FEH Tires & Rims

GaryG

I just got back from Goodyear who mounted the 2 Michelin Latitude Tours on the front of my '05 FEH. I brought a scale to weigh the '05 FEH Rim, so now we can compare the weights. The stock FEH Rim is 2.2 pounds lighter than my new '09 FEHL Rim which is 20.4 pounds. The standard FEH Rim weighs 18.2 pounds. If you add the new Eco Plus at 31 pounds, the total weigh is 49.2 pounds. If you replace the Eco Plus tires with the new Michelins, the standard FEH Rim and Michelin tire would weigh 47.6 pounds each. WoW! This is what my new tires and Rims weigh on the front of my '05 FEH now.

The FEHL Rim and Michelin Latitude Tour tires weighed 49.8 pounds, which is .6 pounds more than the stock FEH rim and the Eco Plus. The folks that got the '09 FEH non Limited models have the 47.6 pound tire and Rim set-up.

Rim is 20.4 pounds. Cost - $188.53 + $50 core charge. The Parts Manager told me $228.52 but he forgot the core charge so he discounted the rim even more. List price is $285.65 plus $50 core.

Michelin Latitude Tour tire is 29.4 pounds. Cost each - $159, List $177

I just got back from Goodyear who mounted the 2 Michelin Latitude Tours on the front of my '05 FEH. I brought a scale to weigh the '05 FEH Rim, so now we can compare the weights. The stock FEH Rim is 2.2 pounds lighter than my new '09 FEHL Rim which is 20.4 pounds. The standard FEH Rim weighs 18.2 pounds. If you add the new Eco Plus at 31 pounds, the total weigh is 49.2 pounds. If you replace the Eco Plus tires with the new Michelins, the standard FEH Rim and Michelin tire would weigh 47.6 pounds each. WoW! This is what my new tires and Rims weigh on the front of my '05 FEH now.

The FEHL Rim and Michelin Latitude Tour tires weighed 49.8 pounds, which is .6 pounds more than the stock FEH rim and the Eco Plus. The folks that got the '09 FEH non Limited models have the 47.6 pound tire and Rim set-up.

Rim is 20.4 pounds. Cost - $188.53 + $50 core charge. The Parts Manager told me $228.52 but he forgot the core charge so he discounted the rim even more. List price is $285.65 plus $50 core.

Michelin Latitude Tour tire is 29.4 pounds. Cost each - $159, List $177

Thank you for the info. Any increased Gas mileage from the lighter tires?

Thank you for the info. Any increased Gas mileage from the lighter tires?

All I can say is my '09 FEHL gets about 8-10mpg better than my '05 FEH hypermiling. Just put the new lighter Michelin tires on the front of my '05 FEH and hadn't had a chance to tell yet. Michelin claims the lighter tires increase MPG and that makes sense to me. Getting heavier tires moving takes more energy it would seem to me also.

• 2 months later...

Gary, or anyone else for that matter, do you know if the 09 rim is the same size, lug location, as older FEH's? Or at least the same as the 08? It would seem to me that they would be but my parts guy is telling me the 09 is different. I'm just looking to get cheep rims for winter tires since we get a lot of lake effect snow here and I'm trying to make sure the rims will work. Thanks!

Edited by prattman08

All I can say is my '09 FEHL gets about 8-10mpg better than my '05 FEH hypermiling. Just put the new lighter Michelin tires on the front of my '05 FEH and hadn't had a chance to tell yet. Michelin claims the lighter tires increase MPG and that makes sense to me. Getting heavier tires moving takes more energy it would seem to me also.

Hey Gary, on average historically, what kind of miles do you get on your '09 while hypermiling?

Hey Gary, on average historically, what kind of miles do you get on your '09 while hypermiling?

Well, according to my SGII and the Nav Sys average I was getting killer mileage until my pump fills showed different. Today with strong winds my 5th tank average dropped from 48mpg to 47.8mpg on the Nav Sys and 51mpg on the non adjusted SGII. These are both way to high and I'm going to estimate based on gas pumped I have a lifetime average since assembly at 45mpg. This is with E-10 gas and the hottest time in Florida with strong winds. Today I hit 50 Miles to Empty with 608 miles on the trip OD. Just checked my total miles and it was 3,260.1 miles on my 5th tank which means I'm averaging 652 miles per tank with 48 miles to empty on this tank.

Well, according to my SGII and the Nav Sys average I was getting killer mileage until my pump fills showed different. Today with strong winds my 5th tank average dropped from 48mpg to 47.8mpg on the Nav Sys and 51mpg on the non adjusted SGII. These are both way to high and I'm going to estimate based on gas pumped I have a lifetime average since assembly at 45mpg. This is with E-10 gas and the hottest time in Florida with strong winds. Today I hit 50 Miles to Empty with 608 miles on the trip OD. Just checked my total miles and it was 3,260.1 miles on my 5th tank which means I'm averaging 652 miles per tank with 48 miles to empty on this tank.

Dang......nice!