ACORN & Voter Fraud

• 4 months later...

Did anybody hear that ACORN will now be involved with the 2010 census?

The U.S. Census is supposed to be free of politics, but one group with a history of voter fraud, ACORN, is participating in next year's count, raising concerns about the politicization of the decennial survey.

The Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now signed on as a national partner with the U.S. Census Bureau in February 2009 to assist with the recruitment of the 1.4 million temporary workers needed to go door-to-door to count every person in the United States -- currently believed to be more than 306 million people.

A U.S. Census "sell sheet," an advertisement used to recruit national partners, says partnerships with groups like ACORN "play an important role in making the 2010 Census successful," including by "help[ing] recruit census workers."

The bureau is currently employing help from more than 250 national partners, including TARGET and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), to assist in the hiring effort.

But ACORN's partnership with the 2010 Census is worrisome to lawmakers who say past allegations of fraud should raise concerns about the organization.

"It's a concern, especially when you look at all the different charges of voter fraud. And it's not just the lawmakers' concern. It should be the concern of every citizen in the country," Rep. Lynn A. Westmoreland, R-Ga., vice ranking member of the subcommittee for the U.S. Census, told FOXNews.com. "We want an enumeration. We don't want to have any false numbers."

ACORN, which claims to be a non-partisan grassroots community organization of low- and moderate-income people, came under fire in 2007 when Washington State filed felony charges against several paid ACORN employees and supervisors for more than 1,700 fraudulent voter registrations. In March 2008, an ACORN worker in Pennsylvania was sentenced for making 29 phony voter registration forms. The group's activities were frequently questioned in the 2008 presidential election.

ACORN spokesman Scott Levenson told FOXNews.com that "ACORN as an organization has not been charged with any crime." He added that fears that the organization will unfairly influence the census are unfounded.

"It will be the Census Bureau that determines the role and scope of its 300 national partners. ACORN is committed to a fair and accurate count," Levenson said.

The census is an official count of the country's population mandated by the U.S. Constitution. It is used to determine distribution of taxpayer money through grants and appropriations and the apportionment of the 435 seats in the House of Representatives. Every U.S. household unit, including those occupied by non-citizens and illegal immigrants, must be counted.

Westmoreland and Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, a member of the House census subcommittee, said the panel has held hearings to make sure the penalties for census takers committing fraud are clearly defined.

"I feel fairly confident that the penalties for an individual manipulating the count are pretty severe," Chaffetz said. The penalty for any fraudulent activity can be up to five years in jail.

Westmoreland said he hopes the Census Bureau will maintain its measures to ensure an accurate report.

"I feel comfortable right now with the people at the census department that they're going to put forth their best effort to have a fair count," he said.

The U.S. Census Bureau has refuted any suggestions that ACORN or any other groups will fraudulently and unduly influence the results of the census.

"The Census (Bureau) is a nonpartisan, non-political agency and we're very dedicated to an accurate account," bureau spokesman Stephen Buckner told FOXNews.com. "We have a lot of quality controls in place to keep any kind of systemic error or fraudulent behavior to affect the counts."

Buckner said the bureau received an overwhelming number of qualified applicants -- more than 1 million -- for the 140,000 census taker jobs filled to complete the first phase of the effort. Each applicant, he said, must take a basic skills exam, which includes reading a map and entering data into a handheld computer. Applicants are also subject to an FBI background check, he said.

But Buckner acknowledged that it is difficult to track an applicant's political background.

"I have no way of tracking any of that information," he said. "If somebody comes in to a position with a political agenda and their work exhibits that, there are rules against that," he said.

Buckner stressed the need for organizations like ACORN to assist in the effort, saying that "any group that has a grassroots organization that can help get the word out that we have jobs" is helpful.

In 2000, the U.S. Census Bureau had 140,000 partnerships from "national organizations to local and community organizations to elected officials," he said. "The list is as broad as the phone book."

I think there is a difference between voter fraud and voter registration fraud, can anybody cite a source where there was "voter fraud" by Acorn? Where they actually voted? I have seen at least 5 post's not including the title of this thread stating voter fraud. It's Typical of you guys to lie about this subject, your irony does not escape me, you are no better than the Acorn voter register people who falsified their registration forms.

