'08 MMH climate control A/C and "Auto" mode

65fairlane

I have the '08 Mariner Hybrid and with summer finally here I'm using the A/C. According to the manual, the "auto" setting is supposed to turn the A/C on or off as needed to maintain the desired cabin temperature. As far as I can tell it's not functioning that way at all. With "auto" engaged the A/C will turn on if the inside temperature's too hot, but then it won't turn off unless I press the A/C button myself. Once it starts the A/C I've even turned the temperature setting up so it's clearly higher than the interior temperature. The fan speed slows, but there is still some cold air coming from the vents and the light on the A/C switch is still on.

The Econ setting is also on when I see this behavior. Could the software for the hybrid have a peculiarity that didn't get fully tested? Econ mode does work as there is no A/C while in electric-only operation.

Am I missing something? Does anyone else see this behavior in the climate control? Thanks.

I have the '08 Mariner Hybrid and with summer finally here I'm using the A/C. According to the manual, the "auto" setting is supposed to turn the A/C on or off as needed to maintain the desired cabin temperature. As far as I can tell it's not functioning that way at all. With "auto" engaged the A/C will turn on if the inside temperature's too hot, but then it won't turn off unless I press the A/C button myself. Once it starts the A/C I've even turned the temperature setting up so it's clearly higher than the interior temperature. The fan speed slows, but there is still some cold air coming from the vents and the light on the A/C switch is still on.

The Econ setting is also on when I see this behavior. Could the software for the hybrid have a peculiarity that didn't get fully tested? Econ mode does work as there is no A/C while in electric-only operation.

Am I missing something? Does anyone else see this behavior in the climate control? Thanks.

In non hybrid vehicles Auto runs the A/C compressor continuously to dehumidify the cabin air. It only turns off when the outside temp is in the 30's. So that part is normal, at least on non-Hybrids. Once it's in auto mode, if you manually change the fan speed or anything else it will keep that setting - you must press Auto again to return it to fully automatic mode.

My MMH AC works as you describe.. but then all dozen of my other non Ford hybrid and non hybrid vehicles work as you describe too. ie: when AC on, the climate control always has air movement thru the vents regardless if the desired temp setting has been reached. If your cabin cooling is "freezing-you-out", then you may have a cabin thermostat problem.

Edited by gocargo