05 Expy developed some rattles

Lonestar70

Three weeks ago I took delivery of a brand new left over from last year XLT Expedition. Recently it has developed a very noticeable rattle in the dash on the passengers side. I also have a rattle in the drivers side door. I was just curious if anyone else has had similar rattles in their vehicles, if so could you tell me what was wrong and what the possible fix is. In the past with other vehicles it has sometimes been difficult for a dealer to fix rattles and creaks. I thought if someone on this forum has had a similar problem to mine then I might be able to give the dealer more information to help in finding the source of the rattle.

Any help is much appreciated, Thank you

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
Three weeks ago I took delivery of a brand new left over from last year XLT Expedition. Recently it has developed a very noticeable rattle in the dash on the passengers side. I also have a rattle in the drivers side door. I was just curious if anyone else has had similar rattles in their vehicles, if so could you tell me what was wrong and what the possible fix is. In the past with other vehicles it has sometimes been difficult for a dealer to fix rattles and creaks. I thought if someone on this forum has had a similar problem to mine then I might be able to give the dealer more information to help in finding the source of the rattle.

Any help is much appreciated, Thank you

Michael

I had one in the neighborhood of the driver's seat that drove me crazy for about 3 months. It was a rolling sound that I though was a bolt loose in the dash. I even took the dash apart looking for it. Finally turned out to be a skittle candy that one of my boy's put in the vent and made its way to the bend of heater tubing under the driver's seat and carpet. There was no way to get it out, but I found it! I had to cut a slot in the plastic, then duck tape it back after I got out the skittle. I was so relieved when I found it, and the ducting did not seem to put very much heat on the floor anyway, so I think I did not affect it! I also had a squeekie door seal that I fixed with vasoline about 6 month ago, and have not heard from since. The only thing that is bothering me now is that the leather seems to be slightly developing cracks in the driver's seat and a couple of seats in the second row. I hope that will be covered when I take it back in to the dealer, good luck.

Edited by yamahaR1

whoa, cracks in the leather? not good!

my parents' 03 and now their 06 (to an extent) has this super annoying rattle in the headliner above the second row on the passenger side. I swear it's something in the duct work up there viberating. It gets on my nerves cause I'm the one that rides back there. It only does it in the winter though so I guess it's tolerable.

I think I solved one of the rattles it was coming from the passenger side dash. I found when I pressed down on the airbag vinyl plastic cover it stopped so I just sprayed a whole lot of armour all to make it more plyable especially where the cover comes in contact with the dash so far so good if it comes back I'll just spray on some more armour all. The rattles on the drivers side door come and go. I noticed when it rains or gets colder it seems to go away. I thinking maybe its the weather stripping or something like that or else something inside the door is affected by the moisture when it rains. There is a similar noise coming from the front passenger door might be the same problem since it comes and goes.

I also noticed that my drivers side power captains seat is slightly loose you can feel a very slight movement when I accelerate fast I guess its throwing my weight backwards. I probably will have to take it to the dealer to have that fixed unless anyone out there knows how I can fix it myself.

Anymore comments are appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
I think I solved one of the rattles it was coming from the passenger side dash. I found when I pressed down on the airbag vinyl plastic cover it stopped so I just sprayed a whole lot of armour all to make it more plyable especially where the cover comes in contact with the dash so far so good if it comes back I'll just spray on some more armour all. The rattles on the drivers side door come and go. I noticed when it rains or gets colder it seems to go away. I thinking maybe its the weather stripping or something like that or else something inside the door is affected by the moisture when it rains. There is a similar noise coming from the front passenger door might be the same problem since it comes and goes.

I also noticed that my drivers side power captains seat is slightly loose you can feel a very slight movement when I accelerate fast I guess its throwing my weight backwards. I probably will have to take it to the dealer to have that fixed unless anyone out there knows how I can fix it myself.

Anymore comments are appreciated

I had the same problem on my '05 Expy with the door noise. I did indeed find it to be the weather stripping, and it went away with car wash/rain. I fixed it by putting some vaseline on the very inside piece of weather stripping at the top of the door. It took me a while to isolate which one was making the noise, which seemed like a rattle/squeeky noise at first. I got it, and over 6 months with no more noises. I just pulled the weather stripping out and rubbed some vaseline on the inside of the roof track where it runs. No more noises!!!! I got rid of the skittle at nearly the same time. That was a rolling noise that at first I thought was surly a loose bolt or something in the dash. Now it is quiet like brand new, just have to take it in to have the dealer look at the seats now. Seems like 2 part of the second row, and the driver's side are cracking in the leather. Very strange indeed for real leather which I put leather protectant on frequently, trust me I am anal about cleanliness, and conditioning the leather. I hope they don't try to say I did something, I am not fat (180lb) and there is no reason for the leather to be cracking. By the way, I would recommend sylicone over armor all, seems like it would last a little longer on your dash rattle.

Edited by yamahaR1