also swapped the plugs for Denso Iridiums...WOW!!! Idles smoother and runs better....but the stock "100,000" mile plugs were used up

when I removed them, color was OK, electrode was pitted, and worn....there is no such thing as a 100K plug...

This is a great car, too bad Ford doesn't make it anymore......

• 4 weeks later...

52,000 miles and retired to my son's custody..............

He is selling the 93 LX5.0 we have mostly finished, as he is getting married Nov 1, and he is also selling his 2002 SVT Focus and taking my ST.

He gains TC, Audiophile, 2 more doors, heated seats and all the parts and extended warranty.

Some of you will scoff, but I bought a 2006 Jetta GLI, Pkg 1, 18"s, spoiler and DSG, it was a CPO and had 20,254 miles.

I had the windows tinted Sunday and started driving it Monday for my 100 mile/day drive.

The power & DSG are amazing, it has gotten 29-30 mpg so far even with everyone beating it and using the paddle shifters.....

I will still get to drive my ST once in awhile and we plan to run it until 100K when the warranty ends.

I am not able to shift consistently due to back & leg issues related to my service time.....so I went A/T.

I drove the Fusion, Mazda 6, and some other stuff, the Jetta is miles ahead in all areas and I am very happy with it.

I used to be a Service Manager for Porsche, Audi, & VW, so I know that they are way better than people think....or have heard.

I wouldn't spend the $$ for a new one due to the tremendous amount of miles I put on, but this was what I wanted 3 yrs ago and the price was in my commuter car budget, ($20,900 is what I paid).

My ST will be driven "only" 76 miles/day now to work by my son.......I expect it to continue to be troublefree and a solid car.

I like it very much and would recommend one to anyone.

Later guys

• 1 month later...

GLI getting 31-34 highway at 75-80 mph, ST getting 30 ish with Leadfoot driving it......still trouble-free...great little car.

Rolled the 2002 GT Vert to work 1 day last week, got 23.95 mpg again at 75-80ish......of course the 16-18 city kills the average...

The new Focus is growing on me....but no sport or engine option kills it for me as a viable choice.

• 11 months later...

62,000 miles and it's tire time again...going with Nitto Neo Gens,,,we put them on the 2002 SVT Focus which is now for sale as we have too many cars..

details/pictures available, e-mail me...

I haven't been here much lately, mostly on VWVortex...we have a GLI & an R32 as daily driver's, both lightly modded and extremely fun cars.