Truckers ‘going broke’ and threatening to strike

fmccap

Truckers ‘going broke’ and threatening to strike

What started as a small, online grassroots effort now appears to have the potential for something bigger.

Dan Little, the owner/operator of a livestock hauling company in Carrollton, Mo., estimated Tuesday that at least 1,000 other truckers from across the United States have committed so far to joining him in a strike on April 1.

Even when the surcharges do make it back to the driver, they are not enough.

“I turn down loads every day,” Little said. “The loads aren’t the problem — never have been.

“It’s the only thing I know how to do, driving a truck. But I sold my trailer the other day, and I’m not buying another one until something gets done.

“In no way, shape or form do truckers want to hurt this country. My whole deal on this thing is that I’m shutting down on April 1. Call it a strike, a shutdown or just flat-ass going broke.”

Little said he has no other choice.

Our federal government is subsidizing railroads, airlines, banks and farmers,” he said. “Meanwhile, we’re being taxed to death.”

Let them go on strike. Maybe then something will be done with the high cost of fuel. Better yet get all truckers and trucking companies go on strike for lower fuel. After they go on strike maybe the Railroad industry and Airline industry can follow suit. Call me crazy but this is just what this country needs right now. A massive strike that will affect each and every person in this country.

Add to that the possiblity of electing a whole new group of people in Washington D.C. to get this economy back on track. Let us take back our country and put an end to the greedy corporations. Put all the oil people in the poor house at the same time. Who is with me.

Let them go on strike. Maybe then something will be done with the high cost of fuel. Better yet get all truckers and trucking companies go on strike for lower fuel. After they go on strike maybe the Railroad industry and Airline industry can follow suit. Call me crazy but this is just what this country needs right now. A massive strike that will affect each and every person in this country.

Add to that the possiblity of electing a whole new group of people in Washington D.C. to get this economy back on track. Let us take back our country and put an end to the greedy corporations. Put all the oil people in the poor house at the same time. Who is with me.

You have brought up some very good ideas, Souljaboy, I couldn't agree more. There is no question that the independent truckers are in a big barrel shit and hurting like never before and it is unfair to them. But like you said, maybe some of the other trucking companies can start to follow this pattern, and yes, I can go along with the railroads and airlines too. We've all read about on how to save on fuel by consolidating trips to the store, slowing down while on the road, etc, etc. Here's another couple of ideas that may have some merit. Use the last digit of your vehicle's license plate, be it odd or even as the basis for buying any gas on a particluar day, say for example, if the day is Sun the 16th and your vehicle license number ends in an even number, then buy some fuel, BUT---only what you will REALLY need, not necessarily a fillup. If you live close enough to the stores, you got two feet don't ya? Walk instead. How about a bicycle perhaps? Just thought I'd see if that may be an option for you. I don't know if this will help put the oil companys and the other greedy corparate assholes in the poorhouse that seem to have a lock on Washington D.C. One thing is certain, though, the people of our country are slowly, but surely getting more ornery by the day and if the patience runs out.....LOOK OUT! Maybe that's what this country of ours needs, protests, or a massive strike of some kind, whatever. We need to restore integrity and fairness in this country or else.... :rockon::rant::stirpot:

You have brought up some very good ideas, Souljaboy, I couldn't agree more. There is no question that the independent truckers are in a big barrel shit and hurting like never before and it is unfair to them. But like you said, maybe some of the other trucking companies can start to follow this pattern, and yes, I can go along with the railroads and airlines too. We've all read about on how to save on fuel by consolidating trips to the store, slowing down while on the road, etc, etc. Here's another couple of ideas that may have some merit. Use the last digit of your vehicle's license plate, be it odd or even as the basis for buying any gas on a particluar day, say for example, if the day is Sun the 16th and your vehicle license number ends in an even number, then buy some fuel, BUT---only what you will REALLY need, not necessarily a fillup. If you live close enough to the stores, you got two feet don't ya? Walk instead. How about a bicycle perhaps? Just thought I'd see if that may be an option for you. I don't know if this will help put the oil companys and the other greedy corparate assholes in the poorhouse that seem to have a lock on Washington D.C. One thing is certain, though, the people of our country are slowly, but surely getting more ornery by the day and if the patience runs out.....LOOK OUT! Maybe that's what this country of ours needs, protests, or a massive strike of some kind, whatever. We need to restore integrity and fairness in this country or else.... :rockon::rant::stirpot:

It would be nice if ALL of the unions would get stick together and shut down for a week, every plant, every truck, every single person to stay the hell off of the road.

