2002 cluster brake light

keepfocused

Hello, I just bought a used 2002 Ford Ranger fx4 offroad (awesome truck, Private sale). My cluster brake light doesn't light up when the car is started, or when you push the park brake in. I also noticed that at night when you turn the lights on, the fuel guage light doesn't illuminate as well. My question is "could it be a brake problem, or a fuse problem, or just a bulb problem"? I was wondering if anyone knows what this might be? Thank You

K.

Hello, I just bought a used 2002 Ford Ranger fx4 offroad (awesome truck, Private sale). My cluster brake light doesn't light up when the car is started, or when you push the park brake in. I also noticed that at night when you turn the lights on, the fuel guage light doesn't illuminate as well. My question is "could it be a brake problem, or a fuse problem, or just a bulb problem"? I was wondering if anyone knows what this might be? Thank You

K.

I can only tell you of my experience. In a 1993 Ranger the bulbs for these are separate. Since the two items you list would also be unrelated, I'm sure they are also separate bulbs. The entire cluster is on a single fuse (likely) so that would seem to not be the problem. Either the bulbs are burned out or have been shaken loose. (seems soon for a burned out bulb though. My first was dash bulb burned out after 13 years)

I have no experience with the model year you list, but it may not be a problem to replace the bulbs. The biggest potential hassle is the speedometer cable (unless the speedo is electronic as many have become). When you pull the cluster, you will need to feed some speedo cable up from below to allow you to disconnect it from the cluster, but on mine there was sufficient slack below to allow me to do this. Push it up through the floor from the outside underneath, but only after you have loosened the cluster from the dash. You shouldn't have to apply too much force to accomplish this.

Check therangerstation.com and there may be a pictoral.

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily, the truck's ICM bulbs are replaceable in 2002. The Ranger's speedo is electronic, so no worries of a speedo cable. In addition to removing the cluster, you will need to disconnect the shift indicator cable and the two connectors. Good luck!