New Focus comes without Spare Tire

CD4EMAN

I was having a conversation with a friend friday about their 08 Focus and he told me that it hadn't come with a spare tire!!! And he was only given a can of fix-a-flat! So I called a local dealer and spoke with someone in service, He told me YES thats true only some models come with a spare and fix-a-flat with the rest, you are supposed to call roadside service for help if you have a flat. My first question is after 3 years and my warrantee is over then what? But then I thought HOW CAN WE SELL CARS WITHOUT A SPARE! And does any other respectable manufacturer do this. UNBELIEVEABLE! Why are we losing market share? I wonder!!!!

Any thoughts from anyone else.

I was having a conversation with a friend friday about their 08 Focus and he told me that it hadn't come with a spare tire!!! And he was only given a can of fix-a-flat! So I called a local dealer and spoke with someone in service, He told me YES thats true only some models come with a spare and fix-a-flat with the rest, you are supposed to call roadside service for help if you have a flat. My first question is after 3 years and my warrantee is over then what? But then I thought HOW CAN WE SELL CARS WITHOUT A SPARE! And does any other respectable manufacturer do this. UNBELIEVEABLE! Why are we losing market share? I wonder!!!!

Any thoughts from anyone else.

08 - Spare tire was an option.

09 - Spare tire standard.

Seems like your outrage came just a little too late.

Lots of new vehicles don't come with spares. A quick Google search for "no spare tire" lists"

Smart Car

Toyota Sienna

BMW M-Series X-Series

Dodge Callenger

Honda Fit

Porshe

Pontiac G8

Chevy Corvette

...just to name a few.

So to answer your question, yes other manufacturers make cars with no spares/optional spares.

Do I agree? Yes and no. Even though I have taught my wife to change a spare, I wouldn't want her to actually have to change one unless she was absolutely stuck somewhere out of cell phone range. I'd rather have her call me or the auto club than have her drop the car on a spindle using the crappy scissor jack that they give you to hoist the car.

In 25 years and about 750,000 miles of driving I've maybe used my spares 4 times total -- I've had new vehicles that I've bought and run into the ground without ever having removed the spare. That's a lot of wasted gas in carting around 30-40 pounds all the time. I suppose it would depend on where you live as to whether it's worth it.

I would, however, like to see run-flat tires made mandatory on cars without a spare.

Lots of new vehicles don't come with spares. A quick Google search for "no spare tire" lists"

Smart Car

Toyota Sienna

BMW M-Series X-Series

Dodge Callenger

Honda Fit

Porshe

Pontiac G8

Chevy Corvette

...just to name a few.

So to answer your question, yes other manufacturers make cars with no spares/optional spares.

Do I agree? Yes and no. Even though I have taught my wife to change a spare, I wouldn't want her to actually have to change one unless she was absolutely stuck somewhere out of cell phone range. I'd rather have her call me or the auto club than have her drop the car on a spindle using the crappy scissor jack that they give you to hoist the car.

In 25 years and about 750,000 miles of driving I've maybe used my spares 4 times total -- I've had new vehicles that I've bought and run into the ground without ever having removed the spare. That's a lot of wasted gas in carting around 30-40 pounds all the time. I suppose it would depend on where you live as to whether it's worth it.

I would, however, like to see run-flat tires made mandatory on cars without a spare.

Pretty sure you need a spare tire in a vehicle to pass a safety inspectionin in Canada

The reason I was told that they sell focus without spare tire is to help increase gas mileage..any extra weight gone helps with gas mileage...Thats what I was told...

Please a spare tire for a focus?? Extra weight ??? How much can a spare tire weigh about 10 to 15 lbs.??? You realisticly can't tell me that is going to increase your gas mileage that much by getting rid of 10 or 15 lbs.

Please a spare tire for a focus?? Extra weight ??? How much can a spare tire weigh about 10 to 15 lbs.??? You realisticly can't tell me that is going to increase your gas mileage that much by getting rid of 10 or 15 lbs.

Try 20 to 30. A little more if you include the jack. It's about weight ratio. Every little bit counts. I know people that track their cars that remove the rear seats, replace steel hoods with fiberglass or carbon fiber.

Will you save a lot of gas? No. But you will save some.

Smart Car

Toyota Sienna

BMW M-Series X-Series

Dodge Callenger

Honda Fit

Porshe

Pontiac G8

Chevy Corvette

...just to name a few.

I have had the same good luck or sense to keep my tires in good shape. But it would only take one time in the middle of the night 50 miles away from the nearest town. And guess who up sh!t creek?

If they did not include spare on some '08 models it wasnt the increase MPG as the main

motive it was most definitely increasing profits on a low profit but strong selling model.....

I have an 08 Focus, and it has no spare but it does come with a mini-compressor and some sort of fix a flat that is integrated on the compressor that if it is used you can replace it, but I do intend to get a spare, I for one don't care to wait for roadside assistance if I have a flat, and I'm sure labor-ville will understand if I come to work late because I was waiting for roadside assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

To me a spare tire is like insurance. You don't want to use it but you are damn glad you have it when you need it. Not too long ago I hit a small piece of steel on the hiway, probably a piece of leaf spring. My front tire picked it up and it blew out my rear tire, no amount of run flat could fix this. I pulled over, put on the spare and went on. Had I had no spare, I would have to call for a tow truck, wait for the tow truck, get towed to some place ready to rob you blind and your day is shot! :glare:

I believe that deleting the spare tire and jack increases the mpg by .6 , now imagine selling 200,000 Focus with that increase, and how it can improve the overall CAFE.

Every little bit helps, and that is what it is all about, improving the CAFE.

You can add it for around 85 bucks as an option, but options don't count against the CAFE, so now you know.

Its sort of like, in this day and age, who buys a base, crank windows, no radio, no air, push button locks car ? An extremely low percentage of people, so why do we offer one ?

You offer one so you can advertise that lowball figure, to entice people, only to find out later that to properly equip the car the way today's buying public want it will cost 3,000 more. These low/no option cars also get better fuel economy, which takes us back to improving the CAFE.