I'm with ya'.

yes, let them all go on strike.. bring this country to it's knees! thats just what we need on the brink of recession is a kick in the ass to put us over the edge!

Yes that would be a likely scenario, I tend to think that a national strike or the threat of such a strike would open the eyes of all those people in Washington D.C. It also brings the rest of the country closer to seeing how bad it has really gotten since that monkey looking dumbass took office. I am talking about Ole Dubya by-the-way.

yes, let them all go on strike.. bring this country to it's knees! thats just what we need on the brink of recession is a kick in the ass to put us over the edge!

You may have a point there, but if you have some other suggestions on how to handle this unfortunate and tragic situation that is happening to the truckers and to the rest of the country, we'd like to hear it. I don't think you are going to get the attention of all the ultra rich motherfuckers that literally control every sector of our government unless you do something that is drastic, inconvenient and a breaking news story. Maybe some wide spread demonstrations and protests like the ones in the 1960-70's all over might be a way to get their attention. For one thing, the assholes in the gov't would be forced to come to the forum at that point, if for no other reason than to try to stop all the bad policity on them. That bad publicity is a great attention getter, if it is used properly. And we don't have to necessarily disrupt day-to-day functions too drastically either. I don't think it would bring the country to it's knees, per se, but all this ongoing economic turmoil just might, all by itself, if the matter doesn't get addressed. Just my thoughts.

Edited by NoMoVisteon

short term loss= long time gain. Dont look at what it would do in the next 4 months, but the next 4 years.

short term loss= long time gain. Dont look at what it would do in the next 4 months, but the next 4 years.

You said short term loss for now. But why don't you try to explain that to those truckers that are literally at the edge of a very deep cliff, not to mention small businesses, if they haven't fallen off already. You should also not forget our very own lives as auto workers as well, one does not have to look very far to see that, right? But, like you said, maybe a short term of of loss may lead to some long term gain, it's a tough call for sure. One way or the other, there is no way to avoid it.

We are already on our way over the edge. Truck drivers, and corporations that ship by truck, have no alternative but to pass the added fuel cost on to the consumer. Once consumers stop buying, because of the added cost, we will really see how far over the edge we really are. We, as consumers, are not paying for this cost just once. We are paying for this added fuel cost every time we buy groceries, purchase an appliance, or anything else shipped by truck. By the way, we are not on the brink of a recession, we are already in one.

We are already on our way over the edge. Truck drivers, and corporations that ship by truck, have no alternative but to pass the added fuel cost on to the consumer. Once consumers stop buying, because of the added cost, we will really see how far over the edge we really are. We, as consumers, are not paying for this cost just once. We are paying for this added fuel cost every time we buy groceries, purchase an appliance, or anything else shipped by truck. By the way, we are not on the brink of a recession, we are already in one.

Right on! They call it "Fuel Surcharge," that increases every time the cost of fuel goes up! :banmolest:

It would be nice if ALL of the unions would get stick together and shut down for a week, every plant, every truck, every single person to stay the hell off of the road.

But the foreign car driving sell-outs still will go to the mall, the bars, the spas, the movies, etc...

That's when we should turn the bulls loose if you know what I mean...

Yes that would be a likely scenario, I tend to think that a national strike or the threat of such a strike would open the eyes of all those people in Washington D.C. It also brings the rest of the country closer to seeing how bad it has really gotten since that monkey looking dumbass took office. I am talking about Ole Dubya by-the-way.

I really wish you wouldn't insult monkeys like that...