Ordered a Ranger, have a question.

kyeakel

I just ordered a 2008 Ranger, the dealer gave me an approximate delivery of 4-6 weeks. This would work great as it still fits in the window for the $2500 bonus cash. They also warned me that if the $2500 offer was ended before the truck arrived, I'd be out of luck. I'm thinking that this is double talk for "the truck won't be done in time, but we don't really want to say that." Since I've never ordered a vehicle before, I have no reference. How much time does it take to build and deliver a vehicle? Why can't the bonus be marked down now as a down-payment?

Thanks for any help,

Kipp

I just ordered a 2008 Ranger, the dealer gave me an approximate delivery of 4-6 weeks. This would work great as it still fits in the window for the $2500 bonus cash. They also warned me that if the $2500 offer was ended before the truck arrived, I'd be out of luck. I'm thinking that this is double talk for "the truck won't be done in time, but we don't really want to say that." Since I've never ordered a vehicle before, I have no reference. How much time does it take to build and deliver a vehicle? Why can't the bonus be marked down now as a down-payment?

Thanks for any help,

Kipp

All factory incentives (cash rebates, apr, etc.) apply at the time of purchase only. If you order a vehicle then you get the incentives in place when you take delivery, not when you order. Might be the same, might be better, could be worse. But it's legit.

4-6 weeks sounds right and I think the dealer is simply making sure that you know the incentives could change if the truck is late. The dealer has no control over that.

All factory incentives (cash rebates, apr, etc.) apply at the time of purchase only. If you order a vehicle then you get the incentives in place when you take delivery, not when you order. Might be the same, might be better, could be worse. But it's legit.

4-6 weeks sounds right and I think the dealer is simply making sure that you know the incentives could change if the truck is late. The dealer has no control over that.

akirby,

Thanks for the info. I was worried about that. I'm also worried about the Ranger manufacturing plant closing. Are they still running at full steam, or will the reduced workforce also cause a delay?

Kipp

akirby,

Thanks for the info. I was worried about that. I'm also worried about the Ranger manufacturing plant closing. Are they still running at full steam, or will the reduced workforce also cause a delay?

Kipp

I don't know for sure - I don't work for Ford. But I don't see why there would be a problem this time of year. You could always let the dealer try to find a similar truck for you in stock at another dealer.

I don't know for sure - I don't work for Ford. But I don't see why there would be a problem this time of year. You could always let the dealer try to find a similar truck for you in stock at another dealer.

Yea, They're doing that. I was looking for a 2 wheel drive, access cab, 4 cyl, 5speed manual, xlt, power group, jump seats, buckets combo. So far nothing has come close in the northeast. Everyone up here has 6 cyl, 4x4's on the lot. I'm looking for economy..

Thanks!!

Kipp

Yea, They're doing that. I was looking for a 2 wheel drive, access cab, 4 cyl, 5speed manual, xlt, power group, jump seats, buckets combo. So far nothing has come close in the northeast. Everyone up here has 6 cyl, 4x4's on the lot. I'm looking for economy..

Thanks!!

Kipp

You might ask yourself the question of how much will that four cylinder save you? The V-6 will get you the $2500 discount/bonus money. That's allot, I mean allot of gasoline. Maybe several years of gasoline. Are you willing to risk losing that, for two cylinders? Do the math dude! Buy the 6 banger and be happy! It runs smoother anyhow!

You might ask yourself the question of how much will that four cylinder save you? The V-6 will get you the $2500 discount/bonus money. That's allot, I mean allot of gasoline. Maybe several years of gasoline. Are you willing to risk losing that, for two cylinders? Do the math dude! Buy the 6 banger and be happy! It runs smoother anyhow!

They were giving me the $2500 on the 4cyl. The 6 was only $1000.

Kipp

They were giving me the $2500 on the 4cyl. The 6 was only $1000.

Kipp

OOPS!

Well you want the 4 banger, and that's OK, especially if you can get the $2500. If not the V-6 is better IMHO if you get something, if only $1K.

I've had both for work trucks, and the four banger can move itself around. But isn't much for dealing with a "payload". The 4.0L 6 does OK on fuel, but neither is not an economy car. And they are/were fairly good for maintenance.

Hope it all works out for you to your benefit.

was the 6 cyl the 3.0 or the 4.0?

Your better off buying the 6 cylinder as you can tow more and haul more. Sorry, you went with the 4 cylinder, you will regret it.

We'll certainly see. I currently have a Chevy Silverado extended cab, 5.3l 4x4. It is the best truck I've ever owned, but gets about 15mpg. I only ever haul a few sheets of ply or take my garbage to the dump. I've only used the 4 wheel feature a couple of times in the 6 years I've owned it. I'd be buying GM again, but the ranger got some good reviews and gets better milage than the colorado. My brother had a 4cyl ranger for a lot of years and beat it, it kept on running. The 16 to 20 mpg rating of the v6 isn't enough of an improvement over my GM to warrant replacing it. The amount I drive (62 miles per day), the ranger should save me $1200 per year in gas over my current GM. The GM is a 2001, in great shape but losing it's trade in value. So all things combined, I think this is the right choice for me. The only other choices would have been Toyota Tacoma, or a small car and figure another way to handle my small hauling needs. I think Ford would be making a big mistake discontinuing the Ranger. They should be extending their Ranger line to include a hybrid. I would buy it in a second.

Kipp

We'll certainly see. I currently have a Chevy Silverado extended cab, 5.3l 4x4. It is the best truck I've ever owned, but gets about 15mpg. I only ever haul a few sheets of ply or take my garbage to the dump. I've only used the 4 wheel feature a couple of times in the 6 years I've owned it. I'd be buying GM again, but the ranger got some good reviews and gets better milage than the colorado. My brother had a 4cyl ranger for a lot of years and beat it, it kept on running. The 16 to 20 mpg rating of the v6 isn't enough of an improvement over my GM to warrant replacing it. The amount I drive (62 miles per day), the ranger should save me $1200 per year in gas over my current GM. The GM is a 2001, in great shape but losing it's trade in value. So all things combined, I think this is the right choice for me. The only other choices would have been Toyota Tacoma, or a small car and figure another way to handle my small hauling needs. I think Ford would be making a big mistake discontinuing the Ranger. They should be extending their Ranger line to include a hybrid. I would buy it in a second.

Kipp

Ranger actually needs to go. Its a good truck but its out dated and it keeps getting bashed by the critics. The only way i see ford keeping the ranger is a redisigned model or a brand new model with a different name to be released before 2010.