What is an MKS???

iluvnascar

I'm still trying to catch up......but I understand the MKX crossover vehicle. But I've heard that the Zephyr nameplate goes away and will be rebadged as an MK - something. Is that the MKS???

Or is the MKS a new Lincoln sedan benched off the Ford Five Hundred?

Clarification please.............

I'm still trying to catch up......but I understand the MKX crossover vehicle. But I've heard that the Zephyr nameplate goes away and will be rebadged as an MK - something. Is that the MKS???

Or is the MKS a new Lincoln sedan benched off the Ford Five Hundred?

Clarification please.............

MKZ (formerly Zephyr)

16549.jpg

MKX (formerly Aviator)

1.jpg

MKS (The D3(Montego/500) based Lincoln)

MKS_Teaser_04_HR_1.jpg

MKZ (formerly Zephyr)

16549.jpg

MKX (formerly Aviator)

1.jpg

MKS (The D3(Montego/500) based Lincoln)

MKS_Teaser_04_HR_1.jpg

Wow...that sure helps....

Now is the new MKS the Town Car replacement? Or are the MKS measurements similar to the 500/Montego?

And one last question....when is Job #1 for the MKS?

The MKS is not neccessarily designated as a replacement to anything. It hasn't been determined if the Town Car is being canceled, but Lincoln is largely wiping out it's existing products and coming out with new ones based on Ford's newer sedans and CUVs. Consequently, Lincolns entire product portfolio is new from the ground-up. If anything, the MkS is the spiritual successor to the Continental.

There are rumors that Lincoln has a larger version of the MKS in the works to serve as Lincoln's flagship, which would essentially replace the Town Car should it survive beyond the closing date of Wixom in 2007.

There is no known Job 1 date for the MKS, but it is a 2008 MY car. So don't expect it anytime before January 2007.

Also worth noting, the MKS pictured above is a concept vehicle and does not reflect the final look of the production model.

Edited by BORG

• 3 weeks later...

Both you are correct... In the lineup the MKS will replace the LS. Both are midsized executive cars with available V6 and V8 power. But the MKS is the spiritual sucessor of the last Contenintal, with some European handling and AWD thrown in. So while the MKS replaces the LS, it isn't along the same thought patern it's a return to the past. My only hope is that L-M benchmarks the A6 in it's handling package... As that should help quell the "FWD/AWD outrage".

The problem I really have with Ford's use of AWD vehicles to replace RWD that I didn't point out before is that they based on FWD platforms, and they are FWD the entire time until you get wheelspin, and only then does the AWD kick in. So 99.9 percent of the time it's just FWD with more weight.

Now if it was a system like some companies use where it's on a constant 40/60 rear biased split then I'd be happy, but not with a torque steering FWD 99% of the time whatever Ford is building. The other huge problem I have with FWD based systems is the terrible looking huge front overhangs...

Only Subaru and the Audi A8 are true AWD platfroms... The A4 and A6 are based on VW platforms, which then Audi modified to put in logitudinal mounted engines. And as for all the not-so-vailed hate of the Haladex system used by Ford and Volvo, it is also used by VW and Audi. No one I know says the Audi TT is plagued by torque steer, and it uses the same system as the Five-Hundred. It's a matter of tuning...

Only Subaru and the Audi A8 are true AWD platfroms... The A4 and A6 are based on VW platforms, which then Audi modified to put in logitudinal mounted engines. And as for all the not-so-vailed hate of the Haladex system used by Ford and Volvo, it is also used by VW and Audi. No one I know says the Audi TT is plagued by torque steer, and it uses the same system as the Five-Hundred. It's a matter of tuning...
Well said.

• 2 weeks later...