We are second fittle to the Iran President!

Xtremesynthetic

Not many people feel a UAW strike is more important than somebody that could be the next big problem in the Middle East. Not many people outside of Michigan or the industry care at all.

PS. It's second "fiddle", as in a violin.

That is ignorant to say its just a UAW strike!! Its the UAW and GM Management that are involved! That is not the only people that are effected by this strike. It affects the rest of the big 3, all the supplier and their suppliers, businesses around all those plants. Thats just scatching the surface of who is affected by this strike.

GM has plants in more than half the state in America. UAW workers spend lots of money in those states that don't care about us! If we don't spend our money with them they will start to care!

I've been watching CNBC all day in my office and they broke the Warren strike before a picketer had exited the building. That said the strike has come up about every 5th or so story with emphasis on the what the BIG 3 stocks are doing.

I can tell you this: Halo 3 is getting at least 3x's the airplay as the GM strike on CNBC.

This USA Today Blog doesn't look too promising as far as the court of public opinion goes:

USA TODAY BLOG

Maybe some of the more articulate members should post on it?

Good luck!

FWIW- Based only by his news conference, even though I'm pulling for you UAW folks Gettelfinger didn't come off as the sharpest knife in the drawer but hopefully like most chefs you have an assortment of knives in your drawer.

Edited by Automotive Paint

I've been watching CNBC all day in my office and they broke the Warren strike before a picketer had exited the building. That said the strike has come up about every 5th or so story with emphasis on the what the BIG 3 stocks are doing.

I can tell you this: Halo 3 is getting at least 3x's the airplay as the GM strike on CNBC.

This USA Today Blog doesn't look too promising as far as the court of public opinion goes:

USA TODAY BLOG

Maybe some of the more articulate members should post on it?

Good luck!

FWIW- Based only by his news conference, even though I'm pulling for you UAW folks Gettelfinger didn't come off as the sharpest knife in the drawer but hopefully like most chefs you have an assortment of knives in your drawer.

Maybe it was isolated to CNN, I just couldn't believe it when I viewed such lack of coverage.

I think that this is subject matter everyone needs to pay attention to. Weather you are remotely involved in the Big Three or not. The out come of this historical strike will affect the economy of the future as we know it. Believe me when I say, this will be a moment our grandchildren and their grandchildren will be talking about in their history and economics classes. Lets pray that everything turns for the positive!

Maybe it was isolated to CNN, I just couldn't believe it when I viewed such lack of coverage.

I think that this is subject matter everyone needs to pay attention to. Weather you are remotely involved in the Big Three or not. The out come of this historical strike will affect the economy of the future as we know it. Believe me when I say, this will be a moment our grandchildren and their grandchildren will be talking about in their history and economics classes. Lets pray that everything turns for the positive!

I have really bad news for you - outside of the communities that have any of the Detroit 3's plants, no one really gives a crap about our auto companies. This strike is going to have such a minimal effect on the economy, it won't even register as a blip. Just about half of all the cars sold in the USA are not made by GM, Ford, or Chrysler. Not only that, but when you factor fleet sales out, over sixty percent of the cars sold retail, to John Q. Individual-Customer are not GM, Ford, or Chrysler. It hurts us in the Detroit area, and in those communities that depend on GM, Ford and Chrysler plants, but those communities that have a Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, BMW, or Mercedes plant in them don't even notice the difficulties we have in Detroit. We don't even register on their radar.

As far as the anti-Detroit and anti-UAW comments that Automotive Paint posted a USA Today link to, that's not only old news, the sentiment of "these guys (referring to the union employees) are another reason I don't buy American cars. It's gotten to the point where it's getting PC (politically correct) to come out and say that union made is a valid reason to avoid buying a GM, Ford, or Chrysler. As a supplier sales rep, currently out of work and looking for a new gig, I've been putting up with the "I'm not buying anything made by the UAW or CAW" comments, to my face (as an ex-Local 600 member, and relative of a few auto workers, not the least of which is my Dad, who retired from Dearborn Stamping) since at least 1993 from coworkers, and as far back as 1988 from customers who were members of AFL-CIO, but hated the UAW with a passion. Then it was people who were either out of state, or from out of state. Now I live in the Westland/Plymouth/Canton/Livonia area, and I hear it from nearby neighbors. That's here in the Detroit area. Go drive to the east coast, in cities like Newark, Boston, New York City, even Philadelphia, and watch how many Asian brand cars you see. Today it's like California was ten years ago - a lost cause for Detroit's automakers.

Our grandchildren and their grandchildren will be talking about this? Give me a fucking break. I'm interviewing with people coming into Detroit from as close as Chicago, and they're telling me that we're in our own little world, compared to any where else in America that they do business in. Take a piece of friendly advice, from someone who is actually a big union supporter. Stop living in the past.

Edited by Len_A

That is ignorant to say its just a UAW strike!! Its the UAW and GM Management that are involved! That is not the only people that are effected by this strike. It affects the rest of the big 3, all the supplier and their suppliers, businesses around all those plants. Thats just scatching the surface of who is affected by this strike.

GM has plants in more than half the state in America. UAW workers spend lots of money in those states that don't care about us! If we don't spend our money with them they will start to care!

FITTLE!!!

A GM plant in more than half the states, I doubt it

I'll list the states without a GM plant

1 Alaska

2 Hawaii

3 Florida

4 Washington

5 Oregon

6 Idaho

7 North Dakota

8 South Dakota

9 Wyoming

10 Montana

11 Oaklahoma

12 Maine

13 New Hampshire

14 Vermont

15 New Jersey

16 Delaware

17 Massachusetts

18 Conneticut

19 Rhode Island

20 Arizona

21 New Mexico

22 Nevada

23 Utah

24 Colorado

25 Mississippi

nvrmnd

Are you kidding me! Are you telling me that if the auto industry fell apart that this country you wouldn't feel its affects!! Just a blip in the economy. Please tell me you are kidding.

If our auto industry were to go down, it would be a start of an American economic crash!!

Just GM alone is in more than halfof the states in the United States, imagine all those people not having jobs. Imagine now that all the people that support those plants don't have jobs. You know what I mean right, vendors, parts suppliers, trucking companies, etc.

Now if all those people don't have jobs, that means they don't have the need for, police, fire, hospital workers, etc., etc. Also, all the stores and restaurants, department stores etc., etc.

Think about this happening in all of the states that GM is in. To answer your question, this will effect the whole United States economy in a very big way! The likely hood of GM totaly removing itself from the United States is unlikely but it would crash the economy if it did happen.

Alot of the American people are very ignorant. They have their head buried in the sand, but if these contract talks go any further south, the American Economy will understand the effects of not supporting the American Auto Industry.

post-19286-1121885327_thumb.jpg

post-19286-1121885355_thumb.jpg

post-19286-1121885380_thumb.jpg

post-19286-1121885430_thumb.jpg

post-19286-1121885492_thumb.jpg

post-19286-1121886246_thumb.jpg

I am watching CNN this morning, only to find that CNN would rather show the Iran President than the story about GM and the UAW going out on strike! This goes to show where are importance lies on a national level.

:redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard:

Frankly, considering public opinion, this is a good thing for you guys.

You should be glad that the UAW didn't hurt the economy on Day 1. Then lots of people would be pissed because we're likely veering toward a recession, and the UAW makes for a perfect second scapegoat to the mortgage lenders*. (Believe it -- you can just forsee it).

*- nobody wants to admit that they were the cause of the bad mortgage situation, as they signed the ARM mortgages!

As for Ahmadinejad vs. coverage of the UAW... why do you feel he is not more important?

Edited by Roadrunner