If you put that giant a premium on 2 inches of legroom, why not just go to the Taurus/Sable. You get 2 MORE inches of legroom, plus actual headroom. Hey, maybe you will even be able to drive past 50,000 miles without putting a transmission in it! Look, I've recently owned Chrysler products, and I'll stick with my Panther. The legroom is good, and the headroom is great, and my dad's had two straight with excellent results.

Ford powetrains are benchmarked to 125000 miles. The 500 and so far the Taurus (and really every new Ford) have good reliability scores. Hell,

The CV has less legroom...and its a foot longer.

Ford powetrains are benchmarked to 125000 miles. The 500 and so far the Taurus (and really every new Ford) have good reliability scores.

In response to the first comment, so what? The Dodge has less headroom, less hip room, and way less trunk space. The GMQ is longer, but it doesn't have the "high butt" style that I personally dislike. It just seems you've locked in on the single stat where the Charger has an advantage, and treating it as the end all be-all reason to choose a car.

As to the second comment, I don't understand your response. Yes, Ford makes good powertrains, and after two trannies giving out by 50k, I'll be long in trusting another Chrysler. And I'm sorry, but the Ford Taurus powertrain has not yet proven itself the way the Panthers have.

In response to the first comment, so what? The Dodge has less headroom, less hip room, and way less trunk space. The GMQ is longer, but it doesn't have the "high butt" style that I personally dislike. It just seems you've locked in on the single stat where the Charger has an advantage, and treating it as the end all be-all reason to choose a car.

Many other cars aren't equal to the panthers in most dimensions, but it doesn't make them bad cars. The panthers are old. They need to go or be replaced. No update in the world is going to make them very desirable to a great many people. Thats not true of the LX cars or even the D3 cars.

I've been on several of these posts, and the only thing you seem to be contributing is that you don't like the Panthers and want to see them canceled. We get it. Considering your name indicates you like SUV's, I assume you probably wouldn't even buy a car anyhow, so one must begin to wonder why you have so little to do in your life that you have time to play troll in this particular forum.

Buy yourself a whole fleet of Chargers, those of us in panthers will wave to you as you are waiting for the tow truck. There is very little true difference in the setup of the powertrain on modern front-drive cars and the ones from 25 years ago. So the "its old" argument just doesn't hold water. Heck, trucks have the same basic setup they had in the 60's that has just been "updated" over the years. Is the F150 not still a solid rear axle, V8 motor, separate cab and bed, and body on frame. These were on the original truck in 1948. I guess we should dump the F150 too. After all, it and the Explorer are part and parcel to Ford's current woes, not the Panthers.

I'm not totally against moving to the GRWD platform. But if the cars are not distinct from the Taurus/Sable, Ford won't do anything but canibalize their own sales. They need to continue to offer RWD, V-8, and a world class ride without being floaty. Therefore, I don't understand why its so necessary to go to a whole new platform.

I don't think, having drove both, the Taurus will woo many GMQ buyers. Ford has the Large BOF RWD car market to itself, they should relinquish it.

I've been on several of these posts, and the only thing you seem to be contributing is that you don't like the Panthers and want to see them canceled. We get it. Considering your name indicates you like SUV's, I assume you probably wouldn't even buy a car anyhow, so one must begin to wonder why you have so little to do in your life that you have time to play troll in this particular forum.

Buy yourself a whole fleet of Chargers, those of us in panthers will wave to you as you are waiting for the tow truck. There is very little true difference in the setup of the powertrain on modern front-drive cars and the ones from 25 years ago. So the "its old" argument just doesn't hold water. Heck, trucks have the same basic setup they had in the 60's that has just been "updated" over the years. Is the F150 not still a solid rear axle, V8 motor, separate cab and bed, and body on frame. These were on the original truck in 1948. I guess we should dump the F150 too. After all, it and the Explorer are part and parcel to Ford's current woes, not the Panthers.

I'm not totally against moving to the GRWD platform. But if the cars are not distinct from the Taurus/Sable, Ford won't do anything but canibalize their own sales. They need to continue to offer RWD, V-8, and a world class ride without being floaty. Therefore, I don't understand why its so necessary to go to a whole new platform.

