New Car Negotiation

kmitch

I will be ordering a new 2009 CS, as soon as pricing is available. I'll be getting X-Plan pricing on the vehicle, but I'm also planning on having the dealership install the FRPP Suspension pack and some other additional accessories prior to delivery.

My question is what's a reasonable starting point for negotiating the price of those accessories and the installation? Is dealer parts cost and paying the normal labor rate on the accessories too low? Dealer cost + 10%?

What about negotiating future service? Employee discount on service (does such a thing exist)? Dealer cost + 10% on parts + normal labor rate?

Now is the time that I have the most leverage, and I want to make the most of it...

Thanks for your insights.

We got them to squeeze in lifetime free oil changes, no charge gap insurance, and heavily discounted Ford ESP on my wife's '08, and that was also an XPlan purchase!. Granted, we have a lot of history with that dealer, but there are some good ones still out there. The big thing is getting to a fair price for anything beyond the car itself.

Cost plus 10% could work, but you have to wonder if that 10% will cover the labor cost on the install?

Good luck, and have fun with your CS!

Cost plus 10% could work, but you have to wonder if that 10% will cover the labor cost on the install?

I was thinking Cost + 10% for the parts + their normal labor rate. I just don't neccesarily want to get stuck paying MSRP on the parts.

I was thinking Cost + 10% for the parts + their normal labor rate. I just don't neccesarily want to get stuck paying MSRP on the parts.

I bought my 08 GT/CS at Xplan (factory ordered to my specs) got all rebates when it came in, and they also threw in the Ford Racing Stingers for free. I had no trade, and also was financed from my credit union coming in....there is a LOT of room to negotiate! (especially if you have multiple bids from competing Ford dealerships)

I just don't neccesarily want to get stuck paying MSRP on the parts.

Every dealer I purchased a new car from, has always offered a discount off parts and accessories. It wasn't something I even had to negotiate for, they just throw it in.

..., and also was financed from my credit union coming in....

I would think that that would be a minus, since the dealer probably isn't getting a "kick back" from your credit union like the do from their "normal" car loan source.

Well, the dealer called today and said they could order the Mustang... I sent them my list of add ons again, and said we'd need to discuss some prices (as stated earlier, I can't negotiate car price since it's X-Plan). Here's the list of add-ons:

Part Number.....Description............................ ...MSRP

M-1784-MS.......2005-08 Mustang C-Pillar Louvers.........189.00

M-2005-FR3......2005-08 Mustang GT Coupe Handling Pack..1335.00

M-5230-GTA......2005-08 Mustang GT Muffler Set...........325.00

M-5251-R........2005-08 Mustang GT X-Pipe................139.00

8R3Z-16A200-A ..Strut Tower Brace........................174.55

7R3Z-16A550-AA..GT500 Mud Flap (Rear) Right Side...........6.09

7R3Z-16A550-AB..GT500 Mud Flap (Rear) Left Side............6.06

They said they could deal on the last 3 items (they're regular Ford parts), but said I'd have to pay MSRP on the M- parts since the dealership isn't a Ford Racing dealer. Their shop person was out this afternoon, so no word yet on what installation costs would be.

Even though they are not a Ford Racing dealership, I would think they'd be able to get these parts cheaper than I could directly from FRPP.

I'm also assuming these parts will still fit the 2009 (considering the body style isn't changing)...

Comments, suggestions, ideas?