2009 Mariner Hybrid

stedios

I'm new to this forum but I've read some very useful threads already. Thank you (to the Community of Blue Oval)

On to the topic...

I saw and read the thread on the 2009 Escape and the "Ordering Guide", and I wanted to start a similar discussion (about releases) geared more towards the Mariner.

I have been seriously considering the 2008 Mariner Hybrid (4wd) lately, but I just caught wind of the new 2009 Escape/Mariner releases and I am willing to wait, for the most part.

Does anyone have information regarding the 2009 Mariner such as MSRP, date of availability, and what type of incentives dealers typically offer on new releases (or where to find them)? I haven't purchased a brand new car since my 2003 Mustang GT. I've peddled with "like new" Vehicles since... But I think I’m ready for a serious investment. As of right now, I spend nearly $300 traveling to work and getting around downtown in my 2004 Kia Sorrento EX. Therefore, I am considering the Hybrid with 4wd because of the heavy snow we get.

Also, what is the major difference between the Escape/Mariner? I boiled it down to the fact that I think the Mariner looks more luxurious rather than sporty. I’m a young 24 year old real estate professional, so I think the Mariner is more appropriate for me and my line of work. Plus I’m classy, not flashy, I guess…

Lastly, How well does a Hybrid Mariner/Escape handle in serious snow? I live in Edinboro, PA and we get, to say the least, allot of snow.

Note: I am asking about the Hybrid when I mentioned either vehicle earlier in this post.

I’d appreciate any help on any of these points!

- stedios

I purchased the 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid AWD over a year ago and have 16000 miles on it. I get 25 to 32 mpg with it, depending on temperature and the type of road. The Mariner is a bit more stylish and quiet than the Escape and has cornering lights; otherwise the two are identical. The 2009 Mariner and Escape Hybrids will get stability control. That feature seems to be more important to some, but not for me--I simply replaced the Continental Eco Plus stock tires with Pirelli Scorpion ATR's and I get all the traction I need.

I'm new to this forum but I've read some very useful threads already. Thank you (to the Community of Blue Oval)

On to the topic...

I saw and read the thread on the 2009 Escape and the "Ordering Guide", and I wanted to start a similar discussion (about releases) geared more towards the Mariner.

I have been seriously considering the 2008 Mariner Hybrid (4wd) lately, but I just caught wind of the new 2009 Escape/Mariner releases and I am willing to wait, for the most part.

Does anyone have information regarding the 2009 Mariner such as MSRP, date of availability, and what type of incentives dealers typically offer on new releases (or where to find them)? I haven't purchased a brand new car since my 2003 Mustang GT. I've peddled with "like new" Vehicles since... But I think I’m ready for a serious investment. As of right now, I spend nearly $300 traveling to work and getting around downtown in my 2004 Kia Sorrento EX. Therefore, I am considering the Hybrid with 4wd because of the heavy snow we get.

Also, what is the major difference between the Escape/Mariner? I boiled it down to the fact that I think the Mariner looks more luxurious rather than sporty. I’m a young 24 year old real estate professional, so I think the Mariner is more appropriate for me and my line of work. Plus I’m classy, not flashy, I guess…

Lastly, How well does a Hybrid Mariner/Escape handle in serious snow? I live in Edinboro, PA and we get, to say the least, allot of snow.

Note: I am asking about the Hybrid when I mentioned either vehicle earlier in this post.

- stedios

Edited by Transpower

I purchased the 2008 Mercury Mariner AWD over a year ago and have 16000 miles on it. I get 25 to 32 mpg with it, depending on temperature and the type of road. The Mariner is a bit more stylish and quiet than the Escape and has cornering lights; otherwise the two are identical. The 2009 Mariner and Escape Hybrids will get stability control. That feature seems to be more important to some, but not for me--I simply replaced the Continental Eco Plus stock tires with Pirelli Scorpion ATR's and I get all the traction I need.

Do you have the hybrid or regular Mariner? Thanks.

Thanks for the information. I greatly appreciate it.

Any other comments from others?

It has been documented the FWD FEH/MMH handles snow very well and the AWD has great reviews as one of the best vehicles people have driven in snow. The minimum ground clearance is higher than even the gas versions of the Escape.

The MMH has a classier look, but the FEH has much higher sales numbers and a higher resale value. The '09 FEH/MMH has many new mods including a new larger more FE 2.5L engine, new exhaust system, thicker glass for sound, capless fuel filler, new low roll resistant Michelin tires, and much more. Ford had to drop the rear disc brakes in the '09's to get stability control in the hybrids. Ford has changed it 02 sensors to a improve sensor I'm hoping will adjust gas and ethanol changes much better for fuel economy. The 110V outlet and many other things are now standard equipment on the '09 FEH and most likely on the MMH. One change Ford is making but I have no confirmation on the '09 FEH/MMH, is a much better voltage converter called a Variable Voltage Converter (VVC) that can increase EV speed and distance. Toyota is now using a similar converter called a Buck-Boost Converter since 2004. The aux HV battery A/C could be eliminated because the VVC reduces heat much better.