I don't think, having drove both, the Taurus will woo many GMQ buyers. Ford has the Large BOF RWD car market to itself, they should relinquish it.

I drive a 300. It does break more than the average Ford. The F150 has underwent significant changes since it came out. Car buyers are also a different market than truck buyers. I want the panther to be replaced for the good of Ford, not because I hate the panther. People in general don't like the panther and it would be hard to make them. Something like the Falcon on the other hand...it is smaller than the panther with very similar interior and trunk, much better looking and a much more efficient use of space. BOF cars had their purpose, but that purpose is coming to an end.

I still disagree that a smaller car will help. I only see it as hurting. Chrysler is currently going through some painful model cuts because its pointless to sell two similar cars off the same lot. I think the minute the CV et al become a RWD taurus, the cease to exist. I also think it is a mistake to copy the Taurus body style (high w/ short overhangs, tall trunk) which the falcon does. I could see the switch working on a stretched Falcon platform, making the car distinctly bigger than the Taurus et al. But it still seems pointless to replace the current car, which is long paid for.

Well said, the Panthers are unlike any other car in the market, bringin the equivalent to a Ford G8 over is not the answer. Get rid of the redundant money pit D3s, and update the existing Panther platform. No need for anything major, same dimensions, maybe place the fuel tank under the trunk, which would open up interior space, offer an additional engine option, and actually run a commercial on it. Milk it for another decade til the environazis and CAFE force us all into Prius'es anyway.

Well said, the Panthers are unlike any other car in the market, bringin the equivalent to a Ford G8 over is not the answer. Get rid of the redundant money pit D3s, and update the existing Panther platform. No need for anything major, same dimensions, maybe place the fuel tank under the trunk, which would open up interior space, offer an additional engine option, and actually run a commercial on it. Milk it for another decade til the environazis and CAFE force us all into Prius'es anyway.

I guess I'll keep buying Panthers and big 1970's full size Fords, Mercury's and Lincoln's because when the day comes that some enviromentalist Whole Foods shopping Democrat that tries to force me into some clown car. Their clown car will get an ass-whoopin like they never saw before!

Milk it for another decade til the environazis and CAFE force us all into Prius'es anyway.

Never happen. SUVs is the only thing that saved them last time. Americans will demand big comfortable vehicles. Like in the seventies, the best way to get economy is to go small right now. However, unlike the seventies, tech will come on line to make big vehicles fuel efficient very quickly. The trick is to update the panther on a dime, and put the extra money into a hybrid powertrain that also has applications in real SUV's and trucks.

I guess I'll keep buying Panthers and big 1970's full size Fords, Mercury's and Lincoln's because when the day comes that some enviromentalist Whole Foods shopping Democrat that tries to force me into some clown car. Their clown car will get an ass-whoopin like they never saw before!

Hit 'em with your panther! That'll teach them. Most of 'em don't read the disclamer on those IIHS tests saying they only apply to vehicles of the same wieght. That Civic's dang safe as long as it hits another 3000 # vehicle. Too bad the Panther has 1200 #s on it! :ohsnap:

The Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car are fantastic vehicles. They're reliable, comfortable, economical (have seen 27MPG in 1991 Town Car), and probably the safest cars on the road. Even with no updates in ages, these cars make a tremendous amount of money for Ford. Yes we all know the Hemi Chargers are faster. Who cares? Are we drag racing? The police cars are plenty fast with no governer and pretty much every high speed chase these days is with a pickup or a 83 Diplomat. People who can afford fast cars don't generally run from the cops. I believe Motor Trend had an article on these new cop cars recently and the officer who did the testing picked the Crown Vic as his favorite despite the fact that the Charger was a bit faster and handled a bit better. If Ford is smart they'll keep the Panthers. Just change the looks keep them simple, reliable, and built the way a car was meant to be built. Maybe give us an optional engine upgrade. I also would like to see manual transmissions available in big cars. We Panther owners would probably see 30 MPG on the highway!

Edited by mikelone351w