EcoBoost in F150.

battyr

Do you guys think the Ecoboost V6 will actually make that much of a difference in MPG's in our big heavy trucks?

I've got an 04 FX4 Supercrew 5.4V8 right now. I do like 99% city driving and get 13mpg summer, 11mpg winter. I'd like to get a new truck but I see no point in buying the 09 with the same old 5.4 engine, even with the new 6-speed.

So I'm trying to wait it out for the 2011 models to arrive in fall 2010. Just trying to decide on the 5.0V8 or the EB-V6.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys think the Ecoboost V6 will actually make that much of a difference in MPG's in our big heavy trucks?

I've got an 04 FX4 Supercrew 5.4V8 right now. I do like 99% city driving and get 13mpg summer, 11mpg winter. I'd like to get a new truck but I see no point in buying the 09 with the same old 5.4 engine, even with the new 6-speed.

So I'm trying to wait it out for the 2011 models to arrive in fall 2010. Just trying to decide on the 5.0V8 or the EB-V6.

Yeah I do. Right now my truck has the 4.2l v6 and gets around 16-17 city. Now I notice you say "big heavy trucks", well the 4.2l only has around 205-210 hp. This hinders its fuel economy. The ecoboost will be putting out around 400hp, so lack of hp will no longer be an issue, yet you will still be driving a v6. In my opinion the ecoboost will definitely top the 4.2l and all the current engines in mpg.

I agree though I think the majority of the efficiency gains will be due to DI and the rest due to EB/TT boost permitting the use of the lower standing losses of only 6-cylinders in place of 8. Together (GTDI) might be worth 2-3 mpg (maybe a tad more?) over a 4.6 as long as your right foot asks for similar power. Ask for more and that 'gain' can dry up but, overall, I agree that the efficiency benefits are real. There are also ongoing calibration improvements that will help, like zero-fuel trailling throttle, that is largely independent of of DI or TT but more due to ongong R&D. The new six-speed truck tranny will help too (and will sit behind the 500HP 6.2 F-150 Raptor-R motor that will compete in offroad racing this year).

I am also waiting to see what kind of real horsepower these new engines will make. I have a 2000 f-150 5.4 with 235000 miles although its been a good truck I would like a diesel in a

f250 but do not like the 6.0 or 6.4. Ford doesn't understand that a more powerful gas engine is actually more efficient than a engine that is underpowered. If I can't afford this new 6.7 in a f250 then I will really consider a 5.0 in a f150 just hope that it has DI. I also don't like the sequential turbo idea. I think twin turbo's are good only for one on each bank of cylinders. But I think that ford actually shot themselves in the foot with these modular engines which are decent but have no room for larger bores. Anyway I'm tired of rambling on but my f150 has been a excellent truck and has towed anything that I have put behind it. Later

I am also waiting to see what kind of real horsepower these new engines will make. I have a 2000 f-150 5.4 with 235000 miles although its been a good truck I would like a diesel in a

f250 but do not like the 6.0 or 6.4. Ford doesn't understand that a more powerful gas engine is actually more efficient than a engine that is underpowered. If I can't afford this new 6.7 in a f250 then I will really consider a 5.0 in a f150 just hope that it has DI. I also don't like the sequential turbo idea. I think twin turbo's are good only for one on each bank of cylinders. But I think that ford actually shot themselves in the foot with these modular engines which are decent but have no room for larger bores. Anyway I'm tired of rambling on but my f150 has been a excellent truck and has towed anything that I have put behind it. Later

The H/Boss that goes in the SuperDutys has the larger bore spacing (about 4.5"). I think the 5.0 enhanced modular is initially w/o DI. The 6.2 H/Boss is DI, I believe. The diesels use sequential turbo but EcoBoost is two small turbos, one for each cylinder bank. Dunno if we'll see a 5.0 GTDI EcoBoost but that would be a really nice F150 engine, imo. Wouldn't mind one in a mustang either ;-)

The H/Boss that goes in the SuperDutys has the larger bore spacing (about 4.5"). I think the 5.0 enhanced modular is initially w/o DI. The 6.2 H/Boss is DI, I believe. The diesels use sequential turbo but EcoBoost is two small turbos, one for each cylinder bank. Dunno if we'll see a 5.0 GTDI EcoBoost but that would be a really nice F150 engine, imo. Wouldn't mind one in a mustang either ;-)

I used to draw some and one of the cars i drew was a fox body mustang that had a truckbed and for power i envisioned a 5.0 twinturbo quadcam engine with about 500 horses. I'll have to look around some to see if I can find it. Yeh that would be an awesome engine! :shades:

That sounds very cool, JDP! If you find it, would be great if you can post a pic when you get a chance. :happy feet:

I'm really hoping Ford will do a BOSS Mustang off the 5.0 DOHC Coyote too :) I had my '68 fastback back when Parnelli Jones and George Follmer were cleaning house in the TransAm in 170 ...really fun times just before the 'dark ages' -lol.

I also forgot to ask this about the F150 Ecoboost v6:

Do you think it will be available in all the models, like FX4, Lariat or Platinum too?

Will it require regular or premium gas?

Ford takes pride in not requiring premium fuel. It has for a long long time. So I bet this will only need regular.

I agree. I believe Ford recently stated that every new car/engine they release will run on 87 octane frm now on though the calibration will sense higher octanes and make slightly more torque with them, but all will run on 87.

Believe it or not, even the GT500 leaves Flat Rock with 2 gallons of 87 octane in the tank, even tho it's a "premium recommended" engine. Wouldnt have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes on two occasions one year apart.

Anyone heard if the EcoBoosts are going to be flex fuel. With turbocharging, you could really take advantage of a fuel with 105 octane. Plus ethanol evaporates much easier than gas and that could improve the cylinder cooling effect of DI.

In one of the press releases from forz about the ecoboost in the mkz(or what model it is) said the ecoboost was making 450hp on e85.

In one of the press releases from forz about the ecoboost in the mkz(or what model it is) said the ecoboost was making 450hp on e85.

That's a huge fuel flow ...equivalent on gas of flow needed to support about 635 HP! Across on 6 cylinders, I'd guess that's not a production MK_ and it must have somethihng like 48#/hr injectors (or larger) or dual injectors. If it's DI it would have to be a single, I think. ...very itneresting.

• 1 month later...