2001 5.4 popped a plug

BigRick

Just to start off w/o a flame war (I hope):

I love my 2001 5.4 F-150. Had it since new, plan to have it forever. All oil changes by me, dealer time almost zero. It has been everything a F-150 is supposed to be, been to Baja, towed boats, hauled dirt bikes, camping trips, fishing trips, daily driver, between 15 and 17 mph no matter how I drive it. I put new Bilsteins on it last year. It gets lots of love. So I like Fords...

Today it decided a spark plug had to go. Ack. My machine shop engine building buddy said it would happen and it did.

Anyway he said there is a fix, not just a new manifold, and not just a heli-coil. He is going to get back to me. Lucky for me it happened in my driveway just as I started it up. So I just shut it off.

Is the best fix to replace the manifold or do something else?

Big Rick

(bummed in) Oakland CA

KFOG FM 4-10 pm

Just to start off w/o a flame war (I hope):

I love my 2001 5.4 F-150. Had it since new, plan to have it forever. All oil changes by me, dealer time almost zero. It has been everything a F-150 is supposed to be, been to Baja, towed boats, hauled dirt bikes, camping trips, fishing trips, daily driver, between 15 and 17 mph no matter how I drive it. I put new Bilsteins on it last year. It gets lots of love. So I like Fords...

Today it decided a spark plug had to go. Ack. My machine shop engine building buddy said it would happen and it did.

Anyway he said there is a fix, not just a new manifold, and not just a heli-coil. He is going to get back to me. Lucky for me it happened in my driveway just as I started it up. So I just shut it off.

Is the best fix to replace the manifold or do something else?

Big Rick

(bummed in) Oakland CA

KFOG FM 4-10 pm

The only real fix I really know of would be replacing the head with a new one. This company, Timesert has a kit.

I also have a 2001 F150 with a 5.4 and I'm also curious on how many miles are on your truck. I had a 98 Expedition with a 5.4 that spit out a plug at 20,000 miles. They heli-coiled at the dealer and then soon after it started putting white smoke out of the exhaust. Turns out the head was cracked where the spark plug blew and then it started leaking coolant into the combustion chamber. Ford replaced the engine and I sold it to Carmax shortly thereafter to buy the 2001. I've had the 01 F150 since June of 2000 and it has been a trouble free 80,000 miles so far...

96,5xx and miles I was on the second set of plugs. Thanks for the Timesert link! My machine shop friends said Ford has an approved by Ford repair kit, I think they said Snap On sells it. Anyway I talked to the Walnut Creek dealer, and they said yea they knew about it and the approved fix, it is basically a thread insert with more threads and it runs about 700.

That's all good news to me.

The only real fix I really know of would be replacing the head with a new one. This company, Timesert has a kit.

I also have a 2001 F150 with a 5.4 and I'm also curious on how many miles are on your truck.

Edited by BigRick

They probably cross threaded it. Have you talked to them about it?

Not about them doing that. I really don't think so, but will ask. Like I said I knew it happened to the these engines, and expected it to and was surprised it hadn't, but wasn't when it did.

I'm lucky it happened at the house. It didn't fly out and hit the hood like some say happens. It didn't happen at speed, just when I started it up. It just is in there loose now. I think it is just one of those things with too few threads no matter what plug you use etc. Of course not cross threading and using the proper torque and plug helps!

Just 1 other trip to the dealer for a cruise control recall switch thing and a plug change since 2001. That's a pretty low cost to years ratio. Yea Ford!

Edited by BigRick