Integrated Roll Bar for current gen. Mustangs

I did a little photoedit on MS-Paint (as high-tech as I get).

Basically it'd be a straight across member with raised dual hoops just behind the rear seats. It would add lateral rigidity and provide a good share of rollover protection. I'm guessing the weight would be ~ 150lbs max.

I know my skills are fairly limited, and I invite anyone to take a stab at it.

It's my hope that someone at Ford sees this and decides two things:

1. Roll bars can look nice. Imagine the hoops in brushed steel/ nickel or brushed/painted black. Roll bars don't have to be race-sanctioned ugly.

2. SAFETY SELLS, even in Mustangs safety is an important consideration.

l_14980329c691c60a675061d75a8ad7a9.jpg

Edited by joihan777

I did a little photoedit on MS-Paint (as high-tech as I get).

Basically it'd be a straight across member with raised dual hoops just behind the rear seats. It would add lateral rigidity and provide a good share of rollover protection. I'm guessing the weight would be ~ 150lbs max.

I know my skills are fairly limited, and I invite anyone to take a stab at it.

It's my hope that someone at Ford sees this and decides two things:

1. Roll bars can look nice. Imagine the hoops in brushed steel/ nickel or brushed/painted black. Roll bars don't have to be race-sanctioned ugly.

2. SAFETY SELLS, even in Mustangs safety is an important consideration.

l_14980329c691c60a675061d75a8ad7a9.jpg

MS Paint is all I do my chops in.

Those look good. Maybe a full width (one long hoop) rollover bar would look good as well, like optional on last-gen models.

I guess they offer one on the current model though, that's the one I was thinking of:

2008-Ford-Shelby-GT-Mustang.jpg

MS Paint is all I do my chops in.

Those look good. Maybe a full width (one long hoop) rollover bar would look good as well, like optional on last-gen models.

I guess they offer one on the current model though, that's the one I was thinking of:

2008-Ford-Shelby-GT-Mustang.jpg

I saw that as well. It isn't a rollbar though, just a light bar. It isn't intended to support any weight in case of a rollover. Also, it is mounted directly aft of the front row, hindering rear seat access and blocks rear visibility. The dual hoop design allows unencumbered rear seat access and it doesn't block as much of the rearview. Also, I think the dual hoops add a little class just because that's what you'd see on higher priced roadsters like the SLKs & Z4s. Maybe they're stronger too? I'm not sure about that though.

Either way, Ford needs to up the safety level on all of its verts. I just hope they see this and give it some honest consideration: l_14980329c691c60a675061d75a8ad7a9.jpg

I saw that as well. It isn't a rollbar though, just a light bar. It isn't intended to support any weight in case of a rollover. Also, it is mounted directly aft of the front row, hindering rear seat access and blocks rear visibility. The dual hoop design allows unencumbered rear seat access and it doesn't block as much of the rearview. Also, I think the dual hoops add a little class just because that's what you'd see on higher priced roadsters like the SLKs & Z4s. Maybe they're stronger too? I'm not sure about that though.

Either way, Ford needs to up the safety level on all of its verts. I just hope they see this and give it some honest consideration: l_14980329c691c60a675061d75a8ad7a9.jpg

I didn't realize that was just a lightbar. What's the point of that? No wonder nobody gets them.

Anyways, I agree, the Mustang needs some type of rollover protection system behind the rear passenger. I would say they could use a pop-up rollbar like used in the C70 and BMW convertibles (like 3-,6-series, not Z4) (see picture below), but it might be too expensive a system for a Mustang, since Ford tries to keep the price down on them. Maybe that system could be used on higher models, while twin or single hoops could be standard?

See the black things behind the rear headrests, those are the pop-up rollover bars.

2009_BMW_M3_Convertible_11_7w.jpg

I didn't realize that was just a lightbar. What's the point of that? No wonder nobody gets them.

Anyways, I agree, the Mustang needs some type of rollover protection system behind the rear passenger. I would say they could use a pop-up rollbar like used in the C70 and BMW convertibles (like 3-,6-series, not Z4) (see picture below), but it might be too expensive a system for a Mustang, since Ford tries to keep the price down on them. Maybe that system could be used on higher models, while twin or single hoops could be standard?

See the black things behind the rear headrests, those are the pop-up rollover bars.

2009_BMW_M3_Convertible_11_7w.jpg

You see? You get it!

The pop-up [pyrotechnic] system is heavier and costlier, so the Mustang probably won't use it. The hoop design is lighter and can add to structural rigidity. The pyrotechnic system can be used for (the hopefully upcoming) Thunderbird or a Lincoln convertible.

