570 openings at KTP

homerhero

We were told tonight that KTP would have 570 openings hopefully they will offer these to people who are laid off

Who is "we"?

I work at KTP and we were told this tonight, but from what it sounds like is that all the 570 will be coming from LAP.

None of us had any idea that there was that many openings at KTP. All we knew is that people that was on ILO that didn't take the buyout was coming back, 28 people from Michigan Truck that was suppose to transfer, and 18 people that had transfered to LAP from KTP volunteered to come back. The magic number we heard a few weeks ago was only like 275 openings and now it jumps to almost 600.

What has me wondering is how is this gonna effect the people that has worked at KTP thier whole career and only end up being pushed out of a job if times get worse. :finger:

I know that there are big things projected for the future of KTP but why the sudden need of so many employees? If I'm not mistaken you guys are only running one shift every other week. Prior to the economic downturn you guys ran a 3 shift AWS didn't you? Where did all of those people go? I hope the almost 600 number is correct. If so looks like you might be going back to a 3 shift AWS. Good Luck.

500 plus openings, hard to believe. who said this at ktp? as far as taking people from lap that opens up a big can of worms. would make since on the short term but longterm no unless lap is not getting new product. if there is no new product coming to lap these jobs would need to be filled by ktp home plant employes and then the senior employes. for this to happen an announcement of lap closing would have to be done. what about the $$25 billion for retooling existing suv plant to make fuel efficent vehicles. not to many plants that would meet the current criteria for that goverment aid package the way i see it. feel free to bash this post with your ideas!

jason

500 plus openings, hard to believe. who said this at ktp? as far as taking people from lap that opens up a big can of worms. would make since on the short term but longterm no unless lap is not getting new product. if there is no new product coming to lap these jobs would need to be filled by ktp home plant employes and then the senior employes. for this to happen an announcement of lap closing would have to be done. what about the $$25 billion for retooling existing suv plant to make fuel efficent vehicles. not to many plants that would meet the current criteria for that goverment aid package the way i see it. feel free to bash this post with your ideas!

jason

Not if you go the union meetings its there that you would find out this stuff.

I work at KTP as well and have heard nothing of this. We have so many extra people these days that I believe someone is blowing smoke up your ass. Also, there still is a likely hood of C crew in paint and body being eliminated. With this economy, we will be lucky if we can even hang onto one shift.

I agree totally. That number seems way off....

Yeah if you believe half of what they (UAW) are telling you, then I have a bridge I want to sell you.

Like the UAW knows what's going on. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

The UAW is about to sell us out!!! After the contract is reopened and all the concessions we give up by March,Gettlefinger will be setting good,hell he might even have a seat in Congress not just on GM's board!!!

I know that there are big things projected for the future of KTP but why the sudden need of so many employees? If I'm not mistaken you guys are only running one shift every other week. Prior to the economic downturn you guys ran a 3 shift AWS didn't you? Where did all of those people go? I hope the almost 600 number is correct. If so looks like you might be going back to a 3 shift AWS. Good Luck.

Yeah, rumors have been going around about whats in store for KTP, but who really knows whats true and whats not. We've been back on 2 shifts for 5 weeks now and will continue that after the retooling is done and we come back from our 7 weeks off. This is our last week and we are apparently running all the line completely empty.

jason

Yeah, we find it hard to believe as well. We have 8 people on our team that is either doing department transfers or recieved a bid job. I'm not sure if we will have all of our jobs covered or not. We did get 4 people back from ILO though. I do agree with what your saying about everything else. Seems like some kinda shady is starting to show if this is all true.

I work at KTP as well and have heard nothing of this. We have so many extra people these days that I believe someone is blowing smoke up your ass. Also, there still is a likely hood of C crew in paint and body being eliminated. With this economy, we will be lucky if we can even hang onto one shift.

My teamleader was told by two different commitee people this info lastnight, but this is coming from my teamleader that also likes to get people all riled up and start stuff. Someone also mentioned to me lastnight that we only have 8 months of work scheduled for 09'.

The UAW is about to sell us out!!! After the contract is reopened and all the concessions we give up by March,Gettlefinger will be setting good,hell he might even have a seat in Congress not just on GM's board!!!

