A Lesson Learned

No_Fear

It's over, move on. Hopefully republicans learned how to be republicans again, and hopefully everyone remembers the middle is a good place to be.

Seriously, it worked didn't it? I think we did learn a lesson. Do you really think we are in the middle now? I'm not believing you just said that!

Seriously, it worked didn't it? I think we did learn a lesson. Do you really think we are in the middle now? I'm not believing you just said that!

Of course we aren't. We are just at the opposite end of the spectrum, which also isn't preferable. The middle would be. The point is repubs took the country too far right (and had an inept president in office), and the nation reacted. Expect to see the same thing happen to the dems if they take it too far to the left.

Edited by the_spaniard

Of course we aren't. We are just at the opposite end of the spectrum, which also isn't preferable. The middle would be. The point is repubs took the country too far right (and had an inept president in office), and the nation reacted. Expect to see the same thing happen to the dems if they take it too far to the left.

Why do you always play the blame game? Does the democratic congress have nothing to do with what has happened to our economy? In my estimation we are already too far left.

Why do you always play the blame game? Does the democratic congress have nothing to do with what has happened to our economy? In my estimation we are already too far left.

Ok, I don't believe for a second that democrats had NOTHING to do with this mess. I know how to read the voting record. And I don't think Mac is the anti-Christ either.

Also, like a large majority in this country, I believe Bush is inept. And yes, we are here in this mess because of both parties. Bush is still inept, in addition to that fact. I wouldn't trust him to make me a ham sandwich.

And to put things in perspective, I don't like the two party system at all.

The Democratic Party and Republican Party are polar opposites. The Republican Party is much more unified. Gingrich saw to that before he left office with the "contract with America" and his party before country philosophy. With few exceptions, they marched in unison.

On the other hand, the Democratic Party is much more diverse and even though they hold a commanding majority, the party is less cohesive. Unlike the Republican's the Democrats have liberals, conservatives, and moderates. Given the nature and makeup of the party, it's far more difficult reaching consensus. They will compromise and steer the course; thus the country down the middle or nothing will get passed.

The Democrats unlike the Republican's are several large factions under one umbrella and are far more resistant to the party leaders in voting for legislation that goes against their philosophy. Take the Republican example in the Senate over the Bush year's, you would see 1-3 Republican's, Chafee, Snow, and Collins at times take exception due to their electorate, but for the most part, they went along. You won’t see that with Democrats, at least after the "honeymoon". You will see a lot more resistance; it's just the nature of the party.

We don't have to be overly concerned with one-party rule with the Democrats. They better mirror the electorate with a highly diverse range of views. If they stay in the middle, I think they'll reach compromise and govern effectively, if they stray too far to the fringes, they won’t. For me, it's the beauty of the party.

The Democratic Party and Republican Party are polar opposites. The Republican Party is much more unified. Gingrich saw to that before he left office with the "contract with America" and his party before country philosophy. With few exceptions, they marched in unison.

On the other hand, the Democratic Party is much more diverse and even though they hold a commanding majority, the party is less cohesive. Unlike the Republican's the Democrats have liberals, conservatives, and moderates. Given the nature and makeup of the party, it's far more difficult reaching consensus. They will compromise and steer the course; thus the country down the middle or nothing will get passed.

The Democrats unlike the Republican's are several large factions under one umbrella and are far more resistant to the party leaders in voting for legislation that goes against their philosophy. Take the Republican example in the Senate over the Bush year's, you would see 1-3 Republican's, Chafee, Snow, and Collins at times take exception due to their electorate, but for the most part, they went along. You won't see that with Democrats, at least after the "honeymoon". You will see a lot more resistance; it's just the nature of the party.

We don't have to be overly concerned with one-party rule with the Democrats. They better mirror the electorate with a highly diverse range of views. If they stay in the middle, I think they'll reach compromise and govern effectively, if they stray too far to the fringes, they won't. For me, it's the beauty of the party.

Very true. The Democrats have always been, in my memory, more of a coalition than the Republicans. At times, it's been their weakness, and at times, it's been their strength. I suppose it depends on the issue at hand.

That said, if the GOP doesn't start addressing some of the changing demographics in this country, they're going to find it become progressively more difficult to move forward.

That said, if the GOP doesn't start addressing some of the changing demographics in this country, they're going to find it become progressively more difficult to move forward.

This is true.

I listen to a Latin/Spanish radio station on my commute most days. Before the election, I would hear political ads from Obama as well as new Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA) advertising to the Hispanic community in Spanish. NEVER heard a Republican ad.