How Long Does it Take to Get A VIN?

Chris-R

Folks: I ordered a new F250 Superduty about 4 weeks ago and my dealer hasn't received a VIN yet. Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for the dealer to get a VIN? Thanks for your help.

Hi Chris. :D There is no "set date" or amount of time, for a VIN to be assigned. It all depends on the scheduling of a particular vehicle, and it can vary from vehicle to vehicle (even from F-250 to F-250).

Also, to be completeyl blunt, it is entirely possible that a VIN has been assigned, and you Dealer just does not know it yet. In my experience, many Dealers are not exactly on the ball concerning getting production information to the buyer. Essentially, it seems once they have your deposit, you should be happy with knowing "It will get here when it gets here. And when it does, we will call you." Not all Dealers, but many of them.

The following is an outline, which I copied and pasted, of the production scheduling process for a new vehicle. "As you can see, the VIN is assigned at the Serialize Date", and I believe the "Window Sticker" becomes available at the "Blend Date":

Receipt Date: The date that MS&S recorded the order.

Serialize Date: The date that MS&S transfers the order to MP&L and the VIN is created.

Segment Date: The date that MP&L determines which week the order will be built.

Sequence Date: The date that MP&L determines which day the order will be built.

Blend Date: The date that MP&L determines when the order will be built within the assigned day.

Produced Date: The date that VO finished assembling the vehicle.

Gate Release Date: The date that VO transfers the vehicle to Transportation Carriers for shipping.

Ship Date: The date the vehicle left the Assembly Plant.

Arrival Date: The date the Dealership received the vehicle.

Sold Date: The date the Customer picked up the vehicle.

If I am mistaken, hopefully someone will jump in and give the correct information.

I know this does not really "answer" your original question, but at least it gives you some insight into the process.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just wait and see. Also, as a result of the new news about Ford suspending Superduty production for two weeks, I'll just have to wait longer for my truck. Snow season is coming so I hope it somehow arrives with enough time so I can swap out snowplow mounts, etc. from my GMC to the new Ford.