TTAC drives the 2008 Ranger

RangerM

i find it odd too. they are great little trucks, but i would have expected a thrashing about it being plasticky, more emphasis on the butt wiggling over bumps and the general unrefined nature of the truck. I love my little Ranger, but yeah, it sure as hell isnt modern at all. Milage isnt bad. ive noted what i get in my sig and it almost never falls below that for an average tankful.

I think it is a shame that they are not going to keep this vehicle in production. How much would it really cost to engineer new F-150 style sheetmetal and use the dash from the Explorer to give it a nice update? How about an optional Duratec 35? It seems like it would be possible and put new life back into this little truck.

Rangers are good trucks. They are better than S-10's and Colorados. I have driven Rangers and the Chevy's frequently and all the Chevys feel like crude thrashing cheap junk wih too much slop and tolerance built into them. My Step-Dad has an early 90's Ranger he has had since new that is solid, comfortable and reliable.

I think we are seeing an upswing in Ranger popularity again..

I think it is a shame that they are not going to keep this vehicle in production. How much would it really cost to engineer new F-150 style sheetmetal and use the dash from the Explorer to give it a nice update? How about an optional Duratec 35? It seems like it would be possible and put new life back into this little truck.

I heard that Ford Austrailia is working on a Global Ranger right now. Seeing as they said global RANGER, hopefully that means theyre keeping the Ranger name. It would be pretty dumb for them to pull a Taurus again. lol

Rangers are good trucks. They are better than S-10's and Colorados. I have driven Rangers and the Chevy's frequently and all the Chevys feel like crude thrashing cheap junk wih too much slop and tolerance built into them. My Step-Dad has an early 90's Ranger he has had since new that is solid, comfortable and reliable.

I think we are seeing an upswing in Ranger popularity again..

When i was looking for a truck i had 2 choices. A 2002 Chevrolet S10 Extended cab automatc 4.3 V6 with 115,000 on it and my other choice was a 1999 Ford Ranger regular cab automatic 3.0 V6 with 159,500 on it. They both were in the price range of $3500-4000. I went with the ranger because i knew the ranger was better built and the 3.0 vulcan is a very reliable engine. I do not regret buying the ranger and i am real happy with it. Although the Vulcan is considered underpowered at 155 hp compared the the competition, the Vulcan will get up, fly and soar when you need it to. Then ranger is indeed a good companion to venture with. I love driving my truck and i love my ranger :) i hate will hate to see it go, but if thats what it takes for the survival of ford motor company, then so be it.

When i was looking for a truck i had 2 choices. A 2002 Chevrolet S10 Extended cab automatc 4.3 V6 with 115,000 on it and my other choice was a 1999 Ford Ranger regular cab automatic 3.0 V6 with 159,500 on it. They both were in the price range of $3500-4000. I went with the ranger because i knew the ranger was better built and the 3.0 vulcan is a very reliable engine. I do not regret buying the ranger and i am real happy with it. Although the Vulcan is considered underpowered at 155 hp compared the the competition, the Vulcan will get up, fly and soar when you need it to. Then ranger is indeed a good companion to venture with. I love driving my truck and i love my ranger :) i hate will hate to see it go, but if thats what it takes for the survival of ford motor company, then so be it.

The Ranger might not be going. See my above post.

i find it odd too. they are great little trucks, but i would have expected a thrashing about it being plasticky, more emphasis on the butt wiggling over bumps and the general unrefined nature of the truck.

I give the author credit for acknowledging the purpose of the Ranger and its intended purpose. Simple, rugged, handy, and reliable.

i hope your right, do you drive a ranger?

No, I drive a 1997 4.2L F-150 XLT (wish it was a v8, bad power and bad mpg..), but my dad used to have a Ranger. It was a manual 2wd v4. Its was a real nice truck. It held up really good, he put a lot of miles on it. He'd probably have one now, but he got an SUV for my mom instead and hes driving her old car now. After college when I'm ready for a new car I'll probably give him my truck (I'll probably get a new F150). He drives mine alot when I'm up at college.

Edited by ray101988

Another good article from TTAC, I particularly appreciated this part:

With the departure of the compact Toyota Tacoma in 2004, the Ranger is the only safe haven for "right-sized" truckers. The Ranger's long bed carries a full 43.6 cubic feet of cargo, with a metal tailgate that easily closes with a single hand. And while the latest Ford F150 boasts class-leading stepladders to access its bountiful bed, Ranger-philes need not stretch a single vertebra to grasp a misplaced tool in their pickup's cargo hole.

After my time with a Ranger, the words "reasonable" and "honest" sprung to mind. As gas prices soar, the housing market tanks and sales of mid/full size pickups return from whence they came, the time for the Ranger to shine is now.

But the staggering neglect and obligatory demise of another famous Blue Oval product is proof positive that Ford is lowering its overhead via unnecessary self-mutilation. As the threat of mini-rigs from once-foreign lands grows more credible, the low-brow Ranger is a potential profit center. Come 2009, Ford's decision to kill the Ranger will soon become another haunting melody from another, better time.

Right on the money. :ohsnap:

Edited by Armada Master

Another good article from TTAC, I particularly appreciated this part:

Right on the money. :ohsnap:

And while the latest Ford F150 boasts class-leading stepladders to access its bountiful bed, Ranger-philes need not stretch a single vertebra to grasp a misplaced tool in their pickup's cargo hole.

Awesome.

Just because a "truck" has a staircase and 43,000 buttons on the dash does not mean it is a good "truck".

The Ranger is honest. It is a truck. It is not some wanna-be yuppie mobile that will never see a dirt road.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

Awesome.

Just because a "truck" has a staircase and 43,000 buttons on the dash does not mean it is a good "truck".

