Gas Pump keeps "popping" when filling up : (

dr76

I've got a '93 5-speed (2.3L) and can't keep the gas pump nozzle from "popping" when filling up. I've been to MANY different gas stations, and although some are "better" than others, none keep me from wanting to commit acts of violence to the pump! And it's not like it happens at each gallon pumped, it "pops" every few seconds... driving me nuts! I've tried all different angles and pulled the trigger/handle to different positions, but nothing works...

I was told the rubber portion at the top of the filler neck may be kinked, but it sure looks fine to me...

* If I lived in a full-service state (NJ, Oregon,..) I don't think I 'd get served!

Thanks... gas costs too much to have it spit out every time the nozzle "pops"! :banghead:

I've got a '93 5-speed (2.3L) and can't keep the gas pump nozzle from "popping" when filling up. I've been to MANY different gas stations, and although some are "better" than others, none keep me from wanting to commit acts of violence to the pump! And it's not like it happens at each gallon pumped, it "pops" every few seconds... driving me nuts! I've tried all different angles and pulled the trigger/handle to different positions, but nothing works...

I was told the rubber portion at the top of the filler neck may be kinked, but it sure looks fine to me...

* If I lived in a full-service state (NJ, Oregon,..) I don't think I 'd get served!

Thanks... gas costs too much to have it spit out every time the nozzle "pops"! :banghead:

I remember that problem..... The rubber tube that feeds the gas tank is a double walled tube. If the inside tube kinks the filler can not expel the air inside the tank. That causes the pump to pop and stop fuel because it is trying to keep you from spilling gas all over the ground and the side of the truck.

I ended up replacing that hose assemble twice on my old ranger. Its a PAIN in the rear to drop the tank to replace it. Watch out for the 10mm nuts on the gas tank straps, they like to break. ALSO do not underestimate the weight of that gas tank even IF you think it is empty. Darn near crushed myself once doing that.

Later,

Mackintire

I remember that problem..... The rubber tube that feeds the gas tank is a double walled tube. If the inside tube kinks the filler can not expel the air inside the tank. That causes the pump to pop and stop fuel because it is trying to keep you from spilling gas all over the ground and the side of the truck.

I ended up replacing that hose assemble twice on my old ranger. Its a PAIN in the rear to drop the tank to replace it. Watch out for the 10mm nuts on the gas tank straps, they like to break. ALSO do not underestimate the weight of that gas tank even IF you think it is empty. Darn near crushed myself once doing that.

Later,

Mackintire

What he said, only I didn't nearly get crushed. Gas is about 6# per gallon. So a few gallons of gas, plus the wieght of the tank that is without handles...be careful!