Build and Price

4d2

When is Ford going to allow a person to build and price a 2009 Excape or Mariner on their offical Ford Vehicle site?

I hear that one. When it came time to do the actual order, I kept trying to get info from the dealer on the 2009. They didn't even have the order guide at that point. Seems a little sad to say that they don't have this info posted on their website yet. I've gotten more info via this forum, a few others, and google searches. You would think that by the time they started rolling of the production line, everything would be ready. Brochures, website, etc. Seems some how wrong to have to get this information from sources other than ford. Not that I'm complaining, but it just seems strange. I would have thought they would have wanted to have all the info out there as early as possible. I would expect this model to be in huge demand.

When is Ford going to allow a person to build and price a 2009 Excape or Mariner on their offical Ford Vehicle site?

It is odd that you can't get the info from the official Ford site, but, you can get pretty accurate pricing for invoice of the vehicle and options fro other sites, such as, Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com), Edmunds (www.edmunds.com), and MSN (www.autos.msn.com). There is a slight variation between the base invoice price of the actual vehicle, but the options are all invoiced at the same prices. I used these sites to build what I wanted then went to a local dealer to place an order and got it for $100 below the invoice from the Kelly Blue Book site. This was over $300 less than the price I was quoted from a United Buyer's Service dealer. I will complete my order this Saturday and they estimate 8 weeks for delivery.

You might have to poke around a bit, but the information and fairly accurate pricing is available from several other sites. Just do a Google search for 2009 Ford Escape Pricing. Good luck in your search.

Not until after they are officially available for sale.

Ford might be taking orders for the 2009 models, but Ford is still marketing the 2008 models.

Thanks for your replys and information.

And Walt, I beleive you are right on as for why Ford has not pushed marketing information on the 2009s yet. One Ford dealer here in Northeast PA still has (46) 2008 Escapes on their lot as of yesterday, 06/30/08. But I am going to wait for the 2009s with all the new improvements.

I ordered my new '09 gas Escape Limited in light sage metalic on July 4th and got for $1 below invoice after the document fee was added. I used the sites i listed in an earlier post to get a price for negotiation. Two dealers were playing numbers games with me (even the one provided by the United Buyer's Service). The third dealer came back with an unbeatable deal for the car I wanted with the cargo package, luxury package and navigation package. Deliver is estimated to be 8 weeks. Not sure that will hold but I willing to wait for the exact vehicle I want.

GopherM, that is just what we had in mind. A 2009 Excape Limited, light sage metalic, with numerous options of course.

But I wanted to avoid haggling with salesmen. I have an X-plan pin number authorized by my former employer. I am now retired. I want to walk into the Ford dealership with X-plan price in hand (just to verify the price the dealer shows me) with all the options I wanted and place my order with out any hassle.

My wife and I were all set to purchase a 2008 Excape last Fall until I got wind of all the new improvements coming in the 2009's via this web-site. Thanks guys. So after waiting this long, I guess we can wait just a little bit longer.

Thanks again for all the replys to my original post, build/price question.

GopherM, that is just what we had in mind. A 2009 Excape Limited, light sage metalic, with numerous options of course.

But I wanted to avoid haggling with salesmen. I have an X-plan pin number authorized by my former employer. I am now retired. I want to walk into the Ford dealership with X-plan price in hand (just to verify the price the dealer shows me) with all the options I wanted and place my order with out any hassle.

My wife and I were all set to purchase a 2008 Excape last Fall until I got wind of all the new improvements coming in the 2009's via this web-site. Thanks guys. So after waiting this long, I guess we can wait just a little bit longer.

Thanks again for all the replys to my original post, build/price question.

4d2,

That is basically what I did (without benefit of the X-Plan). I contacted the local United Buyers' Service through my credit union and was referred to a dealership. I called that dealership and two others and told them what I wanted in the vehicle and also told them that this was a one time solicitation on my part and that I was aware of the invoice price for the car and each of the options packages I desired. I told them each that they had one chance to provide me the best and lowest price and that I would not haggle or accept non-value added charges that often get tacked on. The UBS dealership came back with a fair (but not the lowest offer and did tack on one non-value added item they would not remove). The dealership in my little town only told me they would sell it for $100 more than it cost them but refused to tell me what their cost would be. The final dealership provided me with an itemized invoice for the base Limited vehicle with an accurate invoice cost for it and each options package and a written cost for the entire package including the added documentation fee.

If you go to the Edmunds.com site and select the Tips & Advice tab at the top of the main page, they have excellent tips on how to deal for you purchase and there is also an article titled, "Confessions of a Car Salesman," written by one of their staff members that went undercover for several months.

Good luck with you purchase.

4d2

Good news is that if you order the Escape limited, there are only a few options you can order.

- Moon & Tune

- Limited Luxury Package

- 17" wheels

- Nav

- Side Step bars

- Cargo package

- Trailer package

To make things easier, there are a few Fast Turn Order packages that combine a set of options that you may want. For example, FTO 6 (pkg code 687) has the Luxury Pkg, 17" wheels, Moon/Tune package and Cargo. You would still need to add Nav, Side Step Bars and Trailer Tow package to that option.

What I did with my dealer was that I walked in with the ordering guide and told them the:

- Order Code (U04 for FWD, 525A for 4cyl, 500A for 6cyl),

- Order Type (should be X for Xplan)

- FTO package if desired

- specific options (with or without the FTO package)

The sales person sat me down in front of the screen and built the order in front of me. At the end, the ordering system will produce a Vehicle Order Confirmation that spells out the retail and dealer invoice costs for each item. It also spells out the A/Z Plan price, the D Plan price and the X plan price. My dealer gave me this printout with all the pricing and my options on it. If your dealer pushes back, tell them that you want to be able to call the inventory manager weekly to check on the status and need this sheet to confirm that your order matches.

If I were you, I wouldn't wait. Just call down to your preferred dealer and tell them that you are ready to order a vehicle and have all the options. There shouldn't be any reason why they can't do this in front of you at the dealership.

Good luck

James-

Edited by jgATL