Ford Oz lobbies execs

jpd80

Words - Mike Sinclair

From Carpoint.com.au

Ford Australia will show off its FG Falcon to FMC execs next month

Ford Australia has jumped onto the front foot to 'sell' its FG Falcon range inside the upper echelons of the Ford world.

Coming Down Under to drive the new FG Falcon range in early May is a delegation of senior Ford Motor Company execs, headed by Group Vice President, Global Product Development, Derrick Kuzak.

Along with Kuzak, the group will play a pivotal role in deciding the future of Ford's large car plans. In doing so, it could 'green light' the local arm to become the centre of excellence for Ford's rear-wheel-drive passenger car development.

New Ford Australia chief, Bill Osborne confirmed the delegation was on its way Down Under at last week's first drive of the FG Falcon. He said along with Kuzak the visitors would include: Group Vice President, Global Quality, Bennie Fowler; Vice President, Global Powertrain Engineering, Barb Samardzich, head of Global Product Planning Doug Szopo, and head of Ford Asia Pacific and Africa, John Parker.

According to Osborne, the "entire group will be here for some discussions and for a drive of the vehicle."

"We're going to be holding wide range discussions about a number of topics at both the regional level and for Australia," Osborne told the Carsales Network.

"I think it's an opportune time because a lot of [Ford] people will be interested in driving the vehicle. That's one of the things I think will be the highlight of the trip.

"The last vehicle that Derek [Kuzak] drove was a confirmation prototype, so I think he's anxious to see how production level vehicles are going to turn out," Osborne said.

The Ford Australia boss says the delegation will drive the new FG range at Ford's You Yangs proving ground on May 2. They will also drive "competitive product".

Despite what has been postulated elsewhere, the program is far from a 'final exam', the results of which Falcon and RWD development future hinge. However, Osborne admitted: "It will be a very important meeting for all of us.

"It's an evaluation of the products and long-term potential of the products. I think it's also an opportunity for us to discuss with them what we think are our important strategies for Australia going forward," Osborne explained.

"From my standpoint it's a great opportunity to have senior leadership here right at the launch of one of our most important products, and at a point in time when we're discussing future strategies... What's the best way for Ford to operate in Australia and how can we support global strategies," he opined.

Well, you never can tell what might happen.....

All we gotta do is get them in the seat, the car will do the rest.:)

Edited by jpd80

Well, you never can tell what might happen.....

All we gotta do is get them in the seat, the car will do the rest.:)

Well, not the first review like this. They've been going on for almost 15 years with a succession of FoA and NA management.

But the attention is great. I certainly don't expect any export program to NA from this, but there have to be some very meaty discussions on LHD for ROW to take over for the death of Panther. And also big discussions on PD workload and roles/responsibilities for any potential next-gen RWD platform.

Edited by Austin

I think it is sad that Ford has to sell a vehicle to itself. Plus...we already know that it is amazingly good...Big Al is importing one for himself.

Sales of the Falcon have been average to medicore in the downunder. While I haven't watched the new model's figures, it isn't going to set the world on fire. Appliance-like bodies only sell well if there is a Toyota badge on the front. Aussies have always had EXTREMELY understated styling and it simply doesn't match the tastes of Americans. Styling would need to be cranked up a few notches if it was imported here, otherwise it would be milquetoast here and another sales failure.

We can't just directly import the car here and expect it to sell well. That is why the leaked 2010 Taurus bothers me. While it's much better than the current one, it doesn't set the world on fire like it needs to. Ford needs a Chrysler 300 level of "newness" to be successful in their styling.

Well, not the first review like this. They've been going on for almost 15 years with a succession of FoA and NA management.

But the attention is great. I certainly don't expect any export program to NA from this, but there have to be some very meaty discussions on LHD for ROW to take over for the death of Panther. And also big discussions on PD workload and roles/responsibilities for any potential next-gen RWD platform.