I use a Visteon HD Jump AM/FM tuner which has a home cradle that plugs in to my home 7.1 surround sound home theater receiver. The new Nav System and other Escapes now have radios that have a external input plug to the radio and the speaker system. One reason I ordered the Nav System is, it comes with a great sounding 7 speaker and sub-woofer. This will allow me to use my HD Jump Car Cradle to move my HD tuner from my home to my '09 FEH. HD radio is free and now broadcast by many radio stations in my area. It makes AM channels sound like FM quality sound and FM has CD quality sound. Hands free cell phones can also be added in '09.

The new rear stabilizer bar and suspension tuning, thicker windows and other sound damping, and new Michelin tires should make a nice overall improvement in ride over older models.

GaryG

It has been documented the FWD FEH/MMH handles snow very well and the AWD has great reviews as one of the best vehicles people have driven in snow. The minimum ground clearance is higher than even the gas versions of the Escape.

The MMH has a classier look, but the FEH has much higher sales numbers and a higher resale value. The '09 FEH/MMH has many new mods including a new larger more FE 2.5L engine, new exhaust system, thicker glass for sound, capless fuel filler, new low roll resistant Michelin tires, and much more. Ford had to drop the rear disc brakes in the '09's to get stability control in the hybrids. Ford has changed it 02 sensors to a improve sensor I'm hoping will adjust gas and ethanol changes much better for fuel economy. The 110V outlet and many other things are now standard equipment on the '09 FEH and most likely on the MMH. One change Ford is making but I have no confirmation on the '09 FEH/MMH, is a much better voltage converter called a Variable Voltage Converter (VVC) that can increase EV speed and distance. Toyota is now using a similar converter called a Buck-Boost Converter since 2004. The aux HV battery A/C could be eliminated because the VVC reduces heat much better.

I use a Visteon HD Jump AM/FM tuner which has a home cradle that plugs in to my home 7.1 surround sound home theater receiver. The new Nav System and other Escapes now have radios that have a external input plug to the radio and the speaker system. One reason I ordered the Nav System is, it comes with a great sounding 7 speaker and sub-woofer. This will allow me to use my HD Jump Car Cradle to move my HD tuner from my home to my '09 FEH. HD radio is free and now broadcast by many radio stations in my area. It makes AM channels sound like FM quality sound and FM has CD quality sound. Hands free cell phones can also be added in '09.

The new rear stabilizer bar and suspension tuning, thicker windows and other sound damping, and new Michelin tires should make a nice overall improvement in ride over older models.

GaryG

Gary,

I appreciate your posts (both here and on GH). I will be ordering mine in the next few weeks and the only thing I am debating on now is FWD vs AWD. Most likely will go with FWD because we really don't get that much inclement weather in KY and I don't do any off road activity.

Gary,

I appreciate your posts (both here and on GH). I will be ordering mine in the next few weeks and the only thing I am debating on now is FWD vs AWD. Most likely will go with FWD because we really don't get that much inclement weather in KY and I don't do any off road activity.

The AWD FEH/MMH is a fantastic SUV if you need AWD. The FWD is an even more fantastic SUV because of its gas mileage. If you can do without AWD, I strongly suggest you go with the FWD to be greener, save gas money and go longer between fill-ups. The tax deduction is higher on the less expensive SUV, and you can choose to add other options with those saving that you may want and use more often.

I'm so glad I ordered a FWD FEH even though I had the money to add the AWD option back in '05. The extra drag with the AWD is documented on the sticker with the EPA rating. The extra drag effects EV driving speeds and distances where the savings really makes the difference.

The AWD FEH/MMH is by far the best SUV 4WD if you are concerned about gas mileage and need that capability. Ford has taken the World SUV markets with both FEH/MMH drivetrains. Toyota's Highlander misses the market with no off-road, lower MPG and higher cost. The Prius is the king in that market, and I plan to get my wife the 2010 model around March of '09. There will be some big MPG improvements in the 2010 Prius, so my wife and I will drive both the '05 and '09 FEH to save gas till it's available.

GaryG

Great to hear, thank you all!

I went to the local Ford/ Mercury dealer today, and to my surprise (kinda), they had almost no clue about the 2009 models... I knew more then them.

Anyways, once they saw the info was available in their system, they told me I could start ordering May 15th, 2008 and get one by Mid August (or so). What I did find disturbing is that "They had no clue" what the price would be or what it 'could' be. Does this sound right??

