2008 Hybrid crash results.

dwg

I was just looking at the driver crash results listed by NHTSA. It stated that early release was 3 stars and later release is 4 stars for the driver side frontal crash. 4 Stars for vehicles produced after June 6. This includes all versions of the Escape.

Edited by dwg

Thanks for the update. I wouldn't consider purchasing a vehicle with only three stars on the NHTSA rating, so this news at least puts the Escape in contention for my monthly payment. I suspect there are other consumers with a similar view. Frankly, Ford deserves a little more internet buzz than this when they make measurable safety improvement. I suggest you also post this in the Ford Company Discussion thread.

Edited by Tugboat

Unfortunately, the Escape is the ONLY vehicle in its class with 4-star driver safety rating--the others are ALL FIVE STAR (except for a few Jeeps). Notice that rollover rating has not been set--without stability control, the Escape hybrid will be low there too (the non-hybrid has it). And all the tests have shown the brakes to have extremely long stopping distances. Ford is way behind the competition--and public expectations--on the safety front. The Escape hybrid would be at the top of my list except for those serious shortcomings.

Unfortunately, the Escape is the ONLY vehicle in its class with 4-star driver safety rating--the others are ALL FIVE STAR (except for a few Jeeps). Notice that rollover rating has not been set--without stability control, the Escape hybrid will be low there too (the non-hybrid has it). And all the tests have shown the brakes to have extremely long stopping distances. Ford is way behind the competition--and public expectations--on the safety front. The Escape hybrid would be at the top of my list except for those serious shortcomings.

Yeah, you really shouldn't buy one then.