Unqualified Persons

Flyin Pig

The State of Michigan DOES.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(lcncjjurk...me=mcl-338-886a

All of the electricians at Monroe ACH were encouraged to seek licensure back in 2002. By 2004, the State of Michigan began adopting a way for the old-timers to take the state Journeyman exam WITHOUT being registered apprentices. As the years passed, so did the time requirements for registration of apprenticeship.

Presently, one MUST be a registered Apprentice for 4 years and have logged (documented) some 8000 hours of experience (among other requirements).

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(lcncjjurk...me=mcl-338-883d

Many of the old timers that I'd talked to who didn't get licensed, didn't because they were looking at retirement by the time they'd thought the plant would be closing. And of course, many are.

This causes a bit of a problem... I see some on the list to move have jumped on the bandwagon to flowback ahead of our qualified bretheren. Some of these guys were NOT electricians in the first place.

Either way, the State of Michigan has set the precedence and can offer penalties for violating this Act.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(lcncjjurk...ame=mcl-338-890

With all of the flowback riggamorole, its still most important that we remain safe in our new job and new duties.

This causes a bit of a problem... I see some on the list to move have jumped on the bandwagon to flowback ahead of our qualified bretheren.

Some of those Welder Repairman were not even Electricians when they hired in, using falsified documents to obtain employment.

Good luck to the Electricians at AAI. You are receiving three Electricians from Monroe that are not truly Electricians. One of which should have been blackballed from the Union years ago for lying about what a supervisor said to a fellow Union brother, protecting said supervisor from disciplinary action just to secure overtime. Look out. He will either stab you in the back or sucker punch you if he doesn't get his way. Just ask his wife. ;)

..using falsified documents to obtain employment...

Our committeeman IS aware and looking into this, Pio. His is prepared to receive statements from all members involved.

Another concern is that the company may be in violation of State law...it needs to be nipped at the bud before it gets too far gone. :redcard:

:banghead:

Our committeeman IS aware and looking into this, Pio. :banghead: His is prepared to receive statements from all members involved.

Another concern is that the company may be in violation of State law...it needs to be nipped at the bud before it gets too far gone. :redcard:

shit!

Some of those Welder Repairman were not even Electricians when they hired in, using falsified documents to obtain employment.

Good luck to the Electricians at AAI. You are receiving three Electricians from Monroe that are not truly Electricians. One of which should have been blackballed from the Union years ago for lying about what a supervisor said to a fellow Union brother, protecting said supervisor from disciplinary action just to secure overtime. Look out. He will either stab you in the back or sucker punch you if he doesn't get his way. Just ask his wife. ;)

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

SO true.

:stirpot:

Our committeeman IS aware and looking into this, Pio. His is prepared to receive statements from all members involved.

First of all, please accept my apology for my ignorance.

This matter has nothing to do with our Union or the contract.

At our plant (Pilot Plant, very small) we had the same issus with licenses being required. We sent only 3 people to take a couorse on taking the state exam, that is all that wanted to go. We already had some of our guys that had thier state license. We got sucked into the big push due to the fact that we were close to Locals 245 and 600, which are almost all in Dearborn. We are in Allen Park. Then all the sudden the push fell off he table. Some still pushed for it and now with all the buyouts and retirements, we have all but one who has his license. WE are only 8 electricians strong though. We even had one who pursued it even further and just passed his masters exam. I don't believe that you should be required to take the test if you don't want. Thre are some people who just do not take tests very well. And the license does not make you a better electrician. But if you have any means at all to study for it and take it I would suggest you do. And even if you don't think it is for you at least go and get your apprentice permit. There are ratios of journeymen to apprentices, and if the state ever gets thier way and starts poking around in our plants (city's actually) all would be legal. I heard Dearborn have been doing card checks for awhile now.

I whole heartedly agree skit, that the state exam, as it is right now is somewhat of a joke. I took a course on how to take the exam. I don't believe one could pass it with just that course. One would have to know basic electricity on MANY levels, also.

That said, there are some on the flowback list that were 'pooled' in with electricians... with little more experience than changing lamps and making extension cords. I care that they would risk their own lives just to get into a Ford plant sooner... but what really jerks my chain is the fact that they have no regard for perhaps getting others hurt or dead while they try to learn a craft that I'm continuing to learn even after ten years!

The system is in place for the safety of us all. I feel partly responsible for my fellow coworkers. And I must be totally responsible for myself.

Thanks for your input, skit.

