Tow my Rubicon with 4.0L Ranger?

fabfordeb

I've been anxious to get a new Ranger, but with the 2008 F150 deals around an F150 looks pretty attractive, although I'd prefer the 2009 F150 with the new features. I've been thinking 4cyl but since Ford hasn't put in the 2.5L I might want to go to 4.0L so that gets me thinking about being able to tow my 2006 Rubicon Unlimited that probably weighs 4000 lbs with all the stuff I've added to it.

So I'm wondering how it would work towing the Rubicon with the 4.0L Ranger. The towing capacity is there according to the Ford numbers. Obviously the F150 would be better, but the 2009 F150 is probably going to be big bucks more than the Ranger at least for a while till incentives kick in on it.

Anyone have any experience or comments on towing a vehicle like this with the 4.0L Ranger supercab?

I've been anxious to get a new Ranger, but with the 2008 F150 deals around an F150 looks pretty attractive, although I'd prefer the 2009 F150 with the new features. I've been thinking 4cyl but since Ford hasn't put in the 2.5L I might want to go to 4.0L so that gets me thinking about being able to tow my 2006 Rubicon Unlimited that probably weighs 4000 lbs with all the stuff I've added to it.

So I'm wondering how it would work towing the Rubicon with the 4.0L Ranger. The towing capacity is there according to the Ford numbers. Obviously the F150 would be better, but the 2009 F150 is probably going to be big bucks more than the Ranger at least for a while till incentives kick in on it.

Anyone have any experience or comments on towing a vehicle like this with the 4.0L Ranger supercab?

Didn't get any response on towing with the Ranger, but I'm now a proud owner of a 2008 F-150 STX reg cab 4.6L and love it. I know it will tow the Rubicon. I just got tired of waiting for the new Ranger.

F-150 is more truck and would handle it better just because it is more truck. I would not buy or use a Ranger for pulling anything automotive myself, prefering the F-150 instead.

The Ranger is a nice lite duty suburban pickup. More for the weekend weed killing warrior working in the garden and doing Honey do's than getting all serious pulling something substantial over a great distance.

Although I have a friend that does buy and sell collectible cars. And he uses the Ranger s/c with 4.0L and auto box to pick up his purchases. Like last year it was a 1941 Buick. Now that's was some serious wieght, but he was fine. And so was his truck.

F-150 is more truck and would handle it better just because it is more truck. I would not buy or use a Ranger for pulling anything automotive myself, prefering the F-150 instead.

The Ranger is a nice lite duty suburban pickup. More for the weekend weed killing warrior working in the garden and doing Honey do's than getting all serious pulling something substantial over a great distance.

Although I have a friend that does buy and sell collectible cars. And he uses the Ranger s/c with 4.0L and auto box to pick up his purchases. Like last year it was a 1941 Buick. Now that's was some serious wieght, but he was fine. And so was his truck.

I've towed a Miata with mine (not exactly a Rubicon, admittedly) using a dolly (below), not a trailer. Handled it without a problem. Definitely need more than the bumper hitch, obviously.

tow-dolly-trailer.jpg