'95 XLT

694doorbird

Spotted a '95 Ranger supercab XLT at the local used car lot. Sign in the window said it has the 4.0. Two wheel drive, looks very clean with 135,000 miles. Anything special to pay attention to if I go look at it?

If it is a 5 speed, check the operation of the clutch. If possible when test driving, look for fluid under the truck when actuating clutch. The slave cylinder can leak after that many miles, and shouldn't be done without replacing the clutch, too. (and vice versa). This can be a $600-$700 job at an aftermarket mechanic.

Check for oil leaks, particularly around valve cover and/or rear diff.

Run fingers on outside and inside of brake rotor. Insides (in my experience) wear first

Check operation of emergency brake engage/release.

My Ranger (also a 4.0) can't seem to keep a themostat. This is the single most replaced part on my truck (3 times, but it's an easy job if you DIY). A cheap (enough) part, but I haven't tried an aftermarket version so it may be better.

I'm told these motors can be prone to lack of oil lubrication within the engine causing wear, but I've never had any consumption problems, so I can't comment on that.

You could also consult "therangerstation.com". They are a good source of info.

Edited by RangerM

I know what you mean by the slave clutch leaking. I'm on my second one with my '88 F-150 and 154,000 miles. It's starting to leak again.

This Ranger is an automatic. I prefer this as after 20 years (in July), I'm getting tired of driving a stick shift as my daily driver.

Thanks for the heads up on the ranger web site. I will be looking over their forum pages to gather more info.

I know what you mean by the slave clutch leaking. I'm on my second one with my '88 F-150 and 154,000 miles. It's starting to leak again.

This Ranger is an automatic. I prefer this as after 20 years (in July), I'm getting tired of driving a stick shift as my daily driver.

Thanks for the heads up on the ranger web site. I will be looking over their forum pages to gather more info.

Is the 4.0 any good? My neighbor has the 4.0 in her Explorer and the transmission went out at 54,000 miles. Maybe the older 4.0's are better then the current ones...

Is the 4.0 any good? My neighbor has the 4.0 in her Explorer and the transmission went out at 54,000 miles. Maybe the older 4.0's are better then the current ones...

A guy I work with has a 4.0 in is 97 Ranger. Said he has no trouble with it. Just does his regular maintainance. He said it has 113,000 miles on it. Another guy has a mid 90's explorer with a 4.0. He also says he has no trouble with his.

On another note: What type of gas milage could I expect with it. Engine is a 4.0, auto trans, 2WD, super cab.

Thanks,

A guy I work with has a 4.0 in is 97 Ranger. Said he has no trouble with it. Just does his regular maintainance. He said it has 113,000 miles on it. Another guy has a mid 90's explorer with a 4.0. He also says he has no trouble with his.

On another note: What type of gas milage could I expect with it. Engine is a 4.0, auto trans, 2WD, super cab.

Thanks,

I have 149K on my '93 4.0, which is the same OHV engine as in the '95 (I'm pretty sure). No major mechanical problems at all. This is what I have replaced on my truck since I picked it up with 7 miles on the ODO. You be the judge.

Valve cover gasket (85K; slight oil leak identified at Jiffy Lube; more of an annoyance than a problem at the time)

Water pump (85K; the dealer said it needed to be done when the valve cover gasket was being replaced. I never saw any leaking or heard noise, but did it anyway)

Drivers-side power window motor.

Some part (I don't remember) on the Cruise Control (must not have been major because it was less than $50)

Front disc brake rotors (at 130K)

Clutch plate/slave cylinder (at 142K)

Thermostat (I'm on the third one)

That's it, other than the regular oil/coolant changes, tires, a couple of light bulbs, brake pads, and wipers.

I have the same truck with a 5-sp. I never get below 20 (mixed driving) and can hit 24 on the hwy if I keep it below 70.

My father has a '94 3.0 with an AT, and he gets around 28 on the hwy.

Edited by RangerM