Information about Keys

weriley

At one time vehicle keys had chips in them, no chip no start.

Can I get extra keys made for '08 Mariner anywhere or do I need to get special ones from my ford/mercury dealer?

I imagine that you will need special keys. You can get normal keys made to open the door, but not start the car.

I imagine that you will need special keys. You can get normal keys made to open the door, but not start the car.

It's a racket that all manufacturers subscribe to. No new vehicle can be started without a key with an embeded transponder chip. I lost my keys just 4 months ago. They were gone for over 24 hours and I called the dealer to find out how to replace them. Mind you I had several keys on one ring but came to find out that the two most valuable were the Fusion and Edge keys on my ring. The dealer told me it would cost $210.00 per key to replace based off of the VIN number, and an additional $40.00 to have them programmed specific to my vehicle. That is right $250.00 a piece for only 2 keys which equals $500.00 a set and that did not figure in my house key, my non chipped truck key, my CAT key, my Reese hitch key, and all the other I would have had to replace. I'm glad you reminded me, because I am going to have a door key made so I can lock my keys in the car!

Actually, it would depend on the type of key your vehicle uses. To clarify, let's say you have the fancy key with the integrated fob, then like Furious said, it'll cost you. However, if you have the key separate from fob, then you just need to buy the key. You can get it from a ford/merc/linc dealer or on ebay. Just make sure it's the correct key. If you don't have two programmed keys, you'll need to have the dealer program it. That's why whenever I buy a new vehicle, I always have spare keys thrown in the deal.

Also, if I am correct, you should be able to use the key w/o fob on the new ones that came with the integrated keys...you just won't have the remote function built into them. That, in my opinion, is actually a good thing.

Good luck!

I have an 08 Escape. When I purchased the car I also purchased a spare key with the FOB for $100 from the dealer. Although setting the key is supposed to be easy I let the dealer do it. To me having the extra key is worth the money. i keep it on a separate key chain and use when the car goes into the dealer for service.

• 2 weeks later...
At one time vehicle keys had chips in them, no chip no start.

Can I get extra keys made for '08 Mariner anywhere or do I need to get special ones from my ford/mercury dealer?

Go here www.transponderisland.com to get a key, and program it yourself. The key with chip is $17.00 without the remote.