Airbag issue with 2006 Montego

SWIFTONE

You may have seen posts that I have made regarding quality issues with my Montego.

Never since I have been driving 1968 with 11 vehicles under my belt have I had anything like what I have experienced with my Montego. Short version is:

ABS sensor came on at 500 miles repaired,

At 2500 miles Main Airbag warning light came on. Light goes off when turned off. Dealer could not find code. It came on again and dealer still did not find code. Took car to another dealer at the suggestion of Ford customer service and a code was found relating to Occupant Classification System. Took car back to selling dealer(name will be provided on request) and suddenly they found same code.

Arranged with dealer to return car on Feb 27 for service only to be told that FORD is aware of the problem and is working on the problem.(Ford Techhotline)

Airbag light came on a month ago while driving alone and I immediately took it to my dealer and the code was the same refering to the occupant classification system.

Have been informed that there is to be a software update issued in May that should fix issue.

In addition the the 2 items above the following are also issues that I am/have had; GPS not recognizing address, struts and springs were already replaced(grinding banging when at slow speed-parking, there is a rattle in the passenger compartment that they do not hear, front seat leather is rippled and was replaced and ripples appear in the same spot( like maybe something underneath are causing the ripples),

brakes make excessive noise and more pressure when car is left overnight(told that brakes can be noisy on first application of brakes due to rust buildup on rotors overnignt) then 2 weeks ago oval dash clock stopped working.

Ford customer service, management offices and the local rep have been of absolutely no assistance.

The local rep said to me on Weds that the car has a warranty and will be fixed under the terms of the warranty.

The owner of the dealer also was of no use as when I approached him about the issue with the airbags his comment was "the car is a very safe car and airbags are supplemental to the seat belts and as long as the seat belts are worn occupants will be protected" Have been a customer for 13 yrs and bought 6 vehicles from them.

Have formally requested a replacement vehicle as I wonder what will go wrong next.

Just letting all know of my recent experiences.

FORD-FIX OR REPAIR DAILY

Yikes, sounds like you have a real mess with that car. I'm not surprised considering I've already seen 2 of them broken down on the roadside.

Just because they have avoided recalls doesn't mean quality is good.

And just because they were in the top 3 for the category for the J.D. Powers Initial Quality Survey doesn't mean quality is good either?

Man thats really weird because I stop everyone I see with one since I work at the plant that builds them and want to make sure people are enjoying their new cars, and everyone I talk to seems to love them. they have had no problems at all! I one man bought one of the first few and said he was going to get another one for his wife because the quality was so good! Thats a real bummer your having some issues with yours! I wish there was something I could do to help!

Man thats really weird because I stop everyone I see with one since I work at the plant that builds them and want to make sure people are enjoying their new cars, and everyone I talk to seems to love them. they have had no problems at all! I one man bought one of the first few and said he was going to get another one for his wife because the quality was so good! Thats a real bummer your having some issues with yours! I wish there was something I could do to help!

Everyone I spoke to loved the car as do I except for the problems.

There is a known problem with the occupant classification system in that it may not recognize weight of occupant in the passenger seat and thus may not deploy correctly.

If I was a betting man I would say that when I took it back to the selling dealer 2x they saw that the warning light was not lit and that was the end of the story.

When I took it to another dealer they ran the diagnostics for airbags and the code was found.

The light has come on 3x seat was occupied and unoccupied, comes on while driving.

Guess yr not the plant manager at Torrence Ave. Maybe he will be in a position to help me.

Guess my car was built on a Friday or Monday lol

my check engine light came on today, thinks its a bad gas cap it what i was told, but im still keeping upbeat about my 500, getting ready to take it to the dealer now, also i have a samll vibration in the front end sounds like a loose heat sheild going down the highway? anyone heard of that??

You may have seen posts that I have made regarding quality issues with my Montego.

Never since I have been driving 1968 with 11 vehicles under my belt have I had anything like what I have experienced with my Montego. Short version is:

ABS sensor came on at 500 miles repaired,

At 2500 miles Main Airbag warning light came on. Light goes off when turned off. Dealer could not find code. It came on again and dealer still did not find code. Took car to another dealer at the suggestion of Ford customer service and a code was found relating to Occupant Classification System. Took car back to selling dealer(name will be provided on request) and suddenly they found same code.

Arranged with dealer to return car on Feb 27 for service only to be told that FORD is aware of the problem and is working on the problem.(Ford Techhotline)

Airbag light came on a month ago while driving alone and I immediately took it to my dealer and the code was the same refering to the occupant classification system.

Have been informed that there is to be a software update issued in May that should fix issue.

In addition the the 2 items above the following are also issues that I am/have had; GPS not recognizing address, struts and springs were already replaced(grinding banging when at slow speed-parking, there is a rattle in the passenger compartment that they do not hear, front seat leather is rippled and was replaced and ripples appear in the same spot( like maybe something underneath are causing the ripples),

brakes make excessive noise and more pressure when car is left overnight(told that brakes can be noisy on first application of brakes due to rust buildup on rotors overnignt) then 2 weeks ago oval dash clock stopped working.

Ford customer service, management offices and the local rep have been of absolutely no assistance.

The local rep said to me on Weds that the car has a warranty and will be fixed under the terms of the warranty.

The owner of the dealer also was of no use as when I approached him about the issue with the airbags his comment was "the car is a very safe car and airbags are supplemental to the seat belts and as long as the seat belts are worn occupants will be protected" Have been a customer for 13 yrs and bought 6 vehicles from them.

Have formally requested a replacement vehicle as I wonder what will go wrong next.

Just letting all know of my recent experiences.

FORD-FIX OR REPAIR DAILY

• 2 weeks later...

This is just an update

The problem that I was having with the airbag light coming on was???

addressed by the Ford Tech hotline telling my dealer to install a new module in the vehicle that had?? the updated software in it.

On Tuesday Giggles was brought to the dealer to have that done. Only to get a phone call Weds morning that the module that they had received in replacement was the same as was in the car.

They obtained the module that will be installed in the 07's part number:

7G1Z*14B321*B SENSOR ASY-AIR BAG. It was installed in Giggles on Thursday.

We shall see how that works out and I will keep you informed if the problem returns.

Any ideas how I convince my wife to return to the front passenger seat as she will either sit in back or get places on her own power. No she does not drive.

• 2 weeks later...

We went away yesterday to Mass We are driving on the Mass pike and you guessed it the Main Airbag light came on.

Wonder what my dealer Smith Cairns will say now to that and yes I had my camera with me and took a picture. 2 dealers in Pittsfield and Great Barrington were not able to help till Monday.

Home now will pursue with Ford

Just wanted all of you to know that the fix did not work!!

• 2 weeks later...