E-85 Capable Explorer in 2008?

I held off buying a 2007 Explorer because I was told that the 2008 Explorer with the 4.6L engine option would be E-85 capable. Is this true. I can't find any documentation that is is, or is not. If not, when will it be? I am told that all it takes to be E-85 capable is a stainless steel fuel tank, stainless fuel lines and a computer revision. What is taking so long. E-85 where I live is more than 50 cents per gallon cheaper than regular gas.

Why would you want a vehicle that uses E-85? Although it's cheaper per gallon than conventional gasoline and burns cleaner, it burns quicker and offers less mpg. Better for the environment , not your budget.

Some people think of things other than their wallet.

Plus, given the price difference, it's not that much more expensive to use it.

Let's do some math...20% less to purchase with 25% less fuel economy. That's a 5% difference. If you spend $3k / year in fuel, that is just over $10/month more to burn E85. Not that big of a deal if you can afford a $35k vehicle.

Some people think of things other than their wallet.

Plus, given the price difference, it's not that much more expensive to use it.

Let's do some math...20% less to purchase with 25% less fuel economy. That's a 5% difference. If you spend $3k / year in fuel, that is just over $10/month more to burn E85. Not that big of a deal if you can afford a $35k vehicle.

Get real. Ten dollars a month can make a difference to someone who has 100% financing on that $35,000.00 vehicle. How about doing some math for us on the increase in corn based food products prices caused by production of E-85.

Edited by Davew

I keep my vehicles 8 to 10 years. I like to keep my options open. As we have seen with todays gas prices a lot can happen in just a short time. I lived through the last oil embargo. You could not get gas in those days - period.

My thought is that if we have oil disruption, having an E-85 capable vehicle could make the difference between being ok and misery. E-85 is domestic and only required a "taste" of gasoline to make it legal.

The long term solution is Hydrogen fuel cells. I sickens me to see our domestic manufacturers so "in bed" with parts manufacturers and the oil companies. There is no reason that we need to be using 1800's technology for our vehicles other than some people are getting fat and rich off it.

Honda has a fleet of Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles running out in California with actual families. The hydrogen plants are small "air conditioner" sized units at the drivers home. They create their own hydrogen to refuel. Indications are they will sell the general public next year.

Our auto industry is the best in the world. Why are we constantly behind the Japanese. I think it is greed. The employees pay the price for greedy and/or bad decisions.

I have NEVER bought a japanese car and hope to never be forced to do so. Get with it Ford!!!

Get real. Ten dollars a month can make a difference to someone who has 100% financing on that $35,000.00 vehicle. How about doing some math for us on the increase in corn based food products prices caused by production of E-85.

Then said person should not buy a $35k vehicle with 100% financing. That person is needlessly over-extending him/her self. Period. End of story.

And, the question wasn't about increases in corn based food products, it was about an E85 Explorer and if it will be available or not.

I keep my vehicles 8 to 10 years. I like to keep my options open. As we have seen with todays gas prices a lot can happen in just a short time. I lived through the last oil embargo. You could not get gas in those days - period.

My thought is that if we have oil disruption, having an E-85 capable vehicle could make the difference between being ok and misery. E-85 is domestic and only required a "taste" of gasoline to make it legal.

The long term solution is Hydrogen fuel cells. I sickens me to see our domestic manufacturers so "in bed" with parts manufacturers and the oil companies. There is no reason that we need to be using 1800's technology for our vehicles other than some people are getting fat and rich off it.

Honda has a fleet of Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles running out in California with actual families. The hydrogen plants are small "air conditioner" sized units at the drivers home. They create their own hydrogen to refuel. Indications are they will sell the general public next year.

Our auto industry is the best in the world. Why are we constantly behind the Japanese. I think it is greed. The employees pay the price for greedy and/or bad decisions.

I have NEVER bought a japanese car and hope to never be forced to do so. Get with it Ford!!!

Although I see your point, and also lived through the 70's oil embargo, I wouldn't jump on the E-85 bandwagon too soon.

If you or anyone you know thinks you're wrong about domestic manufacturers being "in bed with the oil companies, wait until you buy your new Ford and start getting the calls from the dealer telling you how great BP gas is for your vehicle and where the nearest station is.

Then said person should not buy a $35k vehicle with 100% financing. That person is needlessly over-extending him/her self. Period. End of story.

And, the question wasn't about increases in corn based food products, it was about an E85 Explorer and if it will be available or not.

Who are you to sit in judgement of who is overextending themselves? You need to visit the real world, talk to the average Joes out there and get a feel for how they are getting by these days. There are plenty of people out there who need new cars, just like the ones the employees on this forum build for a living, who probably can't afford them, but need to try and afford them to get to work, take the kids to school, etc.