If I am not mistaken, each Electrician must be either label'd as a Journeyman or Apprentice with the state. The push for getting the license never got us anything out of the company, as it was portrayed in a future contract. You can still be an Electrician with Ford, but not recognized with the state as a Journeyman, just as an apprentice.

If I am not mistaken, each Electrician must be either label'd as a Journeyman or Apprentice with the state. The push for getting the license never got us anything out of the company, as it was portrayed in a future contract. You can still be an Electrician with Ford, but not recognized with the state as a Journeyman, just as an apprentice.

that ain't right.

According to the state of michigan you do not need a licence to work on production related machinery. However you must have a state journeyman license to perform any work on facility items. Anyone caught working on facility ralated items without a license can be reported to the state of michigan. The state requires the name of the violator and a contact number. The state will then contact the violator. This is a civil violation, punishable by a fine of not less than $1000.00 per day for each day the violation occurs except that a fine shall not exceed $5000.00 in total per violation. A second or subsequent violation is punishable by a fine of not less than $2000.00 per day for each day the violation occurs except that the fine shall not exceed $10,000.00 in total per violation.

Your welcome flyinpig.

that ain't right.

According to the state of michigan you do not need a licence to work on production related machinery. However you must have a state journeyman license to perform any work on facility items. Anyone caught working on facility ralated items without a license can be reported to the state of michigan. The state requires the name of the violator and a contact number. The state will then contact the violator. This is a civil violation, punishable by a fine of not less than $1000.00 per day for each day the violation occurs except that a fine shall not exceed $5000.00 in total per violation. A second or subsequent violation is punishable by a fine of not less than $2000.00 per day for each day the violation occurs except that the fine shall not exceed $10,000.00 in total per violation.

Your welcome flyinpig.

And here is your contact in Lansing

Dan O'Donnell

Bureau of Construction Codes

PO Box 30255

Lansing, Michigan 48909

(517)241-9320

and he don't mess around.

And here is your contact in Lansing

Dan O'Donnell

Bureau of Construction Codes

PO Box 30255

Lansing, Michigan 48909

(517)241-9320

and he don't mess around.

Wow!

I really appreciate that Seth. Maybe if we just post that info, it'll detour most of the offenders.

In Minnesota you need to be a licensed electrician or get your license after you finish your apprenticeship and it is a real bear to pass. Many of our electrics have their Masters as well.

Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Stationary Steam engineers also need to be licensed.

Wow!

I really appreciate that Seth. Maybe if we just post that info, it'll detour most of the offenders.

Here's the deal Pig,

No messin with the old timers. the ones that taught you and me. Our mission here is to keep the plant safe.

In Minnesota you need to be a licensed electrician or get your license after you finish your apprenticeship and it is a real bear to pass. Many of our electrics have their Masters as well.

Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Stationary Steam engineers also need to be licensed.

yeah. the state tried to grandfather in the old guys while the new ones were comin up. but some didn't expect to be movin so soon. People jumpin on the list who don't belong is no damn good though. And the unions hands are pretty much tied. I'm hopin we could knock this down ourselves.

They'll have to take advantage of it if its gonna work, Seth.

That IS good news, however!

It all fell apart because there was no money to pay for it. People at my plant waited months before getting paid. I think some was paid out of Local nickel, because the company would not pay for it out of local training money. This is the reason the whole licensing fell off the table. I don't see Pipefitters/plumbers doing it either. The company will get a few trained and that will be the end of it. The state just wants more money....another way to steal it from the automakers!!

OK... here's a link for those of you who are unregistered electricians in Michigan.

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-...45899--,00.html

Of course, you'll have to get with the Master Electrician on file at your plant. This will get you legal.

Also, for those of you licensed in another state and moving to Michigan, you can qualify to take the Michigan State exam as long as the licensing requirements are similar. If you're not licensed, you're still able to present evidence of your experience to the Board to get permission to take the exam.

If your planning to test in Michigan, contact me here and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction so you can PASS this test.

Like Cap723 said earlier in this thread, the company let their end slide off the table. This means YOU remain solely responsible for YOUR licensure.

Also, for those of you licensed in another state and moving to Michigan, you can qualify to take the Michigan State exam as long as the licensing requirements are similar. If you're not licensed, you're still able to present evidence of your experience to the Board to get permission to take the exam.

If your planning to test in Michigan, contact me here and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction so you can PASS this test.

Like Cap723 said earlier in this thread, the company let their end slide off the table. This means YOU remain solely responsible for YOUR licensure.

Good job pig. You sending them to uncle chuck?