AutoWeek Slams New Honda Civic

range

More biased anti-Honda reporting, just like Edmunds, just like Wards Auto World, just like the Free Press, just like AutoBlog, just like TTAC, etc. :lol:

GRITZINGER: I found myself longing for the Civic of old: a simpler, lighter, smaller and, at least for me, more fun-to-drive car than this latest interpretation. I could have done without its garish instrumentation, an uncomfortable seat and less-than-snappy performance. I think a lot of it has to do with the extra 150 or so pounds this car lugs around compared to the previous model. But it has also lost something in its driving dynamics; to me, this one says “dull†rather than “sporty.â€

I wouldn't call it biased. I think the new Civic is an even bigger "egg" than the Ridgeline. I just don't like it. It's the first vehicle that Honda has made that actually got bigger on the outside and lost room on the inside. It also is the first Honda that I have seen EVER that has "change" for the sake of change. The dashboard is a joke, a genuine joke. The digital display on top of the tach adds nothing to the functionality.

When Honda went away from the double wishbone suspension all around on the Civic on the last generation, that was a big, huge mistake. Finally, the Civic is simply too close to a 4cyl Accord in price and size to even be a consideration. With the Accord you get a well designed car, a 156HP 4 cyl, double wishbone all around, and a LOT more room for only a couple of grand more.

With Scion, the Korean twins, the new Chryslers, and the current Mazda fleet, Honda really needed an out of the park home run and I dont' care what the mags say, this ain't it.

In other forums I have said that Ford and GM need Honda or Toyota to lay a couple of eggs for their turnaround plans to work. I honestly believe that the Civic might be one of them.

I woudlnt' count it out so fast... the dash is generating a lot of controversy, but the car appeals to the economy market there is no doubt about it. The last generation Civic was the biggest loser IMO, yet it still set sales records. It's a shame the Civic isn't sporty anymore, but sports cars is not where the money is at. Honda did just fine with the last generation Civic selling a grocery getter.

I am sorry, but I can't get excited about the Civic. The Honda Fit is a better small car, more practical with it's high roofline and hatchback like the Matrix and Scions. And like I previously said, I think it's just too close to the Accord. I know two people that bought Accords over the LAST gen Civic. I think with the increase in size this generation, I think we'll see more of that.

I sat it the Civic at the car show and I was pretty disappointed.

Considering the Civic is not recapturing the interest of the young since the old double wishbone 'sporty' civic went away 2 generations ago, and the Corolla has suspension and styling in the dark age, is it not actually physically PAINFULL that there is no C1 Focus here? If Mazda, which is in reality not thought of as a large company, selling quite a few Mazda 3's could you imagine the amount of customers Ford could recapture right now. It would become the best selling small car in one year. God I want to go shake the shit out of someone at Ford. :blink: What an opportunity to swoop in and take the sails out of all the current 'standards' of small cars. Toyota is actually loosing Corolla sales to the Scion products more then capturing any market right now. And what does Ford do? Stick a big wing package on the Focus for 06. The Focus is really a car that is as good as any civic and better then any corolla, but its perception from its intial launch struggles has doomed the body style to any typical Japanese car buyers. The Mazda has had nothing but kudos, a new Focus launch would bring all that good media along for the ride.

I am still hoping that the M3 was the pre-release test for a C1 Focus. With all the new electronics finally making it into the newest cars( touch screen nav, ipod imputs, integrated satelite radio, etc), it is ripe to turn this car not only into a Civic/Corolla killer, but go right at Scion buyers as well.

Dont get me wrong though, the Focus sales are pretty strong and it is a GOOD car as it is, but omg what a missed opportunity.

Edited by kevinb120