Maximum Battery Charge

cgreg

I am new to the FHE experience. I've been driving my 2009 AWD for about one week now, and I have noticed that the battery charge never goes above 5 bars on the nav system.

Is this normal?

It's FEH (Ford Escape Hybrid) and welcome here. Five bars is because 4 bars is the minimum before a restart to recharge the battery. Most older FEH owners would love to have your problem. The '09 is much different than prior FEH models because they go EV so much under 40mph the HV battery is always on the low side. Four bars is 40% which is close to the minimum charge. It is very rare I have gotten the the maximum charge of 60% in either of my '05 FEH and 54% in my '09 FEH.

If you drive above 40mph for a time, the HV battery will charge higher than 5 bars. My suggestion is to get a Scangauge II and plug it in under your the left side of the brake pedal and read the instructions or ask me for help. See this link: http://scangauge.com/

I have a 2005 Escape Hybrid and just had two instances of over 65% SOC on the same day. Both occurred during longer downhill runs in which I may lightly tap to brakes to help control speed. Almost every day I can obtain a 55-58% SOC reading due to a 1/2 mile long downhill that I travel on almost daily.

Edited by billyk24

• 1 month later...
My 2009 does about the same 4-5 bars all the time. I did take my FEH up a pretty rough mtn road. With all the braking, when I got the bottom, the battery was at FULL charge. Probably wont ever see that again

With the FEH not being a PHEV is anyone tinkering with a way to hook up a solar panel or 110v outlet to charge the battery to say 60% SOC while parked during the workday? Got an offer to set up one or two of these in wifes parking space at work.

Model KD 135GX-LP

Max Power 135 Watts

Voltage at Max Power 17.7 Volts

Current at Max Power 7.63 Amps

Maximum System Voltage 600V

Open Circuit Voltage 22.1 Volts

Short Circuit Current 8.37 Amps

Series Fuse Rating 15 Amps

Dimension (LxWxD) 59.1"x26.3"x1.4"

Weight 33.0 lbs