Break In Period?

Rugged's Mustang

I've heard to.....

* vary the speed for the first 1000 miles * (I know you're supposed to do this)

take it easy, keep it under like 65 for the fisrt 500-1000 miles

change the oil early, like 500-1000 miles

but someone also told me, just have fun with it, if an engine will break it will break

Any thoughts, or what have other's done?

I always break in a new vehicle by driving it like I always drive. My daily commute of 50 miles roundtrip features speeds up to 65mph(or more) and is mostly rural roads except for the last 5 miles which is city stop and go. I try to be easy on the brakes at first to not warp the rotors. I don't change the oil until 3k miles. I would imagine it doesn't hurt to change the oil sooner.

Vary the speed for 1,000-1,500 miles (Don't set the speed control at 70 and drive 400+ miles when new) to generate a wide wear pattern on gears. This will help eliminate gear whine. Don't change the oil for 3,000 miles or so and don't go wide open throttle for 1,000 miles. You want rings to seat and bearing surfaces to wear in easily. Don't put a full synthetic oil in a new vehicle unless you live in a sub-zero envirinment. It is too slick and can promote glazing cylinder walls.

If you wanted to be extra careful, you could change just the oil filter at 1,000 miles, and add just enough fresh oil to bring it back up to full. If your vehicle calls for 5w20 then use Motorcraft 5w20. Don't let someone tell you it gets hot here so you should use thicker oil.

You can get a thousand opinions and claims by aftermarket oil companies, but this is based on engineering studies.

When you are out of warranty do anything you want.