'09 FEH/MMH ECON Mode

GaryG

For those that have Automatic Climate Control, have you found any reason why you can't go EV in the Econ mode? I'm the second person that is having a problem on our '09 FEH. I'm wondering if the temperature setting has to be met in the cabin before shutdown of the ICE can occur. My '05 FEH has a manual A/C and shuts down the ICE for EV no matter the cabin temp in the Econ mode.

Someone with a '08 FEH/MMH may know the answer also.

For those that have Automatic Climate Control, have you found any reason why you can't go EV in the Econ mode? I'm the second person that is having a problem on our '09 FEH. I'm wondering if the temperature setting has to be met in the cabin before shutdown of the ICE can occur. My '05 FEH has a manual A/C and shuts down the ICE for EV no matter the cabin temp in the Econ mode.

Mine goes into EV with the A/C in Econ and for the most part it will stay EV as well. I want to say that the issue is that the climate control feels it needs to run more A/C to get to the right temp. I have noticed that sometimes when the engine cuts out the fan speed increases. How high is the outside temp and how long as the A/C been running?

Mine goes into EV with the A/C in Econ and for the most part it will stay EV as well. I want to say that the issue is that the climate control feels it needs to run more A/C to get to the right temp. I have noticed that sometimes when the engine cuts out the fan speed increases. How high is the outside temp and how long as the A/C been running?

I ran 10 miles with the A/C on the Highway at 60mph and got off with a full battery at 92 degrees outside. No EV until I shut off the A/C.

I ran 10 miles with the A/C on the Highway at 60mph and got off with a full battery at 92 degrees outside. No EV until I shut off the A/C.

That's weird because I can leave work with the engine and A/C running and be in EV by the time I hit the traffic light less then a mile away. It's been in the upper 80's here and I do park in a structure so that might make a difference, but I have also had the engine cut out with the A/C on after being parked in the sun. I wonder if maybe a sensor is mixed up.

At least on the older hybrids, the A/C is used to cool the battery pack too. So, with the outside air at 92 deg, it is possibly that the A/C was running for the battery, and not you.

I read somewhere that the battery pack is no longer A/C cooled on the '09 models. Can anyone with a '09 confirm or deny this?

Edited by Walt

At least on the older hybrids, the A/C is used to cool the battery pack too. So, with the outside air at 92 deg, it is possibly that the A/C was running for the battery, and not you.

I read somewhere that the battery pack is no longer A/C cooled on the '09 models. Can anyone with a '09 confirm or deny this?

The 2009 is still A/C cooled. I have seen pictures posted that showed the A/C lines in the left rear wheel well.

My 2008 has no issues there. My ICE will shut down in ECON mode no matter what the temperature. In fact I often set my temp to 60 and manually set the fan speed. It still does ECON and EV.

Hi Walt

The Aux A/C for the HV battery is still in the '09 FEH/MMH, the Fusion/Milan Hybrid HV battery was said to be smaller (275V) and fan cooled only. If I was able to turn off the cabin A/C and go EV, the battery loses its A/C also, so I don't think that was keeping the A/C On in the ECON mode. I played with the A/C again today and still no luck with EV in the ECON mode. It seems other '09's are working correctly, but I thought since Cougar's '09 was doing the same thing, it might be an incorrect operation we were doing.

GaryG,

I saw in another post that you were averaging 49.2 MPG. I am assuming you were able to get into EV mode with that mileage. What was the issue with the air and the economy mode?

The 49.2mpg was with no A/C. EV mode works great without the A/C. I have ran the A/C a number of times and still no EV in the ECON mode. The A/C drops MPG as well does highway driving. I have about 500 miles on the first tank of gas (E-10) and have a tank average of 46mpg so far. Still not bad for a new vehicle's first tank on E-10.

I need to take my '09 FEH to the dealer service department for the repair still and they will ruin my lifetime average with the engine running with the A/C on trying to locate the problem.