OAC What do you think about this Contract?

Gin@Juice

Well, I just attended the meet in Hamilton and I just like to say after being presented the Perfect Storm explanation of the times we are in, the agreement is the best strategy we can hope for I believe. I have one thing to say about the majority of the membership at the meeting. They are exactly what the Media portrays us as. No, real need to explain that, you know what I mean. I am ashamed to call myself a member of Local 707. Members rolling the dice and saying no to this agreement are going to get Snake Eyes this September. Those who want commitment on future products, with a no vote on this, good luck. I'll say my good-byes to you now, don't say I didn't warn you. Hope you find a job that pays half as well and have half of the Benefits of what was offered in this agreement. You all need a good smack. Reality check people!!!! Wake to FUCK UP!

Ed.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who would say no to this agreement simply don't understand the business realities that Ford is facing, particularly in Canada. And you can't have a new product unless there is a market for it.

This agreement is designed to not only recognize the business reality that Ford faces..........it is also designed to face the undeniable fact that the huge increase in the Canadian dollar and the "get Everything from China or Korea" syndrome has fatally doomed Canadian manufacturing. The decline in manufacturing activing in Canada - particularly Ontario - has been underway for a few years but is now showing increasing momentum on the downside. One can say it's Government driven..........but it's the average citizen (including autoworkers) that keep buying "Made in China" products because they are cheaper. Almost EVERYTHING come sfrom China nowadays.

So any agreement that the CAW can make to buy more time is, in my view, a good agreement. One must recognize the high cost of doing business in Canada by giving back some of what was gained when it was cheap to do business in Canada. And this agreement contains very modest givebacks given the serious economic climate Ontario (and its manufacturing base) is facing.

Wow, I was at Hamilton Place for the ratification meeting also. From the sounds of the discontent from my brothers and sisters I wouldn't be surprised at an 85% NO vote. The people I spoke to at work and in Hamilton were mainly pissed about the Local Agreement, and the fact that we had to hear most of the ecconomic package from the media.

Outsourcing jobs in Oakville does not help any of us, senior and junior people alike were saying this. The fact that the local in the best position could not hold on to jobs pissed them off, and some were saying why was their no letter protecting STAP workers if things don't go good in 2011. They should have the right to come to Oakville if it all goes to pot and they don't get a hybrid drive train, but instead this agreement left them out on the street. I don't care man Oakville with TPT's untill 2011, give these guys an option to go to.

Oh, but I did find out that it was not Ken Hogarth that said no in Toronto, it was a woman from Trim......WHAT HAPPEND TO THE LEGEND !!!

Rod Thorne the retired time study from 707 came out and promised the bargaining committee that he would be looking into legal action against the union for signing a letter that they would presue avenues to reduce retirees benefits or something like that. WTF?

Then I heard some other guy yelling about getting the RCMP involved as he believed the vote counting could be tampered with?

It was getting pretty wild that was for sure, Booos all around for McColeman and the guys. I was waiting for the tear gas to start...... It was the worst ratification meeting I ever went to as far as not being happy with the content.

Time will tell Windsor and St.Thomas to vote next !!!

Edited by Thinkaboutit

Thanks for the info, was it well attended?

YES! The hall was full, holds about 1500 ppl. alto of retires. I left right after Buzz SPOKE he was their as well as Stafford the economist, it's a first, Pushing this hard on STAP IMO. Wasn't there for the discussion portion so hope someone will fill me in on the rest.

YES! The hall was full, holds about 1500 ppl. alto of retires. I left right after Buzz SPOKE he was their as well as Stafford the economist, it's a first, Pushing this hard on STAP IMO. Wasn't there for the discussion portion so hope someone will fill me in on the rest.

well ?

well ?

Well, Buzz and the crew bugged out shortly into question period. STAP's plant chair did get some tough questions and the leaderships credibility was questioned a couple times (eg. 2005 ratification meeting). But, as usual some of the party faithful were throwing looks etc. The only info in question period was some alleged letter or thought of a letter giving STAP and Windsor members first right to new Oakville jobs.