Satellite Radio - Ford of Canada

iluvnascar

Way behind the competition (again)..........

I was looking to trade my Lincoln LS on a Ford Five Hundred......until I realized it didn't have satellite radio and, even worse, it sports the old fixed mast antenna! How can a "newer" Ford product - supposedly its "flagship" family sedan - still carry an antenna????

So after listening to my neighbour's XM Satellite Radio and Bose stereo system (GM factory installation), I did some comparing....looking at the Dodge Charger and the Chevy Impala.........both pretty nice vehicles:

Chevy Impala: AM/FM/Satellite-ready, clock, seek-scan, in-dash mounted single CD, MP3 capability, 6 speakers, automatic equalizer, TheftLock theft deterrent, window grid antenna, radio steering wheel controls

Dodge Charger: AM/FM/Satellite-ready, clock, seek-scan, in-dash mounted single CD, 4 speakers, window grid antenna

Ford 500 (Limited): AM/FM stereo, seek-scan, in-dash mounted 6-disc CD changer, MP3 capability, 7 brand speakers, amplifier, fixed antenna, radio steering wheel controls

Available on Impala: 8 Bose speakers, amplifier, automatic equalizer, theft deterrent, radio steering wheel controls; XM AM/FM/Satellite, seek-scan, in-dash mounted single CD, MP3 capability

Available on Charger: AM/FM/Satellite-ready, seek-scan, cassette, in-dash mounted 6-disc CD changer, MP3 capability, 6 Boston Acoustics speakers; amplifier

Whay can't we do something BETTER than the competition....just once????? Because I'm being driven from my Lincoln LS into a competitor's product......only because the LS is disappearing and there is no comparable replacement for many months.........

I have had other Ford Products-2 Windstars before getting my 2006 Montego Premier.

Interesting what the Montego did not come with!!

No glove box light

While car comes with Auto Dimming rear view mirror Windstar had on off switch

No directional signal in side mirrors

Tire sensors to detect loss of airpressure

But Ford was generous to me

FREE they provided me a vehicle that since October 2006:

ABS sensor was disconnected

Airbag warning light comes on randomly they cant find problem

Front brackets/springs needed replacement

Rattle in vehicle that cant be found

Brakes grind after being left overnight

Front seat leather ripples even after being replaced

GPS cant find addresses even after showing them as destination

unless you actually plan to subscribe to satellite radio, its a non-issue.

Satellite radio has only been available in Canada for 6 months. Most peple are not sold on it yet. Hell, Americans arent sold on it yet and theyve had it for 10 years.

So please explain why they should put it in every car just so a couple of hundred people can subscribe?

unless you actually plan to subscribe to satellite radio, its a non-issue.

Satellite radio has only been available in Canada for 6 months. Most peple are not sold on it yet. Hell, Americans arent sold on it yet and theyve had it for 10 years.

So please explain why they should put it in every car just so a couple of hundred people can subscribe?

That's an easy one......and yes, I certainly plan to subscribe.

First reason it needs to be available...........because the competition has it available. And in many cases, RIGHT NOW!

Second reason........Ford can make money on it. The vehicles are sold "Satellite-Radio Ready".....and then if a customer wants to order the satellite radio (installed) from Ford it's an added-cost option ($375 on the Dodge Charger as I recall). In addition, Sirius will pay (as I understand it) a royalty to Ford for every unit sold.

Third reason.....satellite radio is the latest trend..........just like satellite TV; and MP3 players; and wireless phones; and so on. Ford undoubtedly will make their vehicles satellite-ready....the question is WHEN? And why does Ford always have to be trying to keep up instead of leading the way?

I think the 500 was shot of the starting gates with "bare" minimal options. Basically getting the design on the streets before it had the new 6 speed, 3.5L engine ready. I'd say the radio is probably the same story. I'd expect when they announce the 3.5 availability, it'll have some other new updates like the radio and Siruis capable. Something along the lines of the Zephyr/MKZ update coming shortly.

Until then,...