You're right, the question was regarding E-85 availability in an Explorer. So, why did you launch into a math tirade? If you would bother to look at the whole picture, you'd see that E-85 is an economic drain. The US used to export corn and most other grains, now it has to import them.

Not everyone thinks with their wallet... :hysterical: You must think farm implements that harvest all that corn run on water and don't pollute. Don't get me wrong, I love trees, I just don't pretend to hug them.

Who are you to sit in judgement of who is overextending themselves? You need to visit the real world, talk to the average Joes out there and get a feel for how they are getting by these days. There are plenty of people out there who need new cars, just like the ones the employees on this forum build for a living, who probably can't afford them, but need to try and afford them to get to work, take the kids to school, etc.

I'm not judging anyone. I'm just stating a fact. No one NEEDS a new vehicle. There are plenty of vehicles with 75k miles that will last for years and cost 1/3 the price of a new vehicle. You can spend 10k on a used vehicle that will get the kids to school and the owner to work without any problems. Hell, my parents bought an '02 Explorer Eddie Bauer with 25k miles fairly loaded for $12k! That's a $25k saving over a new one! The average Joe is getting by with a used vehicle that costs $$$$$$$ less than new.

If you think I am judging anyone, you need to look in the mirror and re-read your first post in this thread.

You're right, the question was regarding E-85 availability in an Explorer. So, why did you launch into a math tirade? If you would bother to look at the whole picture, you'd see that E-85 is an economic drain. The US used to export corn and most other grains, now it has to import them.

I did not "launch into a math tirade." I was just explaining that in the grand scheme of things, E85 is not that expensive to the new car buyer, thus refuting your point. Plus, just because the vehicles is E85 capable, you don't have to put it in.

Not everyone thinks with their wallet... :hysterical: You must think farm implements that harvest all that corn run on water and don't pollute. Don't get me wrong, I love trees, I just don't pretend to hug them.

I love trees as well, and don't pretend to hug them either. But, it is a fact, that some people DO CARE about the environment...you don't have to be a tree hugger to do that. If I were buying a new vehicle and had the choice to get E85 or non-E85, I would definitely go for the FFV. If for nothing else than to keep my options open. 2years down the road, it may be SAVING me money at the pump. If not, I don't have to put E85 in it!

This is true.

Not everyone thinks with their wallet.

Sometimes people make choices for other reasons than the cheapest option available. I bet you buy things at the Dollar Tree.

This is true.

Not everyone thinks with their wallet.

Sometimes people make choices for other reasons than the cheapest option available. I bet you buy things at the Dollar Tree.

Umm...Looking at the EPA fuel economy site, there does not seem to be a FF Explorer for 08. However there is a FFV vehicle cost calculator.

I'm not judging anyone. I'm just stating a fact. No one NEEDS a new vehicle. There are plenty of vehicles with 75k miles that will last for years and cost 1/3 the price of a new vehicle. You can spend 10k on a used vehicle that will get the kids to school and the owner to work without any problems. Hell, my parents bought an '02 Explorer Eddie Bauer with 25k miles fairly loaded for $12k! That's a $25k saving over a new one! The average Joe is getting by with a used vehicle that costs $$$$$$$ less than new.

Case in point is a local woman, a young mother, who recently lost her husband in Iraq. She has four young children to raise, one of which has Downs syndrome and cannot walk. Additionally, she has taken in her mother who has advanced MS. So, since you think no one NEEDS a new vehicle, how do you propose she transport a handicapped child and adult? Oh, in a used vehicle with 75k miles. Do you live in the real world? Do you realize how much it costs to equip a vehicle with a wheelchair lift? I do, especially since I'm helping others to raise money so she can buy a new vehicle that can be equipped with a lift, one which will safely get her to work and the kids to school.

Although I don't shop at dollar stores, I'd gladly do so and pass the money I save onto this woman.

Case in point is a local woman, a young mother, who recently lost her husband in Iraq. She has four young children to raise, one of which has Downs syndrome and cannot walk. Additionally, she has taken in her mother who has advanced MS. So, since you think no one NEEDS a new vehicle, how do you propose she transport a handicapped child and adult? Oh, in a used vehicle with 75k miles. Do you live in the real world? Do you realize how much it costs to equip a vehicle with a wheelchair lift? I do, especially since I'm helping others to raise money so she can buy a new vehicle that can be equipped with a lift, one which will safely get her to work and the kids to school.

Although I don't shop at dollar stores, I'd gladly do so and pass the money I save onto this woman.

What about all the used vans out on the market that are already equipped? It costs just as much to equip a new van as a used one, correct? Only the new van comes in at a $20k premium.

I feel for this woman and her family, I truly do. But, I'm guessing a used van would suit her needs just as well as a new one.