Ford unleashes DriveU college promotion

In Soviet Russia, Ford Drives You.

Ford has set up a big marketing deal launched on Facebook this week to promote the Fusion, Edge and other Fords. The "Ford Drives U" promotion is at least the second year that Ford has teamed up with the MTVU college channel as part of its marketing for the college market. They've also had the $500 student bonus for years now.

The Facebook group includes music to download (mega licensing), a discussion forum, an ability to share photos and all sorts of goodies. The boards are a mixed bag -- I think I spotted pcsario in there -- but the photos are largely college kids super-proud of their old F-150s, T-Birds and especially Stangs. The Focus gets some fandom as well ("We have three Focuses in the family including mine," writes one person).

Below is what the main screen looks like.

post-1686-1189238611_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

Believe it or not, but social networking sites are great places for users to share information and build trust in a brand without Ford spending a cent on networking air time. Depending on how far such pages reach, they can have an extremely positive impact on a brand. It can be a disaster if done poorly, but if integrated well, it can realize great returns. Frankly, I think the Ford page is somewhat in between.