08 Mariner and Sirius

wacbzz

First post so go easy...

I just leased a 2008 Mariner with the Moon/Tune but no Sirius. My console has the SAT button. I am trying to figure out how to get Sirius set up without having to use a plug and play FM mod system. I want to use it through my existing radio and know that I can with the SAT button.

My dealer says there is no "kit" to hook up for the Mariner. Does Ford/Mercury not sell such a kit? Or do they and the dealer just doesn't know what they are talking about? An "aftermarket" buddy of mine says there is something that exists that goes under the dash that just plugs into the back of the radio that will allow the factory radio to receive the Sirius signal - sort of like a "brain."

Any help is greatly appreciated...

First post so go easy...

I just leased a 2008 Mariner with the Moon/Tune but no Sirius. My console has the SAT button. I am trying to figure out how to get Sirius set up without having to use a plug and play FM mod system. I want to use it through my existing radio and know that I can with the SAT button.

My dealer says there is no "kit" to hook up for the Mariner. Does Ford/Mercury not sell such a kit? Or do they and the dealer just doesn't know what they are talking about? An "aftermarket" buddy of mine says there is something that exists that goes under the dash that just plugs into the back of the radio that will allow the factory radio to receive the Sirius signal - sort of like a "brain."

Any help is greatly appreciated...

That's weird, because our 2008 Mariner also has the Moon/Tune package which includes Sirius satellite as part of that package. Sirius wasn't a separate option with that package. :headscratch:

Anyway, over at Escape-Central, there were a couple of people that did not have the package and did not have Sirius, so they checked with their Ford dealer, and yes, there is an add on package, or "kit", that you can add to your Mariner that will also utilize the SAT button. I think it is over $300 for the package though. Kind of pricey, but that would be better than a plug and play system. I don't know how much I helped, but maybe you should check with another Ford dealer.

That's weird, because our 2008 Mariner also has the Moon/Tune package which includes Sirius satellite as part of that package. Sirius wasn't a separate option with that package. :headscratch:

Anyway, over at Escape-Central, there were a couple of people that did not have the package and did not have Sirius, so they checked with their Ford dealer, and yes, there is an add on package, or "kit", that you can add to your Mariner that will also utilize the SAT button. I think it is over $300 for the package though. Kind of pricey, but that would be better than a plug and play system. I don't know how much I helped, but maybe you should check with another Ford dealer.

Thanks for the info. There are apparently 2 Moon/Tune packages. One with the Sirius "brain" and the other without - though I'm not sure why Mercury would even offer the audio system without it. The Sirius is $195 extra on the invoice if it is included. Now I'm gonna have to spend $300+ to get it. :cry: :whipped:

Thanks for the info. There are apparently 2 Moon/Tune packages. One with the Sirius "brain" and the other without - though I'm not sure why Mercury would even offer the audio system without it. The Sirius is $195 extra on the invoice if it is included. Now I'm gonna have to spend $300+ to get it. :cry: :whipped:

No problem.

I checked my invoice and the window sticker, but Sirius isn't listed separately for $195. So I checked Mercury's website, and you're right; There's a Moon and Tune package for non-Premier models, and a Moon and Tune Elite package for Premier models. The Moon and Tune Elite package includes the Sirius satellite and roof rack with satin inserts and crossbars. I somehow missed the word Elite next to the Moon and Tune on my window sticker.

Mercury should include Sirius with all Moon and Tune packages. :shrug:

Anyway, good luck with the kit. Hopefully you can get that kit for less.

If your vehicle has the satellite hardware installed, you will have a black plastic bump on the roof above the front passenger seat. That's the satellite antenna. If so, you're in luck. Look at page 36 of the car's manual (in mine for the '08 Mariner Hybrid, it may be different in yours.) There is a section called "Satellite Radio Electronic Serial Number (ESN)."

Put the radio in Satellite mode by pressing the SAT button. You might see a message saying "Unsubscribed" or "Call Sirius". If so, the vehicle doesn't have an active subscription. What you do is hold down the AUX and Preset 1 buttons simultaneously and you will see a number come up on the display. That's the radio's unique number and you need to copy it down. Then you can call Sirius and give them this number and your money, and they will activate a subscription for you.

-Chris.

If your vehicle has the satellite hardware installed, you will have a black plastic bump on the roof above the front passenger seat. That's the satellite antenna. If so, you're in luck. Look at page 36 of the car's manual (in mine for the '08 Mariner Hybrid, it may be different in yours.) There is a section called "Satellite Radio Electronic Serial Number (ESN)."

Put the radio in Satellite mode by pressing the SAT button. You might see a message saying "Unsubscribed" or "Call Sirius". If so, the vehicle doesn't have an active subscription. What you do is hold down the AUX and Preset 1 buttons simultaneously and you will see a number come up on the display. That's the radio's unique number and you need to copy it down. Then you can call Sirius and give them this number and your money, and they will activate a subscription for you.

-Chris.

He has the Moon and Tune package and no Sirius satellite option, so he would not have the antenna. He would need to get the kit from a Ford dealer like he mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...