TTAC drives the 2008 Ranger

RangerM

However, when someone who thinks they know everything because they drive a 2000 Sable spouts off about family cars, vehicle engineering, and the purchasing considerations of pickup owners, one is justified in asking how his opinions on these subjects are valid.

The same could be said for you, Sable boy.

The same could be said for you, Sable boy.

You darn right. Everyone here has a legitimate claim to the basis of my opinions and I am happy to supply that basis.

What do you do? Do you do even the slightest bit of research to underpin any of your assertions? No. You shoot from the hip, and if you're right, you're right, and if you're wrong, well, you'll still insist you're right.

I thought the 4.2 in the F-150 got around 20-22 MPG? My dads work truck is a 2005 4.2 and he gets 20 mpg at 35,000 miles.

I have a 1997. I had to replace the engine last year, it hydro locked. Apparently its a problem with how the engine was made back then. Anyway it might get that much highway, but definitely not city. I'm not even in a city, its a suburb with many 45mph+ roads and I get around 16 or less. I don't floor it either, I drive conservatively.

You darn right. Everyone here has a legitimate claim to the basis of my opinions and I am happy to supply that basis.

What do you do? Do you do even the slightest bit of research to underpin any of your assertions? No. You shoot from the hip, and if you're right, you're right, and if you're wrong, well, you'll still insist you're right.

Not true...but if you want to climb staircases and push a billion buttons...enjoy your "truck"

Edited by P71_CrownVic

Well, it's like this: I pointed out that you are not married, are not a powertrain engineer, and do not own a truck. That was the basis for asserting that you need to provide more than your say-so for your assertion.

Do you own a truck? Are you a powertrain engineer?

Can your Sable tow 11K pounds? How many buttons does it have?

Do you own a truck? Are you a powertrain engineer?

Can your Sable tow 11K pounds? How many buttons does it have?

I own a truck and I think the new one is great. Bed volume is really good, taillights don't bother me at all..they're just taillights.. and the step is a very good idea. Notice how I said step..its not a staircase!! lol...its a STEP. :finger:

Do you own a truck?

Your assertion: 'real truck users don't want a truck with a built in staircase.'

Your supporting arguments: non-existent.

My assertion: 'rated payload and towing capacity matter to even personal-use/light duty consumers.'

My supporting arguments:

1) Continued decline of the compact truck segment as fullsize trucks have gotten larger and more capable (compare compact truck sales in absolute terms and as a percentage of overall sales from 1996 to 2007).

2) Decline in compact truck segment despite new offerings from Dodge, GM, Toyota and Nissan. Most have taken market share from the Ranger, but the segment remains marginal with declining overall volume.

Those figures are real. The 'arms race' in fullsize trucks has not led to any sustained bump in volume for compact/midsize trucks.

Ergo, I assert that Ford's integrated steps make the capacity pickup owners have expressed a preference for (based on buying trends) more usable.

Your assertion: 'real truck users don't want a truck with a built in staircase.'

Your supporting arguments: non-existent.

My assertion: 'rated payload and towing capacity matter to even personal-use/light duty consumers.'

My supporting arguments:

1) Continued decline of the compact truck segment as fullsize trucks have gotten larger and more capable (compare compact truck sales in absolute terms and as a percentage of overall sales from 1996 to 2007).

2) Decline in compact truck segment despite new offerings from Dodge, GM, Toyota and Nissan. Most have taken market share from the Ranger, but the segment remains marginal with declining overall volume.

Those figures are real. The 'arms race' in fullsize trucks has not led to any sustained bump in volume for compact/midsize trucks.

Ergo, I assert that Ford's integrated steps make the capacity pickup owners have expressed a preference for (based on buying trends) more usable.

Or you could say...Ray's a truck owner and he likes it...your not a truck owner....so a truck owner's (a person who might purchase the truck) opinion matters more to Ford.

useless but entertaining for me.....

i live 17 miles from work one way.

i saw 22 Rangers on the way home today, not including my own. ( it was rush hour, so i was bored and counted them)

thats 1.29 Rangers per mile.

still alot of these lilttle bastards out there being used. all of them were the 'current' platform too (93+).