MGM: 19,310

Lin TC: 9.982

Total Sales: 61,057

Other Full-Size: (D3)

Taurus: 36,016

Sable: 11,702

Total Sales: 47,718

Link: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080801/clf029.html?.v=101

Footnote: This figures are not posted on BON, so I had to research them.

All this pro-Panther posting (truth/facts) is death on here. You'll be labeled the likes of "troll" like myself and P71_CrownVic (he should be back from suspension in a few days "hint-hint") and a few others for your trouble.

Ford will D3 the F-150 and D3 the Mustang if they have to get somebody to buy one and not a Panther, you watch grasshopper. Prepare for the onslaught on the D3 :cheerleader: s to teach you the folly of your ways.

Edited by Armada Master

All this pro-Panther posting (truth/facts) is death on here. You'll be labeled the likes of "troll" like myself and P71_Crown Vic (he should be back from suspension in a few days "hint-hint") and a few others for your trouble.

Ford will D3 the F-150 and D3 the Mustang if they have to get somebody to buy one and not a Panther, you watch grasshopper. Prepare for the onslaught on the D3 :cheerleader: s to teach you the folly of your ways.

Let them bring it on.

I have owned 4 panthers since 1990, a 90 TC, 99 CV P73 for my wife, she can't stand leather, 2000 CV, that I rolled and as the California Highway Patrol said saved my live, and of course a 2004 CV Sport, which is my pride and joy.

Now mind you, I also worked as a government fleet mechanic, and we have had all sorts of cars in our mix. The one car that stood out as needing the least maintenance is the panther.

Tires at 30 to 35,000 miles, brakes, all the way around every 80,000, otherwise, a trouble free car. We would put 200,000 to 250,000 miles on our panthers, and then sell them at auction, and they drove thru the auction, on their own power.

Unlike some of our other cars, we had to off-load them at less then 60,000 miles, as they were eating up our maintenance funds.

And I am referring to Taurus, sable, statrus, Malibu, neon, impala, ect, all FWD crap. We spend all of our resources replacing transmissions, motor mounts, and of course engines, problems with emissions systems, ect.

We dumped these cars, before we had budgeted their replacements, as they were killing us.

Recently, we now dump all of our cars at three years or 36,000 miles, to avoid our maintenance costs.

However, we will not dump a panther, at that rate, we use them as loaners!

When a Panther reaches 36,000, we survey its history, and if it has been in a wreck, it is sold. If we haven't had any maintenance problems, it is put into service as a loaner, and will remain until 6 years or 100,000 miles, then it is sold.

The facts speak for themselves.

Otherwise, I wouldn't own a Coral full of Panthers!

By the way, the B body was a good vehicle too. Only problems we had with them was the cracking of the dashes, remember I am in the desert area of California, and the fleet vehicles are not driven every day!

We keep the B bodies to around 170,000 because of the dash problem, otherwise they were sold running in the auction too.

I am in the market for a new steering wheel for my 99 CV, as my Wives wedding ring, has caused the padding on the wheel to begin flaking off.

Since we are planning to keep the car, another 100,000 and then replace it, and will buy another Panther, new of course, it is a cheap investment.

My wife will continue to drive it as her work vehicle, as she works in shopping centers, and presently get paid 60 cents a mile when she leaves home. She has the largest territory in the country who she works for, and feels safe in her car. She puts on 1500 miles per month, and only works 20 hours per week, as half of her time is driving.

By the way, her boss drives only Lincoln TC's and was shocked to see her driving a Panther. He told her you have made a wise choice in a vehicle for a job like hers.

And yes, she loves the sofa ride, as she is almost 50, and well enjoys her car and comfortable ride.

Why aren't people bemoaning the pitiful performance of the Taurus/Sable? Why is it the Panthers are the only cars that have to sell 200,000 models a year, all to retail customers, in order to prove they are worth keeping around?

I love my Panther. Drove the Villager today. In the past, when I drove a Neon, the Villager always felt big and powerful, but today, I was surprised how cramped and slow it felt. Plus I've only lost about 3-4 mpg in combined driving. My brother squealed like a pig when he found out I was getting 28 mpg on the interstate, his new 07 Town and Country only manages 24, and a co-worker paid three times as much for a Saturn Outlook that only returns in the high teens on mpg. I thought BOF cars were "big and heavy with poor MPG"?