Talk about hypocritical!

I think there is a difference between voter fraud and voter registration fraud, can anybody cite a source where there was "voter fraud" by Acorn? Where they actually voted? I have seen at least 5 post's not including the title of this thread stating voter fraud. It's Typical of you guys to lie about this subject, your irony does not escape me, you are no better than the Acorn voter register people who falsified their registration forms.

Talk about hypocritical!

What would be the point of falsifying voter registrations if not to falsify votes?

That would be like breaking into the vault of a bank and not taking any money.

What would be the point of falsifying voter registrations if not to falsify votes?

That would be like breaking into the vault of a bank and not taking any money.

Come on Nick, ANOTHER analogy?

My point is that there was NO voter fraud, it's a wonderful thing that we have a check on the voter registration so that there is no voter fraud. And yeah, some of the people who filled up the registration sheets were tweekers who just wanted to get their sheets filled up so they could go drink their wine and smoke their crack, not because they wanted to rig the election.

So can any of you that claimed voter fraud prove it? Acorn has not been charged or convicted of voter fraud. There is not one case of someone who voted improperly because of Acorn voter registration. Acorn had over 13,000 workers who were registering voters, do you really expect that everyone of them would do their job right? And just to clarify, only the govt. can register voters in the end, not non profit groups.

Get your facts straight people

so Nick say's that only 2,000 people registered in Washington?

And Ranger comes up with the math that 99.7% were fraudulent out of the 1.3 million registered voters, can you back that up Ranger? Yeah that's what I thought!

When did I say that? :headscratch: I said 6 of the 2000 that ACORN submitted were valid, not that only 2000 were submitted in the entire state. Learn to reeeeead. :confused:

And I never accused ACORN of anything specifically. I just find their methods to be highly suspect, as should everyone. To turn a blind eye to this sort of thing is just asking for more fraudulent behavior.

Edited by NickF1011

And Ranger comes up with the math that 99.7% were fraudulent out of the 1.3 million registered voters, can you back that up Ranger? Yeah that's what I thought!

Using Nick's example of 6 valid applications out of 2000 that would mean......

(1994/2000) x 100% = 99.7% fraudulent.

Don't be ashamed to admit your failure at math though. Obama's Secretary of the Treasury failed to pay his taxes because he can't figure how to use TurboTax!

Yes, regardless of who is reporting it, this is no doubt a major problem. I do recall reading that after an audit of ACORN voter registrations in Washington state in the last election, only 6 of some 2000 registrations they submitted were found to be valid. That's just staggering.

ok I retract my statement, you never said outright that there were ONLY 2,000 registrations. But yeah, nice cherry picking.

ok I retract my statement, you never said outright that there were ONLY 2,000 registrations. But yeah, nice cherry picking.

What cherry-picking? That's the statistic reported by an audit conducted by the state of Washington on voter registrations submitted by ACORN for that election. :shrug: If you're going to blame anyone for cherry-picking, blame Washington state.

What cherry-picking? That's the statistic reported by an audit conducted by the state of Washington on voter registrations submitted by ACORN for that election. :shrug: If you're going to blame anyone for cherry-picking, blame Washington state.

my point was that although I did not research how many people Acorn registered in the state of Washington I bet it was way more than 2,000

and to cherry pick one guy who just wanted to make some money and falsified his register form is not representative of all the Acorn workers. As a matter of fact let me quote the prosecutor in the case. Seems like you guys are on another witch hunt again.

" the misconduct was done "as an easy way to get paid [by ACORN], not as an attempt to influence the outcome of elections."[17][23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_o..._for_Reform_Now

my point was that although I did not research how many people Acorn registered in the state of Washington I bet it was way more than 2,000

and to cherry pick one guy who just wanted to make some money and falsified his register form is not representative of all the Acorn workers. As a matter of fact let me quote the prosecutor in the case. Seems like you guys are on another witch hunt again.

" the misconduct was done "as an easy way to get paid [by ACORN], not as an attempt to influence the outcome of elections."[17][23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_o..._for_Reform_Now

Ahh. ACORN's wikipedia entry. Undoubtedly the best source for information that might shine a bad light on them. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...