Premium Extended Plan - FEH

LBFEH

I am finally taking delivery of my 08 FEH tomorrow (almost 5 months) and the dealership

is recommending the Premium Extended Warranty. The FEH already has a bunch of warranties

on it, is this really needed?

Any guidance is appreciated.

I am finally taking delivery of my 08 FEH tomorrow (almost 5 months) and the dealership

is recommending the Premium Extended Warranty. The FEH already has a bunch of warranties

on it, is this really needed?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Hi LBFEH. :D Unfortunately, there is no "one size fits all" correct answer to that question, as it depends on so many variables.

The main questions you need to ask yourself are these. How long do I plan on keeping the Escape? Am I going to sell this vehicle and buy another within the three years/36,000 mile New Car Warranty period, or am I planning to keep it much longer?

If you plan on selling your Escape before the New Car Warranty is up, no, do not bother with an "Extended Warranty". If you plan on keeping it longer say 4-5-6 years or longer, then the answer may be yes, according to how you would answer questions concerning other variables.

If you decide to get the Extended Warranty, be sure it is the Ford ESP (Extended Service Plan) Plan, and not some aftermarket Service Plan.

Also, you do not have to purchase the Plan now. You can purchase the ESP Plan at any time during the New Car Warranty Period (3 years/36,000 miles). If your Escape is trouble free for the first 3 years, you may decide you don't need an ESP Plan (no guarantees though).

You also do not have to purchase it from the Dealer where you are buying the car. You can negotiate the price, and buy it at any Ford Dealer who gives you the lowest price. Again, at any time during the first 3 years/36,000 miles.

The only advantage to purchasing it now is you can include the cost in your loan.

Whatever you decide to do, may you have the best of luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

When I bought mine in May I opted to not get the warantey this time, but the dealer said here's what we have, you get the warrenty, and if you don't use it, it qualified for a full refund! So I did get the 5yr 70k (I think) option for like ~$1000. If I use it, better make sure i get my mony worth, if not, I pocket $1k in 5 yrs!

Link to thread w/pic

Edited by 08HybridOK

Hi all. :D Unfortunately, that (08Hybid's) is most likely a third party warranty, not the Ford ESP Plan. While there are some decent third party plans out there, they are hard to find and you take your chances.

I am not saying that what 08Hybrid purchased is bad, as we would need to read the entire contract to know the answer to that. No one will know that answer until it is needed, and then it is usually too late.

Hope it works out for you. Good luck! :beerchug:

PS - Yes, I read the further post that you believe that warranty work is under the ESP Plan. That would be improbable. I am not saying impossible, just improbable. Ford does not refund the Dealer if a vehicle owner does not use the Plan, so it is highly doubtful that the Dealer would hand money back to the vehicle owner after 5 years. I also clicked on the second link (in the other Forum), but it does not work.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi all. :D Unfortunately, that (08Hybid's) is a third party warranty, not the Ford ESP Plan. While there are some decent third party plans out there, they are hard to find and you take your chances.

I am not saying that what 08Hybrid purchased is bad, as we would need to read the entire contract to know the answer to that. No one will know that answer until it is needed, and then it is usually too late.

Hope it works out for you. Good luck! :beerchug:

PS - Yes, I read the further post that you believe that warranty work is under the ESP Plan. That would be improbable. I am not saying impossible, just improbable. Ford does not refund the Dealer if a vehicle owner does not use the Plan, so it is highly doubtful that the Dealer would hand money back to the vehicle owner after 5 years. I also clicked on the second link (in the other Forum), but it does not work.

You got me seriously concerned, so I dug out my dealer paperwork. Yes the yellow scan is from the Dealer, but the warrenty (seperate paper) is on a white form, says Extended Service Plan in the top right corner, PremiemCARE is Checked and $100 deductible is checked. Looks like I opted for 5yr 60k plan for $1060.

The speal the finance guy gave when this warrenty was offered is that because the FEH comes with a 8/100k Hybrid componet warenty all ready, this warenty for the rest of the car is refundable. Of course there's the catch that you have to remember to request that refund yourself when the time is up. And also aparently ANY warenty work at any time is considered Exteded work, therefore voids the refund. So even in the first 3 yrs. So IF I need any work done, I think nI need to request a quote first. and decided if the price is worth out of pocket and hope nothing else breaks, or to use the warrenty.

You got me seriously concerned, so I dug out my dealer paperwork. Yes the yellow scan is from the Dealer, but the warrenty (seperate paper) is on a white form, says Extended Service Plan in the top right corner, PremiemCARE is Checked and $100 deductible is checked. Looks like I opted for 5yr 60k plan for $1060.

The speal the finance guy gave when this warrenty was offered is that because the FEH comes with a 8/100k Hybrid componet warenty all ready, this warenty for the rest of the car is refundable. Of course there's the catch that you have to remember to request that refund yourself when the time is up. And also aparently ANY warenty work at any time is considered Exteded work, therefore voids the refund. So even in the first 3 yrs. So IF I need any work done, I think nI need to request a quote first. and decided if the price is worth out of pocket and hope nothing else breaks, or to use the warrenty.

Hi 08Hybrid. :D Ouch! Well, we were looking for the catch, and you found it. All warranty work from Day 1/Mile 0 counts against the "Extended Warranty". :banghead: I should have known that, having had a vaguely related situation in 2001 concerning an ESP refund.

So essentially, the fine print of that warranty, in a way, "voids" (highly modifies at the very least) your 3 year/36,000 mile New Car Warranty. :blink:

As you have correctly surmised, the first time you take your Escape Hybrid in to have any warranty work done, even work normally covered (for free) by the Standard 3yr/36,000 mile Warranty, you have thrown $1,060 out the window.

In that case, I truly wish you many years (at least more than 5yr/60,000 miles) of safe and (absolutely) trouble free driving!

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530