Saw a new Ranger on the lot yesterday

RangerM

I thought all SuperCab Rangers had 4 doors, but a couple of new ones I saw on the lot yesterday didn't have them.

I saw two Rangers, one said something like "2-door body style" and another said "4-door body style" but other than the differing base price, there was nothing to distinguish them. The doors were not listed as an option, nor was there a different trim level that seemed to make any difference.

It didn't seem to make a difference (in the door count) whether the truck was an XLT or something else.

Has it always been this way?

I thought all SuperCab Rangers had 4 doors, but a couple of new ones I saw on the lot yesterday didn't have them.

I saw two Rangers, one said something like "2-door body style" and another said "4-door body style" but other than the differing base price, there was nothing to distinguish them. The doors were not listed as an option, nor was there a different trim level that seemed to make any difference.

It didn't seem to make a difference (in the door count) whether the truck was an XLT or something else.

My aunt has a 1999 and my friend has a 2001 and both have supercabs with only 2 doors. Sort of defeats the purpose, in my opinion, but they like them.

You can get the rear doors with the V6, maybe with a stick I4, but not with an I4 auto. Most supercabs on the lots here are 2 doors. I've been interested in getting an I4 auto with 4 doors for the mpg hoping they'd do it in 2009 but they didn't. So I bought an F-150 Reg cab auto that has easy access behind the seats, enough room for luggage if you move the seats up a litte and close to the Ranger V6 mpg. It's too bad Ford didn't make the change, they probably loose a lot of public sales to the competition that has rear doors with an I4 auto.

You can get the rear doors with the V6, maybe with a stick I4, but not with an I4 auto. Most supercabs on the lots here are 2 doors. I've been interested in getting an I4 auto with 4 doors for the mpg hoping they'd do it in 2009 but they didn't. So I bought an F-150 Reg cab auto that has easy access behind the seats, enough room for luggage if you move the seats up a litte and close to the Ranger V6 mpg. It's too bad Ford didn't make the change, they probably loose a lot of public sales to the competition that has rear doors with an I4 auto.

The biggest disadvantage I ever noticed with 4 door Rangers was wind noise. I used to rent them from Budget, when they were available (and cheap to rent, btw).

The wind noise emanating from the meeting point of the front and rear door was more than just noticeable to me, but then again those were rentals, so they could have been a bit abused. I never realized that Ford didn't ditch the Supercab with 2 doors.

For me, the biggest mistake that Ford made with the Ranger was to not offer a true crew cab configuration. If I were buying today, I'd probably be looking at the Nissan Frontier crew cab because you can get it with a 6-foot bed.

The biggest disadvantage I ever noticed with 4 door Rangers was wind noise. I used to rent them from Budget, when they were available (and cheap to rent, btw).

The wind noise emanating from the meeting point of the front and rear door was more than just noticeable to me, but then again those were rentals, so they could have been a bit abused. I never realized that Ford didn't ditch the Supercab with 2 doors.

For me, the biggest mistake that Ford made with the Ranger was to not offer a true crew cab configuration. If I were buying today, I'd probably be looking at the Nissan Frontier crew cab because you can get it with a 6-foot bed.

IMO, the Ranger frame probably isn't up to the true four door cab configuration. Nissan reportedly made the Frontier crewcab pretty ridged. Also, the Ranger engineering is old and the whole thing needs updating. The Nissan is updated. And it isn't a bad package, just an Asian nameplate. For that last reason alone I will NOT buy it.

IMO, the Ranger frame probably isn't up to the true four door cab configuration. Nissan reportedly made the Frontier crewcab pretty ridged. Also, the Ranger engineering is old and the whole thing needs updating. The Nissan is updated. And it isn't a bad package, just an Asian nameplate. For that last reason alone I will NOT buy it.

I'd be happy is they'd just make the SportTrac with a reasonably-sized bed. It's pricey, but I (like you) would prefer to buy American, if they'd just make what I'm looking for.

I think they make four door Rangers (fullsize doors) in Mexico and SA. at least they did. Same body style as up here.

I personally like two door supercabs but that may be because I had one and haven't had a four door version. It was hard to get big things out of (like 32in. tv's) but for groceries or small stuff it was fine. Loved the jump seats.

There are several other pics posted on this site of four door south american Rangers. I am really saying that they wouldn't maybe pass some of our impact standards as a result of the stretch. I am also being sarcastic towards Ford for not trying to sell the thing here. We get the Sport Trac with the big price tag and the little bed. South and Central Americans get the Ranger, with a much smaller price tag. Or at least that is what I have been lead to believe.

Then again the four door S-10 Chevy sold here, and sold very poorly. Go figure. Maybe it wouldn't be up scale enough for our market, and they would have to put big rebates on them to move product. Oh! excuse me. They do that with the ST!

There are several other pics posted on this site of four door south american Rangers. I am really saying that they wouldn't maybe pass some of our impact standards as a result of the stretch. I am also being sarcastic towards Ford for not trying to sell the thing here. We get the Sport Trac with the big price tag and the little bed. South and Central Americans get the Ranger, with a much smaller price tag. Or at least that is what I have been lead to believe.

Then again the four door S-10 Chevy sold here, and sold very poorly. Go figure. Maybe it wouldn't be up scale enough for our market, and they would have to put big rebates on them to move product. Oh! excuse me. They do that with the ST!

I think they make a Colorado crew cab, but that front end is just so ugly I just can't get past it.

I could be wrong, but I believe whether the "half doors" were standard or optional has/had to do with which engine the Ranger had. 4 liter equipped Ranger supercabs, pretty much were/are 4 doors and the 3 liter equipped Rangers the 4 doors are standard or optional...depending on the model. For example XLT or Sport, or FX4. I don't think the 4 cylinder supercab was ever available with 4 doors, big mistake, and now that Ford is trying to reduce the number of different options/versions of all it's vehicles, I'm sure the number of doors on supercabs will be one area they look long and hard at. Mazda's version of the Ranger no longer has the 3 liter engine, your choice is either a 4 cylinder or a 4 liter V6.

BTW, I noticed that dealers pretty much ran out of '08 Rangers in the beginning/middle of September....then suddenly they had them again, but the last of the '08s were all high end, automatic transmissioned supercabs....at least the ones I found on FordDirect.