Flex Road Trip

fordmantpw

This past weekend we took our AWD Flex Limited on an 850 mile round-trip from central Missouri to Lincoln, Nebraska. I must say, the Flex is one fine touring machine. It rides like a dream, is quiet and comfortable, and gets great fuel economy!

We averaged 23.7 MPG on the trip up (with an AWD rated at 22 highway), and with the car only having 1000 miles when we left, it wasn't even broke in yet!

The seat heaters are great! I get lower back pain after sitting for a while, and the very comfortable seats almost completely eliminated that. Turn on the seat heaters, and the pain was gone completely. This is my first vehicle with seat heaters, and they are a must from now on!

The automatic temperature control worked excellent as well. This is our first vehicle with this feature, and I was impressed. We didn't touch it at all from the time we left home until we got back. Temperatue range outside was from 50 to 35 back to 60+ with sun, rain, clouds, etc, and we were comfortable the entire time. My wife is expecting and is over 6 months along, so that is saying a lot! :)

The DVD player kept our two small children (3 & 5) well occupied the entire trip. Keeping the kids comfortable for the trip was our biggest concern, and it turned out to be a non-issue. They were great, as long as they kept the headphones on! :) My wife and I were able to listen to Sirius as well, so it was a nice feature to have. Our kids also tend to get carsick, but with some anti-nausea wrist-bands, we had no issues with sickness at all (thank goodness)!!

Luggage room was plenty. I love the little storage area under the rear seats. We could place some smaller items under it, and we didn't even have to fold the rear seats down. What seemed like a small area for luggage turned out to be plenty of space.

Just wanted to let all those considering a Flex (as well as those bashing it) know that it is an awesome vehicle for road trips. It has been a great all-around vehicle for us so far, and we look forward to many more miles of motoring fun.

Edited by fordmantpw