2006 Freestar issues...

kcmiller

:shrug: We have an '06 Freestar that occasionally sounds like it has a fan rubbing (or some other metal against metal grinding-type sound). It only happens about once a week and the service technicians can't figure it out. We keep being told, "We can't recreate the problem so we don't know what to fix." We had an '02 Windstar that did the same thing! Sometimes it occurs when utilizing the heating or cooling controls -- but sometimes it's independent of that. Sometimes it does it while still in "park" and sometimes while driving down the road. Just wondering if any other van owners have had the same problem and what you found out.

haha its a "trait" of these vans....every single one that i've been in makes the sound every once in a while. It sounds horrible...like the van is shredding something up for 2 seconds! My parents Windstar has been making that noise since brand new, three years ago, and the 98 we had before that made it the whole 5 years we had it...i don't know what to tell you...get used to it i guess, we have...its not hurting anything.

I had a 2004 Freestar that did something similar. When ever you would start the vehicle it would make a griding noise if the motor was cold or if you just turned on the AC or defrost and the compressor turned on. It seemed to do it the hardest if the van had been sitting for a day or so. Took it to 2 different Ford dealers before they could figure it out. The last Ford Dealership gave me a letter from Ford stating that it had something to do with the temperature of the compressor and the temperature inside or outside of the vehicle (I don't remember). They said to turn off the heeting and AC before shutting off the engine and wait to turn it on until the engine has run for a little bit. This seemed to make it less harsh and less frequent. I wish I still had the letter but I don't and I only remember parts of what it said. Anyway I put over 80,000 miles on it before I got rid of it and did not have any problems with the van. I traded for a 2005 Freestar and it does the same thing off and on. Hope this helps, sorry I don't still have the letter but depite what alot of people say I have had 3 Ford Minivans Windstar/Freestar and have had no problems with any of them except for a power seat motor quiting on the windstar.

• 3 weeks later...