Bill Osbourne has been rather expansive on his vision for Ford Australia, he's saying every vehicle

he produces needs to have a LHD companion for export to get his production numbers up.

C1 Focus Production starts in 2011 and Osbourne hinted at Kuga as well as LHD exports too!

I know he's looking at South Africa and UK for Falcon (RHD) but really wants Middle East and China (LHD).

Strong rumor: FoA wants Falcon based MKR for China - the front and rear clips are relatively easy to do....

Edited by jpd80

Sales of the Falcon have been average to medicore in the downunder. While I haven't watched the new model's figures, it isn't going to set the world on fire. Appliance-like bodies only sell well if there is a Toyota badge on the front. Aussies have always had EXTREMELY understated styling and it simply doesn't match the tastes of Americans. Styling would need to be cranked up a few notches if it was imported here, otherwise it would be milquetoast here and another sales failure.

We can't just directly import the car here and expect it to sell well. That is why the leaked 2010 Taurus bothers me. While it's much better than the current one, it doesn't set the world on fire like it needs to. Ford needs a Chrysler 300 level of "newness" to be successful in their styling.

Firstly, the new model isn't out until next month. Bill Osbourne is implimenting a turnaround plan

for Australia based on what was done in Canada - he and his team worked wonders there!!

Secondly, The article didn't say anything about US exports - they're after Rest of the World.

Thirdly, you contradict yourself, you say the Falcon is too milktoast for American tastes

yet 85% of US sales are to brands other than Ford. It is this playing to the limited tastes of

fans like yourself that is quick sand to Ford's market share, they need to attract new buyers.

Thirdly, the last thing Ford needs is Chrysler 300, the polarising style is a financial mirage.

At first successful, the market has now moved on and away from it!!

As fans, we all have a narrowed perspective of the perfect Ford vehicle, the truth is Ford needs

all the product base it can muster. With such a fragmented market nothing is a given anymore.

Bill Osbourne has been rather expansive on his vision for Ford Australia, he's saying every vehicle

he produces needs to have a LHD companion for export to get his production numbers up.

C1 Focus Production starts in 2011 and Osbourne hinted at Kuga as well as LHD exports too!

I know he's looking at South Africa and UK for Falcon (RHD) but really wants Middle East and China (LHD).

Strong rumor: FoA wants Falcon based MKR for China - the front and rear clips are relatively easy to do....

Bill's a good guy and being aggressive is a good thing; in the Ford system, if you don't push hard, you won't get anything. In particular, one of the traveling members is a bit of a "stick-in-the mud", so Bill might need some extra time to explain things to him.

I agree on Falcon LHD exports to ME and China, particularly with the Panther euthanization finally being within sight.

I'm a lot more skeptical on a "MKR" for China, but it's good to try out any and every idea. Maybe that particular idea won't stick, but might lead to another opportunity.

They need to take these guys out and have a good Aussie party to loosen them up a bit. They don't understand "work hard/play hard".

I've heard that the MKR has been approved in principle as a RWD sports sedan to slot between the MKZ and MKS as a direct Cadillac CTS competitor.

Obviously, any production model would be Falcon-based, in the GRWD sense... I had no idea the Australians wanted it for production.

I've heard that the MKR has been approved in principle as a RWD sports sedan to slot between the MKZ and MKS as a direct Cadillac CTS competitor.

Obviously, any production model would be Falcon-based, in the GRWD sense... I had no idea the Australians wanted it for production.

The MKR is a separate issue down the track - Dearborn wanting that tightly controlled.

FoA is pressing like crazy for GRWD lead and I sense things are moving quickly now that the FG is in production. It's their "audition demo" and Mulally/Kuzak are giving them the opportunity to do alittle end run around Detroit/Dearborn here and save the company a lot of time. They have a car the execs can get up close and personal with - a huge advantage over someone talking up a concept.

This won't be a fly drive holiday for over worked/under paid executives.... :stirpot:

Edited by jpd80