Are their sheet metal patches on my new MMH?

mmdlcab

Over the weekend I broke out a can of car wax and waxed my new MMH. I noticed something I've never seen before on any of my cars, and did not notice on the MMH until I did the waxing. On both rear passenger doors, in the bottom corner, near the wheel well, there appear to be 2 sheet metal patches. One on each door. It's about 2 or 3 inches wide, and maybe 6 or 7 inches tall. I don't think I would have ever noticed them if i didn't do the wax job. It looks like a very thin strip of metal that goes from the bottom edge of the door, up to about the bend area in the middle of the door. I'm wondering if it's some sort of covering for an access panel or something? Or, perhaps its a sheet metal patch. But in any event, it sure doesn't look right. I took a picture of it last night and will try to post that from home when I get there tonight. Since I don't have any other FEH or MMH to compare to, I wonder if this is normal for this model of vehicle. But, I can say in all the other cars I've owned over 30 years, I've never seen anything like this before. Looking for other folks out there to check their vehicles and see if they have this too?

TIA

cab

Over the weekend I broke out a can of car wax and waxed my new MMH. I noticed something I've never seen before on any of my cars, and did not notice on the MMH until I did the waxing. On both rear passenger doors, in the bottom corner, near the wheel well, there appear to be 2 sheet metal patches. One on each door. It's about 2 or 3 inches wide, and maybe 6 or 7 inches tall. I don't think I would have ever noticed them if i didn't do the wax job. It looks like a very thin strip of metal that goes from the bottom edge of the door, up to about the bend area in the middle of the door. I'm wondering if it's some sort of covering for an access panel or something? Or, perhaps its a sheet metal patch. But in any event, it sure doesn't look right. I took a picture of it last night and will try to post that from home when I get there tonight. Since I don't have any other FEH or MMH to compare to, I wonder if this is normal for this model of vehicle. But, I can say in all the other cars I've owned over 30 years, I've never seen anything like this before. Looking for other folks out there to check their vehicles and see if they have this too?

TIA

cab

It's probably a protective covering to prevent rock chips. I had them on my 95 ranger - they were basically painted vinyl decals.

It's probably a protective covering to prevent rock chips. I had them on my 95 ranger - they were basically painted vinyl decals.

That is what it is. The "covers" are placed on the door where they flare to blend in with the flare around the rear wheel wells. Since they stick out in the air (and debris) flow, the covers are there to protect against rock chips and sand blasting.

The bottom comment in this attached thread has a photo of my new FEL and you can see the outward sweep of the rear door and merge into the wheel well.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=26845

Edited by GopherM

That is what it is. The "covers" are placed on the door where they flare to blend in with the flare around the rear wheel wells. Since they stick out in the air (and debris) flow, the covers are there to protect against rock chips and sand blasting.

The bottom comment in this attached thread has a photo of my new FEL and you can see the outward sweep of the rear door and merge into the wheel well.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=26845

Thanks for the info guys. If this works, the attached pic is what I'm talking about. Is this the same as on your vehicles?

post-33355-1222207516_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. If this works, the attached pic is what I'm talking about. Is this the same as on your vehicles?

That is definitely the stone guard. It is supposed to be there. Mine has the same thing and every one I have seen on the lot has the same applique to prevent stone and debris damage to the flared door panel.

I wonder if the Hybrid is different... I dont seem to see this sheet metal patch. Maybe I am blind.

Nope, mines a hybrid. I never noticed them until i did the waxing, and I thought I did a reall good look over of the vehicle before accepting delivery. The picture I have above shows them pretty well. Maybe yours doesn't have them(?), but my 2009 does.

Nope, mines a hybrid. I never noticed them until i did the waxing, and I thought I did a reall good look over of the vehicle before accepting delivery. The picture I have above shows them pretty well. Maybe yours doesn't have them(?), but my 2009 does.

I took a more careful look today. My 2009 FEHL definitely does NOT have anything like this around any wheel. Very strange indeed.