The Ranger is honest. It is a truck. It is not some wanna-be yuppie mobile that will never see a dirt road.

It doesn't have a million buttons, only that one model did geez.... The staircase was a good idea, people who actually DRIVE trucks know that that extra bed volume is really helpfull when carrying loads. Do you even drive a truck?

No he doesn't, and as his posts demonstrate, that makes him an instant expert.

Previously this bachelor has spouted off on his preferences for family cars.

This fire fighter has spouted off on powertrain engineering.

Today, no surprise, this guy who drives a retired cop car is telling us that, contrary to sales figures, he knows what =real= pickup owners want.

One is thankful that he at least has genuine competence at his actual profession. Because if he were as bad at doing his own job as he is at doing other people's jobs, people would die.

It doesn't have a million buttons, only that one model did geez.... The staircase was a good idea, people who actually DRIVE trucks know that that extra bed volume is really helpfull when carrying loads. Do you even drive a truck?

Today, no surprise, this guy who drives a retired cop car is telling us that, contrary to sales figures, he knows what =real= pickup owners want.

One is thankful that he at least has genuine competence at his actual profession. Because if he were as bad at doing his own job as he is at doing other people's jobs, people would die.

Wow...didn't know you had to be an expert to have an opinion....guess you guys are B-O-F RWD sedan owners since you've never kept your mouth shut on those topics....eh?

BTW, you've achieved:

1172299167025pp5.jpg

Edited by Armada Master

No, I drive a 1997 4.2L F-150 XLT (wish it was a v8, bad power and bad mpg..), but my dad used to have a Ranger. It was a manual 2wd v4. Its was a real nice truck. It held up really good, he put a lot of miles on it. He'd probably have one now, but he got an SUV for my mom instead and hes driving her old car now. After college when I'm ready for a new car I'll probably give him my truck (I'll probably get a new F150). He drives mine alot when I'm up at college.

I thought the 4.2 in the F-150 got around 20-22 MPG? My dads work truck is a 2005 4.2 and he gets 20 mpg at 35,000 miles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

My son has a 1990 Ranger that has 225,000 miles on it. My daughters has 285,000 on it. I pulled the engine in my daughters to seal it up (new gaskets) at 207K, and when I measured the bore it was in spec. I didn't pop a piston, but when I put it back together it still pulled 155 psi on all 4 cylinders. The bearings had little to no wear, so I left them in.

These two trucks survived their teen-age owners and both were wrecked during the trials. They come back asking for more. Tough little trucks!!

My son's tag is "TIMEXXX"

Count me among the Ranger evangelists, my Dad has one and it is brilliantly reliable, comfotable and trouble free. The vehicle is VERY well built, while the interior is dated, it's hardly primitive or ugly. The Ranger, for him, is the difference between owning a Truck and owning a Fusion. There is no way an F-150 would ever work for his needs, its far too big, expensive, and gas thirsty (especially now!). His owner satisfaction on the Ranger cant be matched, it's the first Ford that he can't be convinced to give up.

Edited by BORG

My two cents. I guess I truly am a loser. I have an 07 CV Sport that is great and an 04 Ranger Super Cab FX4,Level II. Both great vehicles that the brilliant planners have banished from the future product slate. And the sad fact is, both could be revived without spending a fortune.

I've posted may times about the great MPG of my CV, its comfort and its reliability. The one it replaced had 216,000 and was bought in two hours after the want ad rag hit the newstand. It was going oversees so the ramp truck driver said who picked it up.

As for the Ranger, its as everyone has previously described. Great value for someone who wants the convenience of a pick up without paying the price of a 150-or Ram -or Silverado. It replaced an 89 that I bought with 47,000 on it and on which my two sons learned how to drive a stick through high school, then they both took it to college ad with almost 200,000 on it, I gave it to friend who replaced the auto hubs with manuals, changed the dome cover gaskets and its still going strong.

Also, key point, how many years ago was it one of the top 10 sellers in the US? Not that many. My only hope is that unlike the idiots who have been calling the shots, Mulally is reviewing a lot of recent decisions and is asking the kind of questions that will produce answers that seem so obvious to many of us. If he can salvage 20 years of name recognition with the Taurus, maybe its not too late to reverse some of these other dumb moves. Why give up on segments you've owned???

There is nothing wrong with being single, a fire fighter, or the owner of a used cop car.

However, when someone who meets all of those qualifications spouts off about family cars, vehicle engineering, and the purchasing considerations of pickup owners, one is justified in asking how his opinions on these subjects are valid.

It is not as though, even once, he has supplied any kind of counter argument supporting his opinions.

Instead, we are to take them as correct based on his say-so.

Therefore, introducing facts about his background is hardly an ad hominem attack. It serves, rather, as an illustration that his opinions do not gain validity based on his personal experience.

As far as saying that he is 'bad' at his assumed jobs, yeah, that would qualify as 'ad hominem' but hardly of the kind of over the top sort which is unacceptable here.

There is nothing wrong with being single, a fire fighter, or the owner of a used cop car.

However, when someone who meets all of those qualifications spouts off about family cars, vehicle engineering, and the purchasing considerations of pickup owners, one is justified in asking how his opinions on these subjects are valid.

It is not as though, even once, he has supplied any kind of counter argument supporting his opinions.

Instead, we are to take them as correct based on his say-so.

Therefore, introducing facts about his background is hardly an ad hominem attack. It serves, rather, as an illustration that his opinions do not gain validity based on his personal experience.

As far as saying that he is 'bad' at his assumed jobs, yeah, that would qualify as 'ad hominem' but hardly of the kind of over the top sort which is unacceptable here.

single, fire fighter and driver of a used cop car....sounds like a singer for Village people?