I hope it doesn't come to that. If 600 KTP employees lose thier jobs over some shady shit you best believe the union hall will be filled with them and not a single person will walk in there. :hysterical:

What has me wondering is how is this gonna effect the people that has worked at KTP thier whole career and only end up being pushed out of a job if times get worse. :finger:

Does not matter.......who worked at the plant the longest. It's company time....nature of the Beast.:(

Well, I think its crap...

I'd like to know what kind of seniority these people are gonna have that come to KTP. All I see is myself going further and further down. :banghead:

the senoirity that leaves lap could not be the high senoirity according to the plans for the furure of lap noone wants to leave lap now because of the potential for a new CAR. if that was to be cancelled there will be some jobs lost. i dont think the union is going to make permanent transfers to ktp from lap without disclosing the future of lap. just my thoughts. but at this time with jsp going it is a guessing game at best.

yes we are all getting the HAIRCUT. it will be painfull hopefully not to bad. i will take equal pay i hate to say it. for those that do not want to, i hope you get another buyout.

for our local 862 isnt the big story here the implacations of this move for the future of LAP.

"i will take equal pay i hate to say it."

Sad, very sad! :drop:

It's a very sad day in America. I can believe he might mean that he would take equal pay that the transplants make, based on other posts that they make just about the same pay if not higher.

Don't belittle a guy for being pragmatic and preparing for the worse. IF you prepare like that and things turn out better, you have made a wiser decision. Who knows what's going to happen. From what I've read in the plan before Congress, not one word about what the UAW is being asked to do. It's just the Republican Senators (Corker / Shelby) shouting that the UAW has to do this and that.

If you use your thought process, then you know the ones spewing all this vile garbage to the media are also sitting back and laughing at the 'little people' starting to work against each other.

the senoirity that leaves lap could not be the high senoirity according to the plans for the furure of lap noone wants to leave lap now because of the potential for a new CAR. if that was to be cancelled there will be some jobs lost. i dont think the union is going to make permanent transfers to ktp from lap without disclosing the future of lap. just my thoughts. but at this time with jsp going it is a guessing game at best.

They already told all the utilities(same as AWOL coverage at KTP) that they will be working both shifts when we come back in Jan'09. There are also some other bid jobs that are working both shifts. I'm guessing after the people transfer over to KTP,there will be more people doing this. Or we will go to one shift.

I transferred over to LAP from KTP during the summer,did it to have the option of RTBU rights. Thats what the ones going over to KTP are doing.

If new product comes to LAP,they will be offered to return to LAP. If they close LAP,then they are already in place at KTP.

What is interesting is,i turned down the right to go back. Only way they say i can go back now is a ILO. But others were told that here too,and have been asked several times over the years if they want to go back. So take that with a grain of salt too. There is always little side deals that we have between our plants.

Yeah, I guess we will just have to see what happens. I'm more curious of how much time these people have than anything. It pisses me off that our commitee guy come by tonight and didn't say anything about these people coming and didn't tell us that we were gonna be back on 5-8's when we come back. We had to hear it through the grapevine. :banghead:

I transferred over to LAP from KTP during the summer,did it to have the option of RTBU rights. Thats what the ones going over to KTP are doing.

If new product comes to LAP,they will be offered to return to LAP. If they close LAP,then they are already in place at KTP.

What is interesting is,i turned down the right to go back. Only way they say i can go back now is a ILO. But others were told that here too,and have been asked several times over the years if they want to go back. So take that with a grain of salt too. There is always little side deals that we have between our plants.

So you originally started at KTP and transfered to LAP in July and now your back at KTP? I've heard different things about the call back rights. I personally think its shitty that if you transfer to a plant and then asked to go back and you refuse, you still get to come back and take someones job if something happens at that plant. IMO, it all comes down that you made your choice and now you should have to live with it. Thats crap too....lol

I have a buddy that went to LAP and his attitude is "I'll just bump someone if LAP closes" after the fact of already being asked to return to KTP. I thinks its BS that people can just bounce around from plant to plant when shit hits the fan and just knock people out of jobs.