1st oil change and found TRANS LEAKING?!?!?!?!

amandashook

:rant: Ok, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO mad right now!! I have 3200 miles and went to get my oil changed for the first time at Express Oil Change. I used to work there and know the guys so I trust them. The guy in the pit asked how many miles was on my vehicle and I told him. He told me I needed to come down and take a look. There is trans fluid leaking around seal at center motor mount and trans?!?!?!?! We checked fluid level and it was ok, THANK GOODNESS!!! I immediately got on the phone to the dealership and raisied hell. They will be getting me in on Thurs morning and getting me a replacement car till it is checked out. I do plan on showing them exactly where it is leaking so I wont get the "we couldnt find anything" run around. I absolutely have loved my Edge so far and I will not let this ruin it. I am hoping it turns out to be a fluke, but who knows, right? Anyone else having any issues or hearing of any? :censored:

Why? well, it is a new car dealership and I paid $32,000 for a new car and it has problems at 3k miles. Doesnt make sence to me. I have since calmed down and been doing my research on it. I am hoping it has an overflow tube for being overfilled and that is the case. I jus called my salesman and explained to him the problem and he set me up to bring it in. I will soon find out if it is a true problem or a fluke.

I understand your point. And I know it wasnt leaking when they sold it to me because I checked everything. It only had 6 miles on it and I put them on it during my final test drive<meaning I drove others prior>.

I guess I worded that wrong to say I was pissed at the dealer. I was hot headed and that was my first reaction. I was in shock. I have since calmed down and realized I need to get to the root of the problem. My dealer has been nothing but great to meand I LOVE my Edge!!! :shift:

I understand your point. And I know it wasnt leaking when they sold it to me because I checked everything. It only had 6 miles on it and I put them on it during my final test drive<meaning I drove others prior>.

I guess I worded that wrong to say I was pissed at the dealer. I was hot headed and that was my first reaction. I was in shock. I have since calmed down and realized I need to get to the root of the problem. My dealer has been nothing but great to meand I LOVE my Edge!!! :shift:

Good plan... like was said.. it's not the dealers fault and for sure not the service managers and mechanics fault. This is why they have warranties on cars (among other reasons).

I've seen people blow up at the service managers at dealers for thing like this and I can only imagine that the Svc Mgrs. don't appreciate it and probably return the attitude right back with crappy service. Treat them as you'd want to be treated... and if it's still broken when you get it back, let 'em have it them.

Also word your problem carefully. The Service department does not an arm-chair-mechanic telling them where exactly the leak is coming from. Trust me, if you and the Guy from Lube Express (not taking anything away from him) can find the leak, the people in the service department will too. A simple:

"I saw a some trans fluid on the ground and looked real quick with a flashlight. I could see see some fluid around the center motor mount, thats all I know. Let me know what you come up with."

Doing it that way allows the people there to do there job without you becoming a PITA. What you don't want to happen is to go in there acting super smart and say "it is leaking right there, see." What could happen is that they could possibly find 2 different leaks, but only fix the one you demanded and leave the other one alone. The wash it off with brake-cleaner and you go on your way. They say the leak you showed was fixed. 3 weeks later you see a leak again...see where I am getting at?? Seeing where the leak is your knowledge, keep it under wraps.

Just my 2 cents. From the progression of the posts, you are headed in the right direction. Good luck with your new vehicle!!

Edited by atomaro

Yea, I got a call today and they told me it was from the overflow valve. Tranny was full and everything looked good. Glad it wasnt serious.

This is from other Forum..........

My wife just came back from the Ford Dealer.

They RnR'd the overflow valve at no cost to us.

She was told of a soon to be Recal on this.

This post has been edited by EdgyDon: Today, 06:49 PM

This is also from the other forum--------

There is a TSB covering this issue with the AWD case. The design of the case was changed to help avoid overfilling (dropped the height of the filll plug.) I doubt very seriously that there will be any kind of Ford recall, notification program, etc. concerning this issue. The unit is filled for life. Once it has "overflowed", the fluid is at the correct level. Rinse and wipe off any oil that came out and the vehicle is good to go.

I think the service writer failed to read the TSB or they would have come to the same conclusion. I also doubt the overflow valve was defective, sounds like it did what it was supposed to do. The Tech may have replaced it just to get paid for his/her time cleaning up the "overflow" oil. If Ford requires return of the "Defective" part, and they find it not to be "defective", the dealership will not be paid on that warranty ticket. If the part is not on the return list, then Ford pays for another unjustified repair.

This is another thread that starts out with all the drama generated by a corner lube guy, etc. and progresses to a service advisor suggesting there will be a massive recall. I point this out, not to suggest anyone on this forum is wrong, because they can only go by what they have been told, but to advise all of us that things are not always what they seem to be. I don't want anyone to fear that there is a problem with their vehicle that will affect it's near term and/or long term performance as it relates to minor overfilling of the case.

• 1 month later...

I am soooo glad I don't work at a dealership.....to have to put up with annoying, whiny customers, who come in half-cocked, yet don't know what the hell they are talking about. As pointed out, it ain't the dealers fault..the dealer will do it's best to help you, but, if you go in with an attitude, I hope you receive as well as you give.

I am soooo glad I don't work at a dealership.....to have to put up with annoying, whiny customers, who come in half-cocked, yet don't know what the hell they are talking about. As pointed out, it ain't the dealers fault..the dealer will do it's best to help you, but, if you go in with an attitude, I hope you receive as well as you give.

You got that right 7. Service Advisors are a special kind of employee to put up with all the stuff that is thrown at them. They are expected to be able to diagnose problems, guestimate repair costs, calm irate customers and know every TSB and service announcement for hundreds of vehicle models, makes and series.

I used to tell my dealers that they needed to hire third grade school teachers over the summer months to write service. They are well equiped to handle some of the customers that want to vent and/or think they already know what sould be done to their vehicle.

The last 10 years that I worked with dealerships contained several instances where customers called me and said a dealership would not work on their vehicle. They had gotton so abusive that they were asked not to return. I tried to suggest alternative dealers and that a new approach be adopted before going in demanding what the dealership was going to do. Customers don't realize that when they threaten, even just to sue, dealership and Ford employees are instructed not to deal with them anymore. If they threaten force - call the police, if they threaten to sue, have their attornies contact our attornies - negotiating over.

One couple with a suspected transmission concern must have been "invited out" of at least 10 dealerships before anyone even looked at the car because the two of them abused and threatened everyone they talked to. I made an appointment with a dealership close to them and asked them to use the night drop off and not to talk to anybody. Concerns fixed and no more consternation. The customer is always right to a point. When you go past the point, we referred to it as the customer having been "fired". Relationship management is a two way street.

Edited by dfs