MKX Towing Package Question

I was comparing the Edge and the MKX and in looking at what you get in the "towing package" I discovered that with the Edge you get a class II hitch and engine oil cooler, larger radiator, upgraded battery, upgraded cooling fans and a 4-pin harness.

With the (more expensive) MKX all you get in the towing package is the hitch and the 4-pin harness.

Is all the other stuff already included in the MKX even if you don't order the trailer package?

Also, the picture that you get when you view what comes with the MKX towing package shows this horrendously ugly tow bar that appears to be riveted to the plastic bumper. What is up with that????

Edited by DUCKRACER

I was comparing the Edge and the MKX and in looking at what you get in the "towing package" I discovered that with the Edge you get a class II hitch and engine oil cooler, larger radiator, upgraded battery, upgraded cooling fans and a 4-pin harness.

With the (more expensive) MKX all you get in the towing package is the hitch and the 4-pin harness.

Is all the other stuff already included in the MKX even if you don't order the trailer package?

It could be that that upgraded battery and cooling fans are already standard on the MKX, but it sure make you wonder ! Do they need to upgrade the upgrade ?

Also, the picture that you get when you view what comes with the MKX towing package shows this horrendously ugly tow bar that appears to be riveted to the plastic bumper. What is up with that????

Not likely to be attached to bumper fascia.

My buddy has an Edge with the tow package. Even though he is below the Class II limit on his trailer weight, it has brakes so he had to pay the dealer to install the brake controller wiring and 9(?) pin connector which bummed him out.

It could be that that upgraded battery and cooling fans are already standard on the MKX, but it sure make you wonder ! Do they need to upgrade the upgrade ?

Not likely to be attached to bumper fascia.

My buddy has an Edge with the tow package. Even though he is below the Class II limit on his trailer weight, it has brakes so he had to pay the dealer to install the brake controller wiring and 9(?) pin connector which bummed him out.

Thanks for the reply, wizard. Yeah, you are probably right about the bumper. It did look like it was kind of an "X-ray view" of the hitch. I like the MKX because it has leather the real wood accents. I am just old school. Maybe because I am old. Other than that, the EDGE is a much better value. Either way before I by any of them, I want them to have the V6 EcoBoost motor.

Thanks again for your input.

The MKX towing package did include the same items you list for the Edge. I suspect that it still does.

Thanks for the reply, wizard. Yeah, you are probably right about the bumper. It did look like it was kind of an "X-ray view" of the hitch. I like the MKX because it has leather the real wood accents. I am just old school. Maybe because I am old. Other than that, the EDGE is a much better value. Either way before I by any of them, I want them to have the V6 EcoBoost motor.

Personally, I'm waiting for a EcoBoost V6 unibody Explorer. There should be lots more cargo room in the back !

Now will the company be in business that long ?

Personally, I'm waiting for a EcoBoost V6 unibody Explorer. There should be lots more cargo room in the back !

Now will the company be in business that long ?

I think it will. From what I have read in these forums it seems that labor has realized that they must make some sacrifices. It also seems that the same assembly lines can make several differnt products so that Ford can quickly respond to changing customer demands. They also seem to be lowering the production of vehicles that might not be in great demand for a while.

I am optimistic.