Fewer Mercurys in the future

I just read in Motor Trend (while waiting for an appointment) that the replacment for the Mariner (based on the next generation Ford) will be a Lincoln.

Also, the MKZ is moving down market and that there will be no new Sable.

Remember, the Comet was to be a

before being introduced as an independent make.

Edited by LM4EVR

I just read in Motor Trend (while waiting for an appointment) that the replacment for the Mariner (based on the next generation Ford) will be a Lincoln.

Also, the MKZ is moving down market and that there will be no new Sable.

Remember, the Comet was to be a

before being introduced as an independent make.

Where is this article? usually MT is full of S.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you were going to dump the Sable and Mariner, plus Grand Marquis, why would you introduce a new "small" Mercury? :wacko: I can't see the Mariner going to Lincoln, it's just not big enough to rate "luxury". The MKZ cannot take the place of the Milan. I BEG for Ford to look at Chrysler. Remember when Chryslers were nearly luxury cars and Plymouths were for working folks? Chrysler drops Plymouth thinking they can simply move Chrysler's down market to feel the gap, 15 years later, literally NOBODY considers Chryslers anything like luxury cars. Now, nobody thinks Mercurys are luxury cars, many people consider them Fords with different grilles. But on Lincoln Mercury only lots, they give dealers a line of cars that clearly do not target Lincoln buyers, without sullying the Lincoln name.

I was concerned that this would at one time be a truthful article, but given the recent news of new Mercury models, I think Mercury will hang around for a while longer, and yes, MT is not only notoriously unreliable, they have screamed that Mercury was at death's door for about 15 years and now have a vested interest in making it come true. I happen to read MT, so if we can learn the issue, or even what was the cover story, I could always check.