Actually, Mustang is the only Ford convertible without any type of rollover preotection! The Mazda MX-5 Miata, Volvo C70 & Jaguar XK vert all have them!

C'mon Ford, we're waiting! I just found out I'm exactly 15 months away from a new personal automobile... and the Mustang is at the top of my list!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: The BMW 3Series vert is fine company for a Mustang! Much better than being compared to a lesser vehicle!

Edited by joihan777

didn't the Mustang just get 5 stars for rollover protection?

The trunk certainly looks long enough to angulate the car up enough to protect the occupants.

Igor

I don't think any vert could get 5 stars unless they had a full cage, maybe your think of rollover resistance?

Besides the vert Mustang crushes your head in a frontal crash when the A-pillar collapses..

Five ***** for the 08 Mustang convertible.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/articles/article_00868.shtml

Ford has added significant improvements to the convertible's air bag systems.

For 2008, Mustang adds standard side air bags to an already comprehensive safety package. Along with the addition of seat-mounted thorax side air bags, safety features include the Personal Safety System - a suite of restraint technologies designed to tailor their response to the severity of the crash and other factors. The system includes dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags, safety belt pretensioners, seat weight sensing system for the passenger seat and crash severity sensing.

The 05-07 convertible were only "acceptable"

http://www.themustangnews.com/carnews_07/st-0607-iihs.htm

Edited by timmm55

didn't the Mustang just get 5 stars for rollover protection?

The trunk certainly looks long enough to angulate the car up enough to protect the occupants.

Igor

The trunk-to-Apillar angle isn't quite enough.

l_7ba19586cb5825f39cff0b009cda6d4f.jpg

I don't think any vert could get 5 stars unless they had a full cage, maybe your think of rollover resistance?

Besides the vert Mustang crushes your head in a frontal crash when the A-pillar collapses..

I think the A-Pillar is supposed to be rather strong and able to support the vehicle's weight upside down?

In a frontal crash I hope the A-Pillar isn't too affected.

Five ***** for the 08 Mustang convertible.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/articles/article_00868.shtml

Ford has added significant improvements to the convertible's air bag systems.

For 2008, Mustang adds standard side air bags to an already comprehensive safety package. Along with the addition of seat-mounted thorax side air bags, safety features include the Personal Safety System - a suite of restraint technologies designed to tailor their response to the severity of the crash and other factors. The system includes dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags, safety belt pretensioners, seat weight sensing system for the passenger seat and crash severity sensing.

The 05-07 convertible were only "acceptable"

http://www.themustangnews.com/carnews_07/st-0607-iihs.htm

I like the extra airbags. If you notice the design of the rear headrests, it wouldn't be too difficult to add dual steel hoops just behind the headrests. They'd only need to be 6-8" high and could even look sporty!

Doing so, I believe, would remove any reservations a person (or his spouse) might have about buying a Mustang convertible. Heck, even the VW NewBeetle has a high-tech pop-up system! Ford CAN afford it!

Edited by joihan777

You see? You get it!

The pop-up [pyrotechnic] system is heavier and costlier, so the Mustang probably won't use it. The hoop design is lighter and can add to structural rigidity. The pyrotechnic system can be used for (the hopefully upcoming) Thunderbird or a Lincoln convertible.

Actually, Mustang is the only Ford convertible without any type of rollover preotection! The Mazda MX-5 Miata, Volvo C70 & Jaguar XK vert all have them!

C'mon Ford, we're waiting! I just found out I'm exactly 15 months away from a new personal automobile... and the Mustang is at the top of my list!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: The BMW 3Series vert is fine company for a Mustang! Much better than being compared to a lesser vehicle!

My mom considered both a Mustang and C70 before we decided on the 335. It's a great car.

I had an idea for rollover bars, I'll work on a chop for it and post it ASAP.

Here's my take on rollover bars:

They're sporty AND functional (at least I think)

NICE! Suggestion? Regarding the corner angles, how do you feel if they had a slight curve to them that matched the end curves of the rear spoiler?

Also, I never considered interior/body colored rollbars. Groovy idea. It'd be an interesting option to traditional black or metallic finishes.

Edited by joihan777

NICE! Suggestion? Regarding the corner angles, how do you feel if they had a slight curve to them that matched the end curves of the rear spoiler?

Also, I never considered interior/body colored rollbars. Groovy idea. It'd be an interesting option to traditional black or metallic finishes.

I thought about giving them a little curvature, but decided I didn't feel like spending the time on it (in Paint, ugh).

I figured the body colored roll bars would be something different. I was going to do a body colored one with chrome accents, but since there really isn't much chrome on the Mustang, I didn't think it'd fit in too well. I guess there are the chrome-ringed guages and air vents, so it would've been ok, but oh well.