I'm going to order a $35000+ vehicle and they can't tell me a price? and I have to wait 2-3 months...

Any insight, exerienced fellows?

I went to the local Ford/ Mercury dealer today, and to my surprise (kinda), they had almost no clue about the 2009 models... I knew more then them.

Anyways, once they saw the info was available in their system, they told me I could start ordering May 15th, 2008 and get one by Mid August (or so). What I did find disturbing is that "They had no clue" what the price would be or what it 'could' be. Does this sound right??

I'm going to order a $35000+ vehicle and they can't tell me a price? and I have to wait 2-3 months...

Hey stedios, you do know Ford is coming out with a Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan hybrid to be released in 2009... Im sure the Milan Hybrid would do better on gas than the Mariner Hybrid...

Stedios, I don't know anything about ordering a MMH, but I have a price and order at MSRP of $33,725 for a FWD Limited FEH with Nav. from two dealerships. A person on another forum said the same thing as you about some dealers they went too. I ask my auto broker to check on selling the FEH through his dealership connection for other members of forums I'm a member, and have that vehicle drop shipped to their local dealer. He got on the phone to the fleet manager and should have an answer this week. I'm sure he deals with Mercury also and can run down the scoop on ordering a MMH. In order to have a unit drop shipped, the deal would be though the dealer my broker uses, and I would recommend the cost of delivery at your local dealership be part of the total cost so there is no extra charges. The fees my broker gets is part of the price or MSRP price, and not an add on after. It sounds like the dealers your going too don't have alloted units to sell before the market is open to them. None of the dealers know when units will arrive at this point after a order is placed.

GaryG

Ok,

If you hear anything about MSRP for a fully loaded MMH, I'd appreciate an update!

I just 'sort of' feel uncomfortable not knowing the exact price... Sure, they say it should be a few hundred bucks within the current 2008 MSRP, but what happens when it comes in at nearly $2,000 over... I won't be happy. haha.

On a side note,

I have a 2004 Kia Sorrento EX 4X4, fully loaded, beautiful vehicle. Do you think it would be to my advantage to act as if I'm wanting to trade it on a 2008 MMH that I want to by now, and then after I get an appraisal mention that I want to order a 2009 and try to keep them to the appraisal value? I think (I know...) that if I let them know I want to wait until August for a 2009 that they'll give me less, as the vehicle will be worth less, technically, in August. But, I am ordering it NOW and am expected to wait and pay for it to arrive... I sort of feel as if I would deserve the value price today, rather than in the future since i'm forced to wait, not know the exact price, or even know when it will be deliverd.

I sort of feel this is my incentive for having to wait, and take the risk of ordering an unknown product...

Anyone agree or disagree on this feeling?

I haven't owned a Ford in 3-4 years, i'm allowing them to redeem themselves :0 , so I want to make sure I do this right and walk away pleased as i'm sure the vehicle itself will be pleasing.

Edited by stedios

Ok,

If you hear anything about MSRP for a fully loaded MMH, I'd appreciate an update!

I just 'sort of' feel uncomfortable not knowing the exact price... Sure, they say it should be a few hundred bucks within the current 2008 MSRP, but what happens when it comes in at nearly $2,000 over... I won't be happy. haha.

On a side note,

I have a 2004 Kia Sorrento EX 4X4, fully loaded, beautiful vehicle. Do you think it would be to my advantage to act as if I'm wanting to trade it on a 2008 MMH that I want to by now, and then after I get an appraisal mention that I want to order a 2009 and try to keep them to the appraisal value? I think (I know...) that if I let them know I want to wait until August for a 2009 that they'll give me less, as the vehicle will be worth less, technically, in August. But, I am ordering it NOW and am expected to wait and pay for it to arrive... I sort of feel as if I would deserve the value price today, rather than in the future since i'm forced to wait, not know the exact price, or even know when it will be deliverd.

I sort of feel this is my incentive for having to wait, and take the risk of ordering an unknown product...

Anyone agree or disagree on this feeling?

I haven't owned a Ford in 3-4 years, i'm allowing them to redeem themselves :0 , so I want to make sure I do this right and walk away pleased as i'm sure the vehicle itself will be pleasing.

Did you see my reply about milan hybrid?

Has that been confirmed? :headscratch:

Hi Walt

Here's what I've found so far about the change back to the rear drum brakes. This began with my post on Hybridcars.com:

"The ordering guide said the Escape comes with disc brakes in the front and drum brakes in the rear. Nothing about the Hybrid rear disc brakes. I hope they didn't change that on the '09 FEH/MMH because of all the noise problems people were having."

0T7 responded:

2009 Escape Hybrid will use rear drum brakes.

Rear drums are more compatible with roll stability control,

said Ford safety spofesman Wes Sherwood.

Source 2008 2009 Escape rear drums.

