4.6l over the 4.0l will cost you $1275

I have a '06 Explorer EB now with the 4.0L and am happy with the power. Just kicking around some ideas for the next vehicle when the current lease expires in 6 months. I see the MPG is 14/20 regardless of which engine I pick but Ford wants $1275 additional for the V8. That's a little steep don't you think. I can recall back in the 90's when the V8 was only about $700 more than the V6. I know you get the 6 speed tranny too with the V8 but come on...$1275? Since I don't tow I might have to stick with the 4.0L for that price.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a '06 Explorer EB now with the 4.0L and am happy with the power. Just kicking around some ideas for the next vehicle when the current lease expires in 6 months. I see the MPG is 14/20 regardless of which engine I pick but Ford wants $1275 additional for the V8. That's a little steep don't you think. I can recall back in the 90's when the V8 was only about $700 more than the V6. I know you get the 6 speed tranny too with the V8 but come on...$1275? Since I don't tow I might have to stick with the 4.0L for that price.

You were mis-informed! The V-8 is and has been a no cost option since the 06 release.

Well something adds the cost on. Try building it yourself.

Wow! I think they got me on that. I thought it was a no cost option because the cost falls within the base price of the vehicle on the window stickers. It's not listed like other options. I just checked a window sticker on line, and the base price for a 4X4 V8 Eddie Bauer is 32,320. It matches the build tool, so you must be right.

The extra power is nice. I measured the 0-60MPH time on my 06 4X4 V8 with an accelerometer and it was slightly under 6.9 seconds. Fast!!

Wow! I think they got me on that. I thought it was a no cost option because the cost falls within the base price of the vehicle on the window stickers. It's not listed like other options. I just checked a window sticker on line, and the base price for a 4X4 V8 Eddie Bauer is 32,320. It matches the build tool, so you must be right.

The extra power is nice. I measured the 0-60MPH time on my 06 4X4 V8 with an accelerometer and it was slightly under 6.9 seconds. Fast!!

You may want to check this out though. http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=11979