I thought BOF cars were "big and heavy with poor MPG"?

That little white lie has been in effect since the early 1990's and encompassed the GM B-bodies as well. I still recall vividly people I'd meet balk at one of my B-bodies and tell me what horrid gas mileage full-size cars get all while crawling into a Suburban or Expedition.

Edited by Armada Master

• 2 weeks later...
I still recall vividly people I'd meet balk at one of my B-bodies and tell me what horrid gas mileage full-size cars get all while crawling into a Suburban or Expedition.

Those soccer mommies probably had no idea that, other than 4wd, that Suburban had almost the same running gear! :hysterical: And if popular culture told them all the hip "young" vehicle to drive was a fake wood sided Roadmaster wagon, they'd be beating down the doors of the Buick dealership to get 'em. :nonono:

Trust me, start filming poptarts driving around in panthers, and watch forty-year-old mommies buy 'em in droves. Hell, look what rap videos have done for cars that were a pariah just a few years back. Young african americans can't wait to get ahold of a panther or caprice. Big big cars with big big wheels.

Here is the Taurus (The In-House Competitor) sales figures for the first 1/2 MY.

This is the only full-sized vehicle available listed on the Ford Website, unless you sign in as fleet.

Here are the figures:

Category/total sales/percentage of sales

Total Fleet Sales: 14,066, 48.2%

Commercial: 8,371, 28.5%

Rentals: 4,906, 17%,

Government: 789, 03%

John Q. Public: 15,162, 51.8%

Total vehicles sold: 29,228, 100%

I am sure, that businesses are being pushed into the D3's to boost sales.

Since government fleets order in the fall, for delivery in the spring and summer, how will the real numbers turn out. I would be willing to bet that Fleet sales, exceed John Q. Public sales in the final picture.

I am sure, that businesses are being pushed into the D3's to boost sales.

I'm sure they're pushed into anything BUT a Crown Vic like my wife's uncle was in 2006 when he went Crown Vic shopping and got shoved into a Fusion.

Baker Hughes here buys (or did) a TON or retail Crown Vics, makes me wonder what they are getting shoved into instead.

I'm sure they're pushed into anything BUT a Crown Vic like my wife's uncle was in 2006 when he went Crown Vic shopping and got shoved into a Fusion.

Baker Hughes here buys (or did) a TON or retail Crown Vics, makes me wonder what they are getting shoved into instead.

When my wife and I went shopping for a NEW Crown Vic, in 2005, we were told they no longer made them. We walked from those dealerships, as they were liars.

One night, we were driving by our local Ford dealership, after seeing on the INTERNET, they had two 2004's in stock.

We stopped by, and looked, one was the six seater, and the other the sport. Both were the CV LX. We drove both of them, and my wife and I were taken back by the performance of the LX Sport, it was faster, shifted firmer, ect.

My wife liked the sport, due to its response. So we bought it.

Later, I found out that the car was the Service Managers company car, and that it spend a lot of time in the tune-up shop, and the employees who worked there said that car hauls ass.

When I measured the MAF sensor, it is 80 MM, and is not one piece, like the Marauder, but is using the regular Air Cleaner.

In addition, when I bought the Super Chips tuner, and attempted to load the program, the super chips wouldn't load, and I had to download my present ECM computer program, and return it back to the factory.

Three weeks later, Super chips called, and an engineer asked me about the history of the car.

I told him I brought it used, and I didn't know the history.

They told me, that the program that came in the car was more aggressive then they normally would program, and that I had a choice, to either leave it alone, and just have the ability to adjust the other parameters, or they could install the usual program.

I told them to leave the programming alone, and I would adjust the other parameters, which was basically just the removal of the Rev Limiter.

I didn't find out that is was the service managers car, until about 9 months later. At the county we had hired a new employee, and he asked me one day whose car is that, and I told him mine, and he asked where did I buy it from. Thats when he told me the whole story, and we had hired another mechanic, who said the same thing, once he found out where I brought it from. Both these guys told me the same story.