AUTO LETTERS by Jim Mateja.

Chicago Tribune Transportation section Sunday, April 27 2008.

I then copied and pasted the question and answer from the Chicago Tribune:

Q: Any explanation why Ford put drum brakes on the rear wheels of the Escape? Was that one of Ford's "better ideas?"

—I.C., Willowbrook

A: Yes it was. Ford switched from rear disc brakes to drums on 2008 gas-powered Escapes because rear drums are more compatible with roll stability control, said Ford safety spokesman Wes Sherwood. Ford 2009 hybrid Escapes will use rear drums as well to accommodate roll stability control.

As you can see Walt, it started with me noticing on page 4 "2009 Escape & Escape Hybrid Standard Equipment" in the '09 Ordering Guide posted by ICE - Power front disc rear 10" drum brakes. When 0T7 responded with the quote in the Chicago Tribune, I assumed the ordering guide didn't have a misprint.

GaryG

Escapes/Mariners with rear drum brakes have gotten very poor reviews. I'm happy with the rear disc brakes on my 2008 Mariner Hybrid AWD...so the switch in 2009 to rear drum brakes is not an advance (even if it's required with the stability control for the Hybrid) in my opinion.

Hi Walt

Here's what I've found so far about the change back to the rear drum brakes. This began with my post on Hybridcars.com:

"The ordering guide said the Escape comes with disc brakes in the front and drum brakes in the rear. Nothing about the Hybrid rear disc brakes. I hope they didn't change that on the '09 FEH/MMH because of all the noise problems people were having."

0T7 responded:

2009 Escape Hybrid will use rear drum brakes.

Rear drums are more compatible with roll stability control,

said Ford safety spofesman Wes Sherwood.

Source 2008 2009 Escape rear drums.

AUTO LETTERS by Jim Mateja.

Chicago Tribune Transportation section Sunday, April 27 2008.

I then copied and pasted the question and answer from the Chicago Tribune:

Q: Any explanation why Ford put drum brakes on the rear wheels of the Escape? Was that one of Ford's "better ideas?"

—I.C., Willowbrook

A: Yes it was. Ford switched from rear disc brakes to drums on 2008 gas-powered Escapes because rear drums are more compatible with roll stability control, said Ford safety spokesman Wes Sherwood. Ford 2009 hybrid Escapes will use rear drums as well to accommodate roll stability control.

As you can see Walt, it started with me noticing on page 4 "2009 Escape & Escape Hybrid Standard Equipment" in the '09 Ordering Guide posted by ICE - Power front disc rear 10" drum brakes. When 0T7 responded with the quote in the Chicago Tribune, I assumed the ordering guide didn't have a misprint.

GaryG

Weighing in the facts of a 2008 or 2009,

Is it worth the wait? Or do you think it's better to take the vehicle now with some discounts?

The main features I like on the 09 is the improved HP, Stability Control, and the apparently "smoother" transition from Electric to Gas.

Thoughts?

and if I did go with an '08, how would I bargain? Other than the fact it's going to be "a year old" within months and the lack of changes.

I just called a different dealer, out of my area, and they are working on a price for a 2009 MMH. Apparently you can get the price, if you know who to talk to...

I will update this thread when I get the info, in case anyone else needs it.

Update: Fully loaded 09 comes to over $39,000, but the sales person says he may have doubled coutned some featurs that come with the premier package, so it will be less. I'll get the exact numbers soon!

Edited by stedios

• 2 weeks later...

On to the topic...

- stedios

I live in Butler--about 55 miles south of you. The Escape handles well in snow but I recommend you use different tires in winter. I used Goodyear Triple Tread tires with excellent results, even climbed a long unplowed snow covered road leading to Crystal Mountain ski area with no trouble. However the current stock Continental EcoPlus tires provide improved fuel economy but they are not as good in snow conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I just ordered mine on the 30th. It is a Brilliant Silver FWD MMH. It has the premium package, moonroof, and the optional 12 spoke machined alloy wheels. The MSRP is $33.835, invoice 31,694.84, and X-Plan is 31,643.06.

RETAIL DLR INV RETAIL DLR INV

U29 MAR HYBRID FWD $28750 $26668.00 FRT LICENSE BKT NC NC

.103" WHEELBASE 18P PREMIUM PKG 3595 3056.00

UI BRILLIANT SILVR .AMBIENT LIGHTS

8 LEATHER BUCKETS .MIR PWR HEAT

S STONE .HEATED SEATS

500A ORDER CODE

.LEATH STEER WHL TOTAL BASE AND OPTIONS 33835 31694.84

.SYNC TOTAL 33835 31694.84

.AUTO HEADLAMPS

.PWR DRIVER SEAT

.PRIVACY GLASS X PLAN 31643.06